Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top and wind

50mph winds forecast. Would you keep the pop top down and sleep downstairs?

constant 50mph is my limit.

Probably not the roof's limit but certainly my sanity limit :shocked

I would rather sacrifice not being able to stand up for a night in exchange for being a jabbering wreck all the next day!

Last edited:
Thanks all. Good exercise for us in packing less to enable downstairs sleeping this time.
Facing the same dilemma on Thursday. I'm up in Snowdonia with glorious weather at present. On Thursday it changes to heavy rain and 50mph gusts.
Poptop down, awning down and batten down the hatches.

Sorry, it’s a van go manga awning, not the one on the van
On an awning (not the roll out one) use extra, storm, straps and double peg every line. Also peg down around the bottom , especially zip bottoms. When double pegging lines 2 pegs at opposite angles. If you know the direction the wind’s gonna blow put the awning the other side, turning the van round if you need to.

Last edited:
Three Cliffs Bay last night, many on here will be familiar with the exposure levels. Steady 45 mph with gusts well over 60 mph at several points through the night. Kept the roof down but Vango Galli attached. Galli performed admirably, not a comfortable night with regular checks and violent buffeting making for a sleepless night for me, although Mrs KB and the eldest reported a fine nights sleep in the Cali :Depressed. But it held up well with no issues. More than I can say for at least half a dozen tents which were totalled during the night, and there were only a few of us who stuck it out - apparently most had either legged it early or didn't turn up at all.
This was us at Caerfai Farm after storm Francis last August. Social distancing or something we said?

2AF4E594-8D84-4D45-90B5-B501F6D4F7D9.jpeg

Here’s a great weather app called Windy. Not only does wind, but all sorts of conditions and circumstances. I use the free version.

The arrows are animated so move on the screen in the wind direction.

It’s great fun in a storm to watch what’s happening around you.

Here’s around Snowdonia this evening:

BBC2684C-DDD0-4AF5-9650-475F79137B8E.png

Here’s just some of the info you can get, you can scroll down for loads more:
55940D11-FC51-40FB-94FD-BC1D32189916.png

I use Windy for paragliding weather forecasting, it’s a good rough forecast tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a great weather app called Windy. Not only does wind, but all sorts of conditions and circumstances. I use the free version.

The arrows are animated so move on the screen in the wind direction.

It’s great fun in a storm to watch what’s happening around you.

Here’s around Snowdonia this evening:

View attachment 78584

Here’s just some of the info you can get, you can scroll down for loads more:
View attachment 78585
Loaded the App but it asks me to subscribe following a 7 day trial. How do you get a free version?

Loaded the App but it asks me to subscribe following a 7 day trial. How do you get a free version?
Dunno, I just downloaded it. Can’t remember what I did as storm Francis was blowing a hooly when I downloaded it.

It’s free, just find the little x in the top corner of the pop-up. Change the day by using the slider across the bottom of the screen or press the arrow “play” button bottom left for it to run through and show the movements.

The three stacked bars opens a side slide out where you can she what is shows, wind, rain, temperature etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk