Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pitch decision

Scorps

Scorps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm new to all this, and I would like to know what sort of pitch you all go for. Grass or hard standing?

Grass, if only because I've never been attracted by 'camping' on a patch of gravel or tarmac. Unless it's really muddy and/or there's a chance of an embarrassing wheel spin on the way out next morning.

I'm new to all this, and I would like to know what sort of pitch you all go for. Grass or hard standing?
As has been said, depends on the weather and what's available. We don't use a driveway awning so can take anything. Some hardstanding pitches don't allow such awnings.

depends on the weather and rain fall for us
Wet ground we go for hardstanding and dry we go for grass.
As has been said, depends on the weather and what's available. We don't use a driveway awning so can take anything. Some hardstanding pitches don't allow such awnings.
If you pre book you pitch and the weathers wet can you change?

That really depends on the Campsite and how full it is. No guarantees.

Outside of school holidays . Easy to change pitch several times .
At a campsite this evening ,few campers . So wondered around considering several pitches.
Grass pitches is our preference if not too wet.

So your relying on the British weather if you book in advance :Nailbiting
No. I have a 4Motion so wet grass doesn't bother me. The last thing a well run campsite wants is damaged pitches, so grass pitches are normally well drained or closed during winter. So, no problem.

If booking ahead tend to go hard standing as think it is easier to change to grass if all is well with the wet than changing from grass to hard standing.

As long as i got the best view i don't bother where i stand on.
If you prefer only hardstanding you will miss out on some great views...

We believe camping / campervanning is about being spontaneous and natural, so we always choose grass over hard standing - if available, even if it means missing out on EHU. Our children love being able to run barefoot from the van without having to negotiate sharp pointy stones! As mentioned above, the view or position of the pitch is often far more important than the surface, so you have to be flexible. Just turn up and see what is available - though obviously if pre-booking for a week s holiday that is not so easy!!! Whatever you do, just enjoy it for what it is...

Grass for preference.

At a C&CC site earlier this year we parked at the edge of a hard standing pitch and put the awing out over the grass. We got moaned at for contravening the 6mtr rule.

In fact the space was 7 metres wide and we still left 6 metres between us and the next van....I was counseled out of making an issue out of it. Discretion being the better part of valour.

Alan

Back