Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top bed is just slats over the thin grey board material??

Handsome-Sym

Handsome-Sym

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I’ve only just noticed, but the upstairs pop top bed in my 2019 T6 California appears to be just the mattress over those flexible wooden slats on top of the thin grey material. When my daughter was having a look upstairs, I could visibly see her knees bulging through the grey roof board from below. Is this normal? Seems too flimsy to sleep on.
Thanks for your time in advance.

I’ve only just noticed, but the upstairs pop top bed in my 2019 T6 California appears to be just the mattress over those flexible wooden slats on top of the thin grey material. When my daughter was having a look upstairs, I could visibly see her knees bulging through the grey roof board from below. Is this normal? Seems too flimsy to sleep on.
Yep. Changed some slats last year, basically just the roof lining underneath!

I am puzzled as to how you could see knees bulging through the roof lining? It is a common design of some beds to have a bed frame to which slats are attached and a mattress on top, albeit mattress is usually thicker, but still I cannot expect such large local distortion that you are surely describing. Are you exaggerating just a little bit :rolleyes:
I really wonder how it has coped with my 100 kg frame all these years without crashing down on my wee wife taking her make up off
:D

I am puzzled as to how you could see knees bulging through the roof lining? It is a common design of some beds to have a bed frame to which slats are attached and a mattress on top, albeit mattress is usually thicker, but still I cannot expect such large local distortion that you are surely describing. Are you exaggerating just a little bit :rolleyes:
I really wonder how it has coped with my 100 kg frame all these years without crashing down on my wee wife taking her make up off
:D
No exaggerating. It’s not extreme bulging, but I could certainly see where she’s moving about.

No exaggerating. It’s not extreme bulging, but I could certainly see where she’s moving about.
Where are you seeing the bulging? Unless she weighs half a tonne there is no way the slats are going to be bent down so far as to touch the top side of the roof lining, they would snap before they deflected that much.
You do realise that the headlining has a bulge in it by design?

Where are you seeing the bulging? Unless she weighs half a tonne there is no way the slats are going to be bent down so far as to touch the top side of the roof lining, they would snap before they deflected that much.
You do realise that the headlining has a bulge in it by design?
Hi. Yes I’m aware of the natural contouring of the roof. The slats definitely bend down a bit and touch the grey stuff. She’s not heavy either. Slim and 18.

Hi. Yes I’m aware of the natural contouring of the roof. The slats definitely bend down a bit and touch the grey stuff. She’s not heavy either. Slim and 18.

Sounds very strange.

Need to see a photo really - of the headlining / underside of the bed (…not your daughter!)

Possible her knees were between the slats I guess, but she would know about that

I’ve had my Ocean for years and noticed flex in the headliner when someone is up there. Nothing to worry about.

If I recall, aren't the slats (deliberately) slightly springy? To give a more comfortable sleep etc. They're not like the very rigid softwood slats on a domestic slatted bed. Agree, shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Back