Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Points/insurance

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Stupidly picked up my first ever points (nipped through some traffic lights in Glasgow as they went red- too late - OOPS!). Three of the little gits.

Never had any before but was wondering, do I have to let insurers (Comfort for the van, Swiftcover for the other one) know now or just at renewal?

I would let them know asap as they will use any excuse not to pay out if you put in a claim, I very much doubt if it will affect your premium as I had 9 points not so long ago and they just keep it on record

KernowLad said:
Stupidly picked up my first ever points (nipped through some traffic lights in Glasgow as they went red- too late - OOPS!). Three of the little gits.

Never had any before but was wondering, do I have to let insurers (Comfort for the van, Swiftcover for the other one) know now or just at renewal?

Agree with Martin, tell them asap. It is your obligation to declare any changes during your period of cover.

I've had to declare 3 points for a few years and it's never made much, if any, difference to the premium.

Will call them both then. DAMN DAMN AND DAMN! I dabbed the brakes to stop (realising I'd left it a bit late) but decided I'd probably upset the kids if I slammed to a halt so rolled slowly through. ERROR!

Both companies informed - no effect on premium; yet!

I know what you mean Matt about camera's on traffic lights, I think they are bloody dangerous especially if you know they are there. We have some near where we live and I have locked up a few times as soon as they go to amber nearly causing a pile up.

Martin said:
I know what you mean Matt about camera's on traffic lights, I think they are bloody dangerous especially if you know they are there. We have some near where we live and I have locked up a few times as soon as they go to amber nearly causing a pile up.

There were a couple of technicalites I could have moaned about but thought maybe if I just cooperated without mentioning them, I might get a fine only as I've never had points before. Lesson learned! It was technically wrong but still a bit of a pain - I'd also have ended up stopping right in the middle of a cross roads if I had slammed on the anchors.

We have some near where we live and I have locked up a few times as soon as they go to amber nearly causing a pile up

Technically not your fault, people behind should be driving at a speed & distance where by they can stop if the vehicle in front does.

Try doing lights in a 16.5 meter vehicle & seeing lights change to amber out of the corner of your eye as you cross the junction. Some lights change to amber & very quickly to red. Not worth pushing it under any circumstances in my opinion.

Being a points noob (!), is it normal to get the counterpart sent back with a receipt for the fine but no card part? It's been a while now and I have a feeling if I have to chase, I'll get nowhere.

Do they send it off to the DVLA or something?

I had points hand written on a licence years ago. I believe they have to go back to DVLA as they also keep a record of the points as well.
If you are missing the card part I would definitely chase it up because your licence is incomplete if you do not have both parts.

Your license is not sent to DVLA. It will be handled by the central ticket office for the police force that cover your area. They will record the points on your license counter part (paper bit) and then should return both parts back to you.
I suggest you contact your local police force by dialing 101 and asking them where your card is.

Further to the above. I have made the assumption that your points were from the same force area that you live in. Obviously if they are different then you would need to contact the police from the area where the misdemeanor was alleged to have been committed.

Back