Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Polly goes to South Devon

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hello fellow campers - this year we are doing a mini tour of South Devon.
It will be my wife, Golden retriever and myself. We are experimenting with fewer stop overs this year visiting only three campsites with our theory being we will do more exploring around these locations.
We will be starting in Salcombe before moving on to Dartmouth before finishing off in Brixham.

Any tips on where to visit? If you see us out and about say hello - I’ll post pictures of our trip ( as these are my favourite types of post to read)

0703296C-8358-4710-890D-1CCB5B4EEF97.jpeg

Hello fellow campers - this year we are doing a mini tour of South Devon.
It will be my wife, Golden retriever and myself. We are experimenting with fewer stop overs this year visiting only three campsites with our theory being we will do more exploring around these locations.
We will be starting in Salcombe before moving on to Dartmouth before finishing off in Brixham.

Any tips on where to visit? If you see us out and about say hello - I’ll post pictures of our trip ( as these are my favourite types of post to read)

View attachment 95398
River Cruise from Dartmouth to Totnes is good.
The River Shack at Stoke Gabriel is a great lunch spot (and maybe do some crabbing off the tidal barrier?)
Wildlife cruise from Brixham for some dolphin spotting. Rockfish restaurant in Brixham is a bit special.

Greenway House (Agatha Christie, NT) is worth a visit from Dartmouth; there’s a nice walk along the west side of the Dart to get to Dittisham, lunch in the ferryboat (or anchorstone cafe) and passenger ferry over to Greenway. You can then walk back to Kingswear down the East bank, another really nice walk, and get the ferry back over to Dartmouth. A great day out. Or you can a get a ferry one or both ways to cut back on the walking depending on what you’re after.
Cafe Alf Resco in Dartmouth is a must do, one of my favourites - crab platter or loads of other brilliant, fresh choices. Theres a Rockfish in Dartmouth too for dinner, or a couple of decent upmarket (posh, expensive) places too.
From Salcombe, fantastic walk round to Hope Cove round the coast. We normally stay in in Hope Cove (Karageen, great site) and do it the other way ie. Hope Cove to Salcombe and then get the bus back to Marlborough, then a wander through the lanes back to the campsite, but no reason you couldn’t start at Salcombe.
Personally not a fan of the Torquay side and Brixham, so don’t know it so well, but the steam train back down to Kingsear or over to Totnes is worth a ride, and Totnes is worth a visit.
And of course Dartmoor is on your doorstep; wonderful.
Visit to Sharpham vineyard.
Pax Ferry out to Dartmouth Castle, nice wander back.
I could go on……..have spent plenty of time in Dartmouth and go back to Hope Cove regularly. You’ll have a great great time.

Greenway House (Agatha Christie, NT) is worth a visit from Dartmouth; there’s a nice walk along the west side of the Dart to get to Dittisham, lunch in the ferryboat (or anchorstone cafe) and passenger ferry over to Greenway. You can then walk back to Kingswear down the East bank, another really nice walk, and get the ferry back over to Dartmouth. A great day out. Or you can a get a ferry one or both ways to cut back on the walking depending on what you’re after.
Cafe Alf Resco in Dartmouth is a must do, one of my favourites - crab platter or loads of other brilliant, fresh choices. Theres a Rockfish in Dartmouth too for dinner, or a couple of decent upmarket (posh, expensive) places too.
From Salcombe, fantastic walk round to Hope Cove round the coast. We normally stay in in Hope Cove (Karageen, great site) and do it the other way ie. Hope Cove to Salcombe and then get the bus back to Marlborough, then a wander through the lanes back to the campsite, but no reason you couldn’t start at Salcombe.
Personally not a fan of the Torquay side and Brixham, so don’t know it so well, but the steam train back down to Kingsear or over to Totnes is worth a ride, and Totnes is worth a visit.
I could go on……..have spent plenty of time in Dartmouth and go back to Hope Cove regularly. You’ll have a great great time.
Great suggestions and thumbs up for Alf Resco. Enjoyed a great lunch there with kids and grandkids.

Little disappointed.
I was expecting more Debbie does Dallas with a intro like that…

The walkers hut at East Soar is worth a visit if you're walking on the cliff path around Salcombe and Hope Cove, amazing home made cakes, coffee, tea, all in lovely open sided barn and with an honesty box for payment, really special.

River Cruise from Dartmouth to Totnes is good.
The River Shack at Stoke Gabriel is a great lunch spot (and maybe do some crabbing off the tidal barrier?)
Wildlife cruise from Brixham for some dolphin spotting. Rockfish restaurant in Brixham is a bit special.
Thanks @GrumpyGranddad my wife loves a boat trip - hope the weather holds up.

Thanks @Kernowboy some great suggestions appreciated

Thought I would show you guys packing wise what works for wife and I when touring .

In the boot side shelf we have toiletries for both plus dog bowl and food.

Top shelf in boot we have bedding(bottom sheet, topper and duvet) easy to reach when we stop at a site.

Underneath in rear I have one box and two baskets (box has hot plate, wok and cooking utensils tin foil ect) middle box has water bottle for refilling water, pegs mallet and awning tie down from the forum shop. Last basket has walking boots and dustpan and brush).

Inside the slide drawer has snack good, picnic blanket, tyre infator, battery pack, solar light and tinned food.

Cupboards have rest of food cheese biscuits wine and whiskey.

Finally in front we have obligatory flowers plus Nicole our Hawaiian dancing girl mascot - seat covers throughout as the dog when mud can ruin an interior in minutes.

F06823C8-C0AD-4EBF-93C7-1731B74F16A5.jpeg

74AC17D1-F00D-4545-8A38-7B3CB71B9FB3.jpeg

F12E49AC-7F72-4D58-9B8D-858EEF89E957.jpeg

Please visit Shoalstone Pool in Brixham for a swim. I’m the volunteer ops director there. It’s a lovely place to spend an afternoon.

Do a search for the Totnes Round Robin.
Its a boat/steam train/bus tour of the South Hams through Dartmouth & Salcome & back to Totnes.
Great CC&MH club site at Steamer quay Totnes too.

Our cab.
Does anyone else need to fully clean before a long trip?

A7D280AB-4215-41F6-AF1D-1815B3B79AA3.jpeg

9F21F12B-0EF0-49E1-8FA5-47822EAC043F.jpeg

Always interesting to see how others ‘pack’.
Cleaning….. that’ll be dog hair !

9DE938FC-2AD4-4140-BE30-937A59E3AD42.jpeg

Morning fellow campers
Been a while since I had decent Wi-Fi so I thought I would post a round up of our trip.

First 3 nights at Karrageen Hope Cove - brilliant site with lots of walks would absolutely recommend. We adore Salcombe, Burch island and Banham beach.
Second 3 nights sea view slapton - again very clean facilities- lovely view and good for Dartmouth (though roads are very narrow by the site)- we rally liked kingswear to Paignton steam train, ferry to Agatha Christie’s house, trips on the river Dart.
Final 4 nights - Cofton (family large site with loads of amenities pool,pub ect) loved Dawlish but wouldn’t choose this site again unless you had children- that said clean and surprisingly quiet so no complaints .
Thank you for all the fabulous recommendations most of which we managed to do :thumb

D45B0A3C-23F8-43B6-90E7-9D099F05AB5B.jpeg

82346DD4-AF75-4E0A-8A05-F9665FE6CA14.jpeg

9A7E0E16-122A-404B-8BB6-6F571019768E.jpeg

234DFB05-51CF-4E6D-8211-3AC092AFC4D3.jpeg