Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windy weather & drive away awning

H

HB19

HB
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have a Vango Kela drive away awning, which I am Planning to use this weekend .. it’s an important accessory on this trip as I plan to have a social distancing gathering with relatives .. and I also want to take my own loo. I have been looking at the weather forecast today and it looks like the weekend will be pretty breezy, with 20mph winds gusting to 40mph. I understand the pop top is OK with this so long as I position it right, but what about the awning?? Has anyone got first hand experience of this awning in windy weather ? It seems pretty heavy With the air beam construction, but normally I would leave it at home and manage without if I thought the weather was not on my side.
Input would be gratefully received.

I have a Vango Kela drive away awning, which I am Planning to use this weekend .. it’s an important accessory on this trip as I plan to have a social distancing gathering with relatives .. and I also want to take my own loo. I have been looking at the weather forecast today and it looks like the weekend will be pretty breezy, with 20mph winds gusting to 40mph. I understand the pop top is OK with this so long as I position it right, but what about the awning?? Has anyone got first hand experience of this awning in windy weather ? It seems pretty heavy With the air beam construction, but normally I would leave it at home and manage without if I thought the weather was not on my side.
Input would be gratefully received.
I have an air Awning, I have use it in storm conditions, the important thing Is to pitch and peg it down correctly. Use good pegs, not the ones supplied with the unit, place the quality pegs at a 45 Deg angle and tension the guy rope correctly, pump the tent up to the correct PSI, keep an eye on the structure, it should move in the wind , but be secure , if you need to get up in the night to check on reset the rig that’s what you have to do. IMO an air beam set up is robust and will handle storm conditions.
Just don’t have your wind out awning on use .

Good luck, enjoy

Thank you .. that’s reassuring .. I might order some new pegs.

Something like this correctly fitted at 45 degrees should be fine, weather is part of the experience! Just don’t let the weather beat you,pitch securely , enjoy your time 3D6AA4FC-35A6-44B4-8FE4-E0A578698100.png

Top tip peg the toilet tent down with double pegs, 45 degrees ( opposites) it could get messy o_O

I have just ordered the extra pegs so will definitely be able to double up. Catch me if you see me flying past

Something like this correctly fitted at 45 degrees should be fine, weather is part of the experience! Just don’t let the weather beat you,pitch securely , enjoy your time View attachment 61975
When your plastic heads eventually crack and fall off, which they will, you can use metal penny washers or wing nuts to hook your guylines. Just slip them up the peg shafts.

If you have a drill and a hex adapter for the chuck you can use long coach screws and drill them in and out (slide on penny washers as the heads don’t have a very wide diameter). Because of the screw shaft they grip really well.

If you have any pain or discomfort in your hands, wrists, arms, shoulders or back drilling pegs in/out will avoid aggravating it. You can also just bang them in and remove them with a claw hammer.

Last edited:
Back