Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC 600 or 680?

Neilsimpleflying

Neilsimpleflying

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi, we've come to a decision that our cali Beach is just too small at our advanced age (!) and have been thinking about a Grand California. There are just the two of us so we only really need the one bed and the larger 680 bed and extra space appeal. We can both drive the longer vehicle on our licences and I am not a great fan of the fibreglass top on the 600. But, can you get a 600 as just a two berth?

The other issue which is concerning me is if we go for the 680, will it hold its value as well as a 600, given that they are likely to be more popular generally? anyone got any experience of the difference in used values between 680 and 600? any other help with the decision making would help. Thanks

Hi - we have just downsized from a larger Motorhome and had T25, T4 and a T6 conversions over the years. We feel that the 680 we recently purchased is about right for us, just the 2 of us, easier to drive around towns than our bigger Motorhome etc. To be honest, we didn’t really think about depreciation other than it’s a VW, so feel it will always sell if needs be, but the layout etc. took priority over what and how we sell it in the future. Best of luck in your decisions.

Yes you can get a 600 as a 2 berth, you get a huge storage cubby upstairs at the front instead of the optional bed. that makes up for not getting the 680s wardrobe, the shower & living area space is exactly the same.

My view is that longterm a 3.5tnne 600 will hold its value better than anything registered over 3.5tnne purely because your pool of buyers isn't restricted to those holding the over 3.5tnne license (C1)

Do you realise that at 70 you will need a medical every 3 years in order to keep the C1 entitlement on your license other wise you loose it.

The 600 is pretty easy to park we found that you could use supermarket spaces & just stick out a little bit.

If you are short enough to fit in the 600 bed across the van, your biggest issue will be getting in and out of bed & whoever is in the rear most position having to climb over the person nearest the front.

If you tour Europe a 600 is a lot cheaper on tolls (assuming you don't just chance it & pretend a 680 is under 3.5tnne)

In your position, I would be tempted to hire a GC600 for a day or two & try it out.

Maybe worth mentioning that there is currently a government consultation ongoing which is considering (among other options) allowing those who passed their test after 1997 to have the C1 entitlement added without having to take an additional test etc. We’ve sold 2 Motorhomes in recent years that required a C1 licence and always had plenty of interest and sold without issues. But I get the point being made, but not so sure it’s that big of a deal.

Hello,

Exciting times from making a decision to change the camper to a different model, and in your case to make the decision to get a VW GC 600 or 680.

To decide whether the GC 600 or GC 680 is better for you is difficult. I suggest to ensure that you have a good look at the two vehicles and, if possible, make a longer test drive.

We have the GC 600 for a while now and also will only be used by two people. What I like is the length of the GC 600 which is really a bonus either by driving winding roads (and we have enough of those in Ireland), manoeuvre on a campsite or find a place to park the camper.
Because neither my wife and I are very tall we have no problems to sleep in the GC 600, actually we sleep rather well. Have I said that, if my wife (sleeps close to door) needs to get up at night, I have also to get up.

What I miss on the GC 600 is the storage space. It is ok for cloth, but it is not ok for kitchen utensils and food.
I can imaging that the GC 680 beds could be even more comfortable, because they are wider and longer.

The weight of the camper is a different story. 3.5t is not a lot. I believe it doesn't matter if you get a GC 600 or a GC 680 if you fully spec it up and load it for a 3x weeks journey you easily will be over 3.5t. Before we left for our holidays I went to a weighbridge. The GC 600 was almost prepared for holiday. The weight was 3,350 kg. What was missing was me, my wife, the dog and food. Meaning we were to heavy. My wifes demand to bring the folding ebikes with us is a nightmare. :rolleyes:

I asked my VW dealer and VW Ireland if it was possible to change to 3.88t or 4.1t. 3.88t should be only a paper exercise. But the feedback I've got was very negative.

But thinking about it, I would like to stay with 3.5t limit. Not for the driving license, not for the resale value, but simply that the nicest roads in Ireland but mainly in France are forbidden for vehicles over 3.5t. This really affects the journey (well, at least for us).

What would I do looking back buying our camper? I would put more effort see the GC 680 (in 2021 when we bought our camper there was no GC 680 in Ireland at all). It appeals to me that there is more storage space near the kitchen area. Also the beds might be even more comfortable. What I would have to think about is the harder maneuverability of the GC 680 and, potentially, the weight.

Good luck with your journey and decisions.

Regards,
Eberhard

The contributions above cover just about everything but check access to bed in the 600. We are both above average height but need a stool or ladder to easily access the bed ........... and this then needs to be moved to access the loo, creating some issues in the middle of the night!

We have a 600, looked at a 680...we liked both- since we bought used it came down to price and availability. I too was not a fan of the fiberglass roof "bubble"- but it has grown on me over the last few months. We are just 2 in the van and the 600 we purchased did not have the upper bunk- so we have that amazing storage above the cab- which we LOVE and use all the time.

As far as the bed, my husband is taller than me, but I do tend to get up in the night to use the restroom- so the first night he slept by the back doors and wasn't that comfortable- the curve of the wall & built in wall pockets made it feel too small for him- I was perfectly comfortable. So the next night we switched and I slept by the back doors- it worked well for us both and he was much more comfortable.

The storage is the real difference- I did miss the extra drawers for the kitchen in the 680, but we added three tier storage right under the bed and next to the kitchen and that has really solved all our kitchen storage needs. As far as the wardrobe- I don't miss that as much as I thought I would- we use storage bags for our clothes and keep them in that great storage space above the cab.

If you are torn between the two I would suggest potentially renting both to truly experience them both- may make your decision right there.

600 and 680 are the same in regards to height, you really need a step for both unless your are an accomplished gymnast. easy enough to make a little step that allows door to open on 600.IMG_1038.jpeg

We have a 600, looked at a 680...we liked both- since we bought used it came down to price and availability. I too was not a fan of the fiberglass roof "bubble"- but it has grown on me over the last few months. We are just 2 in the van and the 600 we purchased did not have the upper bunk- so we have that amazing storage above the cab- which we LOVE and use all the time.

As far as the bed, my husband is taller than me, but I do tend to get up in the night to use the restroom- so the first night he slept by the back doors and wasn't that comfortable- the curve of the wall & built in wall pockets made it feel too small for him- I was perfectly comfortable. So the next night we switched and I slept by the back doors- it worked well for us both and he was much more comfortable.

The storage is the real difference- I did miss the extra drawers for the kitchen in the 680, but we added three tier storage right under the bed and next to the kitchen and that has really solved all our kitchen storage needs. As far as the wardrobe- I don't miss that as much as I thought I would- we use storage bags for our clothes and keep them in that great storage space above the cab.

If you are torn between the two I would suggest potentially renting both to truly experience them both- may make your decision right there.
I agree completely about trying both or at least having a real good look at both in person and think about your needs etc. This forum is great to get peoples own personal experiences, but there’s a reason why there is a vast choice of van sizes and layouts, so it always comes down to your own needs and preferences. Either way, best of luck in your decision and as always, some great advice on here.

For our "Summer 2023 Road trip" I added a cupboard under the bed.

1688997506535.jpeg

It helps to provide more storage space, for instance sugar, coffee, pasta. It is based on an Ikea cupboard which was not to heavy, but nevertheless it surely added to the overall weight.

In the VW cupboard over the sink I added a small shelf to create more storage room:

1688997931056.jpeg

Nothing is screwed in, just glued with double sided tape. I expected differently, but even on dirt roads in Finland and Latvia we had no problems. Additional weight is neglectable.

I never had a "design problem" with the roof - actually it grew on me

1688997737483.jpeg

There is a company in Germany that is in planning and testing phase of cupboards for under the bed and in the boot on the left side. I was told it might be available at some stage this autumn.

Regards,
Eberhard

For our "Summer 2023 Road trip" I added a cupboard under the bed.

View attachment 110934

It helps to provide more storage space, for instance sugar, coffee, pasta. It is based on an Ikea cupboard which was not to heavy, but nevertheless it surely added to the overall weight.

In the VW cupboard over the sink I added a small shelf to create more storage room:

View attachment 110936

Nothing is screwed in, just glued with double sided tape. I expected differently, but even on dirt roads in Finland and Latvia we had no problems. Additional weight is neglectable.

I never had a "design problem" with the roof - actually it grew on me

View attachment 110935

There is a company in Germany that is in planning and testing phase of cupboards for under the bed and in the boot on the left side. I was told it might be available at some stage this autumn.

Regards,
Eberhard
Just saw on Instagram the other day that Tuning-bus.de is launching both slide out 3 tier drawers and a slide out for the boot- not sure if this is who you were referencing. They both look great- not sure the cost or the weight, but will check out once available.

Also @Eber123 - never realized that we were GC Two-Tone Twins!!! =)

Hello @SlovakiaGrandCalifornia600,

Well, we aren't - yes we are. :)

When we got the GC 600 it was white, but we got it wrapped. The colour was chosen by my wife, because i am colour blind. :oops:

I was referring to a company in Germany called "Qualifornia". They already offer few items (which I ordered some) and working on furniture for the Grand California. Maybe you want to have a look at their web page:

Communication with them is excellent and their ideas about additional parts for the GC is brilliant. Now if they are brilliant remains to be seen, but I am very interested.

In my mind, the organisation of the booth might not be best with drawers in the VW cupboards. During our Summer 2023 trip (45x days) I've learned a lot of what suites us.

If I needed to get something out of the VW cupboards I always had to move items from the boot out of the way to open the door. Going forward for our next big trip, I actually will take out the doors from the cupboards and have only 2x euro boxe lengthwise along the gas cabinet. On the left side of the cupboard I only will have the level bag, cloth stand and buggy for the dog (don't ask). Those three items are quick to get out and I just have to take out from the cupboard what I need (cable for the EHU, BBQ ((important)), items to clean the toilette, cleaning material etc.)

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi, we've come to a decision that our cali Beach is just too small at our advanced age (!) and have been thinking about a Grand California. There are just the two of us so we only really need the one bed and the larger 680 bed and extra space appeal. We can both drive the longer vehicle on our licences and I am not a great fan of the fibreglass top on the 600. But, can you get a 600 as just a two berth?

The other issue which is concerning me is if we go for the 680, will it hold its value as well as a 600, given that they are likely to be more popular generally? anyone got any experience of the difference in used values between 680 and 600? any other help with the decision making would help. Thanks
Welcome Neil,
your choice will also depend upon usage and carrying load requirements. And of course being able to keep it on your drive.

I have owned a GC 600 just 2 bed and as others have said brilliant stowage above the cab, but not what I would call every day stowage.

I now have a GC 680 (26 months) and In comparison my observations are,
GC 600/680 very easy to drive.
The 600 easier to park in a car park, The 680 is as easy to manoeuvre as the 600
680 Cheaper than the 600 to tax as PHGV
680 more comfortable on the road as longer wheel base particularly over poor road surfaces.
680 more practical storage than the 600 as more cupboards and hanging storage, wardrobe.
680 longer high level locker cabinets. Although the 600s are deeper.
680 has more worktop space.
The 600 roofline didn’t put me off, other brands are now doing the same.

Both very capable but for me the 680 just has it.

The bed in both is high and you will require a foldable step.

I think it really depends upon your needs and how long you plan being in it. Last September toured Spain for 7 weeks and just returned after 5 weeks Turing Italy.

I‘m sure I’ll get shot for some of the above, it’s just my opinion on both.

As it’s been previously said hire both, costly I know but less than getting wrong.
keep us all updated.

Last edited:
Hello @SlovakiaGrandCalifornia600,

Well, we aren't - yes we are. :)

When we got the GC 600 it was white, but we got it wrapped. The colour was chosen by my wife, because i am colour blind. :oops:

I was referring to a company in Germany called "Qualifornia". They already offer few items (which I ordered some) and working on furniture for the Grand California. Maybe you want to have a look at their web page:

Communication with them is excellent and their ideas about additional parts for the GC is brilliant. Now if they are brilliant remains to be seen, but I am very interested.

In my mind, the organisation of the booth might not be best with drawers in the VW cupboards. During our Summer 2023 trip (45x days) I've learned a lot of what suites us.

If I needed to get something out of the VW cupboards I always had to move items from the boot out of the way to open the door. Going forward for our next big trip, I actually will take out the doors from the cupboards and have only 2x euro boxe lengthwise along the gas cabinet. On the left side of the cupboard I only will have the level bag, cloth stand and buggy for the dog (don't ask). Those three items are quick to get out and I just have to take out from the cupboard what I need (cable for the EHU, BBQ ((important)), items to clean the toilette, cleaning material etc.)

Regards,
Eberhard
Just looked on the qualifornia website and straight away loved what looks like a solution to block the auto light in the bathroom at night! Is anything like that available in the U.K., does anybody know?

I looked at a 600 and felt it was very cramped then looked at a 680 and immediately decided to buy the 680 which I did in 2021.
The biggest plus points for a 680 in my opinion are:
(1) the longitudinal bed (which is actually king size) and means you don't have to disturb your partner when going to the loo in the night.
(2) the extra preparation & worktop space in the kitchen area.
(3) the extra cupboard and storage space for food and kitchen utensils and the enclosed wardrobes.
I am not sure why you would think the 680 would not have as good a residual value as a 600. There are not as many on the used market so they may hold their value better. Time will tell ?

we looked at both options and decided on 680 mainly because of storage. There is a lot more as you get two extra under bed grey lockers, wardrobe and lower cupboard, plus larger kitchen unit. The 680 also has storage above driver like 600 without bed just not as big but very handy for blankets coats and bags etc.
My wife and i don’t struggle getting in the bed as the 680 has a cut out so think bit easier but if you do use stool it could stay in place without bathroom door hitting plus it’s still easier than climbing into roof bed on California :) The one negative on bed in 680 is split of mattress, think most owners will have put topper on.

Another point to note if you get solar which I highly recommend the 680 is a larger panel i was hitting 130w pull on sunny day last week and battery was back at 100% by mid morning.

In Cornwall at moment and have been done so tight roads but really don’t think the 800mm difference in length would make huge difference. But it does make it harder to park, as that same 800mm in a parking space will overhang.

If going into France read up on rules around vehicles over 3.5T as you need to consider

Best bet is go and test drive both 600 & 680 and choose one that suits your needs. They are both great campers and i am sure you will love whither you get .

one of factors which swayed us to the 680 was this is only model with 4x4 available which was something we wanted living in NE Scotland where we get quite snowy winters.
we rented a 600 and enjoyed it but reckoned more space and longitudinal bed would be better for us so ordered the 680

i am week 25 -28 july my 680 4m I am camping is place name Frodsham near to Liverpool.

If is not so far you driving, You welcome very much come see how is 680 4m - i am make nice tea and biscuit and is 680 fridge keep wine and beer. You can be make tea my 680 gas cooktop and is see convenience is offer!.

Thanks you so much for the very valuable advice. I must admit I had forgotten the 3yr medical requirement for the C1 licence and that is a serious consideration. However, the many comments about the different beds and storage certainly push me towards the 680. I had thought about the idea of hiring both to try them out but at 78 might have an insurance problem since most hirers restrict to 75.

Ho holidaymaker, thanks for your kind invitation, unfortunately we will be out of the country then!

Thanks you so much for the very valuable advice. I must admit I had forgotten the 3yr medical requirement for the C1 licence and that is a serious consideration. However, the many comments about the different beds and storage certainly push me towards the 680. I had thought about the idea of hiring both to try them out but at 78 might have an insurance problem since most hirers restrict to 75.
Do you still have your C1? If you didn’t renew when 70 and every 3 years after that then you will no longer have C1 entitlement and will need to pass the appropriate driving test to have it reissued.

GordonH, thanks, you are right! I had forgotten that when renewing my licence I did not tick the C1! So that settles at least part of the choice since no way am I going near a doctor for a driving licence medical at my age. that might open a real can of worms!

Just to say that if you’re looking in this direction, you could do worse than look at the Knaus BoxDrive 600XL or 680ME.

I’ve just bought a brand new 600XL 4x4 and in love with it.

Just to say that if you’re looking in this direction, you could do worse than look at the Knaus BoxDrive 600XL or 680ME.

I’ve just bought a brand new 600XL 4x4 and in love with it.
Doesn't really work though as a 3.5tnne vehicle though, 160KG payload according to the brochure.....

Hi Neilsimpleflying
Good solution ! Nice looking and very efficient
1688997931056.jpeg

What materiel did you use to build this small shelf? (Wood, plastic or something else ?)
Thanks

Back