Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop up in the wind?

G

gonezrfing

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Folks,
What windspeed can the pop up handle? I am planning a trip today but 30-40mph winds are forecast and we would normally put our 3 yr old to sleep up there!
Any experiences to share?

I wouldn’t put the roof up with that wind speed unless you can get somewhere sheltered.

I have had the roof up in high winds with clients in the roof, we had to collapse set the tent outside.
It’s not only possible damage to the roof it’s the rolling off the van on each gust of wind.

I would think 30 mph winds in the pop up would frighten a 3 year old 9 (or me:Nailbiting) The roof is expensive to repair so if worried better down.

One reason to get the roof down before it gets critical is that wind, especially gusts, flowing over the roof can generate suction on the leeward side, effectively pulling the canvas.
I’m cautious!

We’ve camped in some pretty strong winds. It can be quite scary but perfectly safe. We always said that if things became really difficult we’d sleep all four of us in the lower berth, but it never came to that.

Hi Folks,
What windspeed can the pop up handle? I am planning a trip today but 30-40mph winds are forecast and we would normally put our 3 yr old to sleep up there!
Had ours up with a topper on earlier this year in the Peak District in 40-50 mph and driving rain - rocked and rolled a bit but all fine and no damage done. I did back the pointy end into the wind however as a precaution.

Cheers

Taff T

Hi Folks,

There's a lot of info on here which was stated last Tuesday. VW don't give figures, presumably in case they are held liable. But a few have given their thoughts in this thread.

Simon

Worth checking your weather forecast for maximum gust speeds, although it should be fine upto 30 or even 40mph, I would be reluctant to let it go over.

Thanks for the advice everyone - we decided to stay home and host instead. I like the suggestion of just pointing the sharp end at the wind!

Not the most comfortable night’s sleep but with ‘pointy’ end aligned and topper on...’ twas all OK on Lleyn though no awning obvs EFB0E6E4-6D4C-4DFD-BEA5-F9D8F4E421E0.jpeg