Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential Purchases from Campervan Bits

Blackbrogue1962

Blackbrogue1962

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Pick up of our new Ocean confirmed for early in the New Year and, as recommended from an earlier post, we plan to stop at Campervan Bits on the way back home to Scotland. I know that there are plenty of threads on essential accessories, but grateful for views on the items I plan to buy at Campervan Bits that may not be quite as easy to see and purchase elsewhere. Items I’m thinking of buying are:

- Comfortz windscreen cover
- Spare wheel lock
- Levelling ramps - maybe not essential?
- Water filler hose - suggested length?
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring)
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189?
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts?

Depending on my wife’s liking I’ll probably pick up a Ridge Monkey XL along with folding kettle, pots and pans etc but I’m know I can buy these items locally from GoOutdoors etc and once I’ve worked out what we really need. So happy to trawl through existing threads.

Any thoughts or advice grateful received - just need to get Christmas out the way then we can have some proper fun!

Pick up of our new Ocean confirmed for early in the New Year and, as recommended from an earlier post, we plan to stop at Campervan Bits on the way back home to Scotland. I know that there are plenty of threads on essential accessories, but grateful for views on the items I plan to buy at Campervan Bits that may not be quite as easy to see and purchase elsewhere. Items I’m thinking of buying are:

- Spare wheel lock
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring)
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189?
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts?

Depending on my wife’s liking I’ll probably pick up a Ridge Monkey XL along with folding kettle, pots and pans etc but I’m know I can buy these items locally from GoOutdoors etc and once I’ve worked out what we really need. So happy to trawl through existing threads.

Any thoughts or advice grateful received - just need to get Christmas out the way then we can have some proper fun!
You will find there are many different opinions about which bits of your list are essential and which ones aren't. You will probably only find most of them out by trying yourself so I won't give my opinion on that but to answer the questions.

For leveling ramps, we use the milenco triple. They are wide enough for the tyres and the pronounced grooves help you feel as you go up each step.

Hookup cable 25m. I think that's the standard one. On many sites a 10m would be enough, but there is always that one site it won't reach on. I have never been anywhere the 25m wouldn't reach

The brandrup fitted carpet is very nice and cosy, fits perfectly, the drawer goes over it fine and seems to wear well so I would recommend it even if it is a bit expensive.

We don't use seat covers, but we do find the light fabric water marks quite easily when cooking etc. But they scrub up ok afterwards. A throw or temporary cover for when you are cooking would help if you don't enjoy washing the fabric.

Enjoy your new van, we always find it takes a good few trips out with a selection of different equipment before you find what works best for you and the particular van you have. But in general the least equipment you can manage with the better it is for packing and space. But inevitably you will have to buy and try some of it before deciding it's not needed and selling again !

You will find there are many different opinions about which bits of your list are essential and which ones aren't. You will probably only find most of them out by trying yourself so I won't give my opinion on that but to answer the questions.

For leveling ramps, we use the milenco triple. They are wide enough for the tyres and the pronounced grooves help you feel as you go up each step.

Hookup cable 25m. I think that's the standard one. On many sites a 10m would be enough, but there is always that one site it won't reach on. I have never been anywhere the 25m wouldn't reach

The brandrup fitted carpet is very nice and cosy, fits perfectly, the drawer goes over it fine and seems to wear well so I would recommend it even if it is a bit expensive.

We don't use seat covers, but we do find the light fabric water marks quite easily when cooking etc. But they scrub up ok afterwards. A throw or temporary cover for when you are cooking would help if you don't enjoy washing the fabric.

Enjoy your new van, we always find it takes a good few trips out with a selection of different equipment before you find what works best for you and the particular van you have. But in general the least equipment you can manage with the better it is for packing and space. But inevitably you will have to buy and try some of it before deciding it's not needed and selling again !
any suggestions for minimum length of water hose?

You might invest some time exploring Mattress / Topper options while you are there.
we tried inflatable and Duvalay but have since got an IXTEND which we find more comfortable and much easier / quicker to make the bed up or to revert to seating than inflating / deflating or unrolling / rolling. We found just the bare Ocean seats much more uncomfortable than we naively expected.

cables we use 10m where we can, but also carry a 25m.

if you plan sleeping up top, take a look at the ladder they stock as well.

Make sure you join us the club to get the discount, you’ll find that the are really competitive on most things, I’ve bought pretty much everything from the store as if you bulk buy to get the free postage no one else gets near price wise

Windscreen wrap is a good shout. Comfortz is a good brand, or Rainbow.
Spare Wheel Lock - we have one, we haven't fitted it. Our tyre is still there. We've also never needed the tyre either come to think of it.
Levelling Ramps - depends where you're planning to camp. If you're at CAMC sites etc, then it's not really vital. Most sites or similar are level enough. They're big and bulky; and the California isn't suited to either of those descriptions :D
Water Filler Hose - yes, along with the cap. Makes life easy.
Portapotti - yes, but make sure you actually need/want one. Unless you have an awning to put it in or solo camping, I doubt you/other thalf would be comfortable taking a hygene break in the middle of the floor of a small campervan. Personal opinion though.
Carpet - absolutely. Worth every penny for the added comfort feel.
Seat Covers - even without our little monsters, we'd have covers on. They are notorious for staining even from water. Food will splutter. Drinks will fall. You will come back to the van wet and muddy at times. For all those and more, seat covers are really vital.
Ridge Monkey - really useful; good to have.

Other ones to consider;

Isotop liner for the roof
Carpet for the boot - good for sound deadening.
Carpet for the front and steps

Do not get a bungee strap. You do not need it; you simply need to follow instructions and take due care. Bungees often cause more harm than good (ie - additional tension around the bellows 'midrim' and pulling it away from the corners of the van.

any suggestions for minimum length of water hose?
I've never used a hose, I don't like to move the van just to get water, so I use a watering can and wander over to the tap with it. The California tank is quite small really so we would have to drive over and refill it every day.

Make sure you join us the club to get the discount, you’ll find that the are really competitive on most things, I’ve bought pretty much everything from the store as if you bulk buy to get the free postage no one else gets near price wise
I’ll certainly join the club but my plan is to place an order and collect.

Windscreen wrap is a good shout. Comfortz is a good brand, or Rainbow.
Spare Wheel Lock - we have one, we haven't fitted it. Our tyre is still there. We've also never needed the tyre either come to think of it.
Levelling Ramps - depends where you're planning to camp. If you're at CAMC sites etc, then it's not really vital. Most sites or similar are level enough. They're big and bulky; and the California isn't suited to either of those descriptions :D
Water Filler Hose - yes, along with the cap. Makes life easy.
Portapotti - yes, but make sure you actually need/want one. Unless you have an awning to put it in or solo camping, I doubt you/other thalf would be comfortable taking a hygene break in the middle of the floor of a small campervan. Personal opinion though.
Carpet - absolutely. Worth every penny for the added comfort feel.
Seat Covers - even without our little monsters, we'd have covers on. They are notorious for staining even from water. Food will splutter. Drinks will fall. You will come back to the van wet and muddy at times. For all those and more, seat covers are really vital.
Ridge Monkey - really useful; good to have.

Other ones to consider;

Isotop liner for the roof
Carpet for the boot - good for sound deadening.
Carpet for the front and steps

Do not get a bungee strap. You do not need it; you simply need to follow instructions and take due care. Bungees often cause more harm than good (ie - additional tension around the bellows 'midrim' and pulling it away from the corners of the van.
Thanks a really helpful reply and exactly the type of advice I was looking for!

I went away last weekend on my first trip out in the van. I didn’t use levelling ramps, portapotti or ladder (all purchased whilst waiting for the van).

I did use a windscreen cover which is a big improvement over the built in ones. A 25m hookup cable, as there is little difference in cost to a 10m. Seat Covers were put on the day I picked up the van and even then they got stained whilst fitting them as it was raining!

I picked up a cheap mat/carpet from Dunelm and The Range.

I haven’t worked out the water system and found I didn’t need it, as I took a big water bottle for drinking and hand wipes. Everything else was on site. I did use an electric heater whilst on hookup rather than the diesel heater (Kampa Cube).

We bought a collapsible water carrier from the shop. Think it was 10l and it’s what I use to fill the water tank. I also got a filler attachment from somebody online which helps a lot. (Chrisatheathpark is his name). Brandrup tie down for the awning is very good. We use dunelm carpets but may get the brandrup as you can open the drawers easier with them. We also got the dunelm seat to place over the Thetford but I think the shop now has something similar.
Best of luck.

- Spare wheel lock

That’s a good starting list Including a ridge monkey. I would recommend you look at Rainbow Screens too for your windscreen cover. They are very well made with a great range of colours and they can put a graphic on the screen should you wish to have one.

We bought a cheap metal kettle with a slim profile that fits the bill nicely.
I have a slim profile SS 725W electric kettle and slides nicely into a gap in the cupboard. The kettle plays nicely with the EF Delta 2 and takes a few mins to boil 0.75L of water (max capacity of the kettle).

I have a slim profile SS 725W electric kettle and slides nicely into a gap in the cupboard. The kettle plays nicely with the EF Delta 2 and takes a few mins to boil 0.75L of water (max capacity of the kettle).
thanks - got a link?
We have a collapsible electric kettle, which distresses the Mrs in the same way.

We bought a collapsible water carrier from the shop. Think it was 10l and it’s what I use to fill the water tank. I also got a filler attachment from somebody online which helps a lot. (Chrisatheathpark is his name). Brandrup tie down for the awning is very good. We use dunelm carpets but may get the brandrup as you can open the drawers easier with them. We also got the dunelm seat to place over the Thetford but I think the shop now has something similar.
Best of luck.
I would second the filler attachment… really well designed simple bit of kit and if using a folding water container then it takes up virtually no space at all. We like to take two kettles so we can either use gas or electric if on EHU … not because I am a tight Yorkshire man but it is easier if you only use the gas for cooking as it is a handy work surface for the copious amounts of tea making! Dunhelm cube to hide the porta-potti is another essential for us (only use at night…otherwise it is a great footstool). Hope you enjoy your Cali as much as we are doing.

I prefer cooking outside where possible so have the little Campingaz stove (Mk3 is latest and safest) but beware: use properly and make sure the canister is aligned !!! Main hookup: I use 2 x 10m, one stored under the drivers seat and the other by the battery box under the bonnet. One is ofter enough, but 2nd can provide up to 20m when connected together - the problem with 20m is most people keep a lot of it coiled, which can be catastrophic!!!

I prefer cooking outside where possible so have the little Campingaz stove (Mk3 is latest and safest) but beware: use properly and make sure the canister is aligned !!! Main hookup: I use 2 x 10m, one stored under the drivers seat and the other by the battery box under the bonnet. One is ofter enough, but 2nd can provide up to 20m when connected together - the problem with 20m is most people keep a lot of it coiled, which can be catastrophic!!!
Catastrophic?

I can't recommend them. I'll drink anything, but the Mrs doesn't like the taste, presumably from the rubber. We bought a cheap metal kettle with a slim profile that fits the bill nicely.
Ditto. folding kettle can also be dangerous.....

- Spare wheel lock

Agree with most you’ve listed… but additional:
A mattress is essential. Next thing on my list before a long trip. I’m considering the ‘sea to summit, California foam self inflating one.’
Side carpets so you can wipe your feet before getting in and double sided Velcro to make them stay.

Agree with most you’ve listed… but additional:
A mattress is essential. Next thing on my list before a long trip. I’m considering the ‘sea to summit, California foam self inflating one.’
Side carpets so you can wipe your feet before getting in and double sided Velcro to make them stay.

before going down the inflatable mattress route, please consider how you are going to use it.
if you are touring, i found inflating and deflating on a daily basis a right pain and a real faff. (the same as i did rolling and unrolling Duvavlays). if you are stationary at one location then that then is not really an issue, but having bought an inflatable, then Duvalay's and still not being really happy for daily bed making / unmaking we then found the ease of the IXTEND a real game changer. Obviously other brands of all are avaliable, but please learn from our mistakes, and really consider your needs before spending money. Luckily the IXTEND i bought was a barely used bargain, but if i was to to it all over again, i would bite the bullet and get a IXTEND from the Club Shop and be done with it.

side carpets for wiping your feet is a great idea - hadn't thought of that!

:)

We have an expanding one
2m is long enough and short enough to roll up and stow. I stow mine in the engine bay on top of the battery. We don't drink van stored water but handy for light washing up duties and using the shower (dog wetsuits muddy boots)

My experience for extension cord: one of 10 meter and on of 20 meter. Only used the combo once.
likewise a 10 and 20m carried onboard.
I prefer to use the 10m where possible as it's less cable on the ground as a potential trip hazzard