Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Devon Afternoon Meet 23rd March ** This weekend ** Details Here
    Derbyshire Afternoon Meet - 30th March Details Here
    Gloucester Weekend Meet - 17-19 May Details Here

Dismiss Notice

Planning my first major road trip to Salou, but have no idea what on earth i'm doing? Please help!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by MarkVw2017, Mar 6, 2019.

1. briwy

briwy Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Agree. We are going down the Pyrenees now and decided to amble down the coast avoiding the toll roads for a change. Completely knackered after 400 miles driving at 80 and all the villages at 30. Many places in France are beautiful but there is also a lot really boring country to cover which are best done on motorways. A lot are free as well so it's not all pay.

2. Amarillo

Amarillo Tom Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Below is the template to cut the wood for the two crates and two trays from a single sheet of 8' x 4' x 12mm plywood.
    plywood crate template.jpg

I used 28mm diameter hardwood dowel for the carry handles, and drilled 6mm deep holes in the 12mm ply with a 28mm Forstner drill bit to secure the dowel. Each crate and tray had three coats of clear satin yacht varnish.

A sheet of plywood is under £30.
    Cutting service £20.
    Dowel £10.
    Plus screws, sandpaper and varnish.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jeff hughes

Jeff hughes VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:
    We found having a sat nav On in the back ground took the stress away from the driver (me)it even showed me which way to go round the roundabout, while you could then use the map to enjoy the journey without the pressure of getting things wrong,it’s really easy and it will be a great adventure don’t plan every if you like a place enjoy it with the family and there is always next time,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. David Marsh

David Marsh VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    I'm following this thread as we normally use the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry in a pet friendly cabin. Sadly those cabins are chocker block so we have booked to go through the tunnel next Saturday and drive down to 12578 Cervera del Maestre in Spain. As we are going to be away for a couple of months or so, we have plenty of time and so are going to try to get to our destination without having to use the toll roads......were only on t' pension. As it's early in the season we have been looking through this years ACSI book only to find many of the sites will be still closed, which is a shame. As we don't wild camp we just need sites that have the basic facilities, nowt fancy. Oh, and we're going in an Auto-Sleeper.......shame on me!!!! Any suggestions as to route and or sites would be appreciated.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Use the Archie’s App, link posted in Post 12 first page.
    Gives site opening dates, GPS and contact number + website if they have one. All the sites are overlayed over Google maps. Also Route Planner.
    On map Grey Icons = Campsite Closed at present. Green Icon = Campsite Open
    Red Icon = Discount with Camping Card.
    FE1C7029-3FCA-446A-8D81-9363D8E71D75.png

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  6. MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    You rrally need to put them for sale on thr club shoo @Amarillo
    wow, that looks amazing, thank you!!!!!

7. Amarillo

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I did wonder if the Club Shop would be interested in selling ready cut kits.

Tray
    IMG_2043.JPG

Crate
    IMG_2045.JPG

But the big advantage with DIY is the bespoke aspect. My crates are designed so that two 907 gas bottles will fit between them, and can be slid out in their own fiberglass box while keeping the bed above intact. (It is also a happy coincidence that a single (unboxed) 907 bottle and a Cadac Safari Chef will pack into the same space.)

IMG_2046.JPG

One design will not suit all.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  8. MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017 VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    My wife was very impressed!! I cannot even use a screwdriver, but thanks for all the info, might have a wonder down to bandq tomoz :thumb

9. Amarillo

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    If you do decide to make the plywood crates, you do need to drill pilot holes before screwing, or the plywood will splinter. The pilot hole in the top piece the full diameter of the screw, and the pilot hole in the bottom piece the diameter of the screw less the thread.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Ksar-el-kebir

Ksar-el-kebir VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    If you take the ferry, Economie is not a good idea with children. Great crew and cabin staff but nothing to do.

11. kp64zl

kp64zl VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Hi @Ksar-el-kebir -- I'm thinking of this too -- what is there 'to do' on the normal (non-economie) ferry's please? (for children)

12. Ksar-el-kebir

Ksar-el-kebir VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    Usually there is a soft play area, cartoons etc and quite often an entertainer on Brittany Ferries.

13. briwy

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Not just that but your Cali will be open deck so gets plastered on salt.

14. David Marsh

David Marsh VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    I've give up. I'm going through the tunnel tomorrow afternoon and driving down without using toll roads to 12578 Cervera del Maestre in Spain. I'll just take my time, have the odd brew hither and yon plus a few tasty nosebags. Probably use a few Aires. Effie the effin' dog has her coat packed just in case there a touch of snow getting over the hills into Spain.

15. briwy

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    David. No snow over the Pyrenees into Spain. Just driven down to Barcelona from our place at Cauterets through the Bielsa tunnel. Used this a lot and recommend it. Stunning road down on the Spanish side. Check the weather though, no snow at our house today but two weeks ago there was a metre there so it can change rapidly. You can check if the tunnel is open online. 23 degrees here today

16. David Marsh

David Marsh VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 174
    Year:
    Thanks for that, we use the Bielsa sometimes and only once in the last seventeen years have we had to really watch the ice. We've only had snow in our village twice in the last hundred years....so they say.....we've seen it once.....it lasted about twenty minutes. Mind you, we are going this time in an Auto-Sleepers rear wheel drive. Bit more room for slumming it.

17. LemonDrop

LemonDrop Lifetime VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Brittany Ferries is brilliant for kids. Ours are 7 and 9 and have grown out of the soft play (thank goodness as it is complete anarchy in there :Nailbiting). But they do like the entertainer in the bar. Again pretty chaotic and very loud, especially the "disco" bit at the end but hey, if they're happy, we're happy! There is a cinema on-board (never been, tickets sell out straight away; as soon as people board they start queuing and we're not that organised). We find having a wander round the ship exploring all the decks (a fave is going right up to the top deck), watching while we leave port etc. takes up a fair bit of time and once you've had something to eat there is really not that much time left. Top-tip if you can afford it is to get a cabin. We always end up spending an hour or two relaxing with a cup of tea in the cabin to escape the complete mayhem that is a Brittany Ferry in the school holidays.

18. Tom Rae

Tom Rae VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    Can I suggest Villanova Park at Villanova le Geltru, very nice site, loads of facilities and a bus into Barcelona from the door!

Just back, 3300 miles, the California is superb for just such a jaunt, enjoy.

Tom

19. Tom Rae

Tom Rae VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    Can I also suggest the ACSI app? Looking through the ACSI map then books can be a pain to find a site open and with the facilities you want but the app has a filter and you can set the criteria you need and it will show you what is available locally including aires. We found it very useful.

Tom