Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop Top on a 680?

N

Norrlanningen

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Has anyone here mounted a Pop Top or similar on a 680? I love the space in the 680, and the kidz really wants to camp in a roof tent. :D
The 600 is not an option because of many reasons.

I cant see why it would be more difficult to mount a pop top on a 680 California then on any other random 680 Crafter?

Of course I will have to cut the roof and the inside trim a bit, but it doesnt bother me at all.

22D07554-5EE6-43B5-B375-3123FF644CE1-791x1024.jpg22D07554-5EE6-43B5-B375-3123FF644CE1-791x1024.jpg

I think the issue would mainly be around the fact that the GC680 has an extended hightop custom to the GC line, and as its only fibreglass, wouldn't have the strength to support. But I could be wrong.

The GC680 has a purpose made GFRP roof not a standard crafter metal roof.

Nothing is impossible; based on the info above, a frame would need to be supported from further down the vehicle. To make it look OEM (or at least, relatively concealed) would require some craftmanship by probably a M/H coachbuilder, but it wouldn't be impossible if the desire is strong enough. I would be more concerned about the increase in weight (towards the max gross of the vehicle) and moving the centre of gravity higher as with an already high roof, sticking the weight of a pop-roof plus any strengthening needed is going to make it quite "perched".

One of the reasons a 680 is off our future list is the lack of a pop top. We have a friend who mounted one on his crafter from a third party installer, no issues, but not sure if that would work in a factory 680. Ring the aftermarket installers and ask?

Or an Etrusco CV 600 DB+

Back