Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Planning for my first trip in the Netherlands

L

Light Footprint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach 199
I will pick up my California Beach T6.1 204HP DSG 4MOTION 2.0 TDI this Friday in the Netherlands and look forward to a one-night trip to test it out. I guess one night as a real novice will teach me quickly what all I need to buy/set-up to manage camping during the winter. Though I plan to slowly buy the most essential items I would be grateful for some tips already. I know there are a number of threads about what to buy which Ill look into. However, it would be useful for any recommendations specifically related to the Netherlands. In 2024 I plan to travel solo for longer extended times - hopefully working from the Beach but for 2023 I will slowly get it all organized and stay closer to home!

For example:

1) any recommended campsites (allows a dog) in nature - by the ocean here in NL for a great start? Or which websites are useful to find nice camping locations?
2) where to buy basics (e.g. kitchen items)
3) Is it recommended to sign up to ANWB or another roadside assistance?
4) I understand a diesel heater might be really important - any suggestions where to buy one?
5)I would like to buy a campervan awning - nice space to work in a "mobile"home office besides some room for Akira (my dog) and for some more space. Any recommendation? I love the look of the Vango Kela V air low but I dont think they sell them here.
6) Any recommended coolbox?

Many thanks!

5)I would like to buy a campervan awning - nice space to work in a "mobile"home office besides some room for Akira (my dog) and for some more space. Any recommendation? I love the look of the Vango Kela V air low but I dont think they sell them here.
I can’t help you on your Netherlands questions (sadly it’s probably 20+ years since we camped there, but we have nice memories of a fab site near Apeldoorn recommended by a Dutch family we met in Cornwall. You’re certainly in the right country for choice!

Regards awnings, we have a Vango Kela V in the polycotton (TC) material, and used it for a year or so. It’s a good quality awning, and while it’s heavier than the equivalent nylon/polyester material, it has some good advantages over it, especially the breathable aspect, and robustness. The only 2 negative things I’d say are 1) it doesn’t offer a porch area - you can buy king poles to make a porch / canopy of the front (which we have) but not a full time porch, and 2) the space is only good for 2 people, and not 2 people plus a dog - depending on size. Interestingly, the 2023 Vango brochure has the Kela V as the only awning you now can buy in polycotton as the material is comparatively expensive.

We recently managed to buy a Galli III awning in polycotton (last of the 2022 production), and plan to use this for longer summer stays, and hosting family visits to sites. It’s a bigger affair, with a sleeping zone, living zone, and a good sized porch.

At a recent camping show, we also liked an Outdoor Revolution awning, about the same size as the Galli III, which had a poled porch area, but only available in nylon material. It would be a good option though.

Many thanks Hawthorn37 for taking the time to respond. I will travel a lot alone so I need to make sure the size is manageable to set-up. I'll keep looking. Cheers!

Many thanks Hawthorn37 for taking the time to respond. I will travel a lot alone so I need to make sure the size is manageable to set-up. I'll keep looking. Cheers!
Ah in that case the Kela V could be okay for you. We plan to keep and use ours for shorter trips. It’s also proved to be good in the wind, standing up to 70kph winds this year.

I will pick up my California Beach T6.1 204HP DSG 4MOTION 2.0 TDI this Friday in the Netherlands and look forward to a one-night trip to test it out. I guess one night as a real novice will teach me quickly what all I need to buy/set-up to manage camping during the winter. Though I plan to slowly buy the most essential items I would be grateful for some tips already. I know there are a number of threads about what to buy which Ill look into. However, it would be useful for any recommendations specifically related to the Netherlands. In 2024 I plan to travel solo for longer extended times - hopefully working from the Beach but for 2023 I will slowly get it all organized and stay closer to home!

For example:

1) any recommended campsites (allows a dog) in nature - by the ocean here in NL for a great start? Or which websites are useful to find nice camping locations?
2) where to buy basics (e.g. kitchen items)
3) Is it recommended to sign up to ANWB or another roadside assistance?
4) I understand a diesel heater might be really important - any suggestions where to buy one?
6) Any recommended coolbox?

Many thanks!

Loved our trip to the NL a few years ago. Great coastline and equally lovely interior. I’ll dig out a few sites we stayed at. ACSI guides are really good as well.

I like this area around here. It’s not too far to go with some great cycling and food stops. Worth popping into Brugge on the way home too.
I won’t give you my favourite campsite, but there’s plenty to choose from :thumb

3CA837FA-DFA6-4800-A005-635151EF65BE.jpeg

One of the best campsites of the Netherlands (in our view) is just in the middle of your circle ... :cool:

I wonder if it’s the same campsite we like…?
My lad loves the table football in the garage space. The site is really well looked after with great facilities and central to that area.
I’m back there in May.