Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop-up roof D-rings mystery

Adam O

Adam O

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All, Just taken ownership of our 180 DSG 2014 T5 SE and absolutely love it. Have had a lot of information from this site already and now I imagine the specific questions will start to appear.

The first such one is regarding the internal roof d-rings mentioned in the owners manual - the ones to attach the child safety net to. There are no signs of them in our van, and we want to use the upstairs bed for our toddler to sleep so was going to purchase the safety net from the for sale section, but obviously nowhere to secure it to.

Firstly, has anyone any ideas why they might not be there? Possible roof replacement in the past!?

Secondly, has anyone had any experience fitting aftermarket rings? Obviously I'm quite hesitant about having to do that!

Regards,

Adam

I can't imagine why those rings have not been fitted.

The only place to go would be your local VW Commercial van dealer to get the right part. However, if there is no obvious hole in the roof lining, I don't know how you would fit them.

The net also poppers onto the bed base under the mattress at each side. Are these poppers fitted to the bed frame?

Alan

Hi Alan thanks for the reply. Mystery partially solved - the rings appear to have been removed. The silver 4 hex screws are there but I didn't twig that the rings are usually held on by these. The 2 poppers are also present either side of the frame.

So if anyone doesn't use their safety net and would sell me those 4 rings I'd be eternally grateful!

Otherwise it's a call to the VW van dealer I guess.

Thanks,
Adam

If you have trouble getting hold of them, you could try a picture framer and get some "D rings".

Good to read the mystery has been solved. I can't help you with the D rings as I wouldn't want to remove them form our Cali, but we do have a new safety net we have no use for that is for sale.

Hi Alan thanks for the reply. Mystery partially solved - the rings appear to have been removed. The silver 4 hex screws are there but I didn't twig that the rings are usually held on by these. The 2 poppers are also present either side of the frame.

So if anyone doesn't use their safety net and would sell me those 4 rings I'd be eternally grateful!

Otherwise it's a call to the VW van dealer I guess.

Thanks,
Adam
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../067/subcategory/67000/part_id/3707174/lang/e

Part 72

About 5.8 € each . A little different to the standard D ring.

I bought some spares for ours from be about £8 all in with screws etc. The guy in vw said be careful if you take off as the screw at the back isn’t secured and could mean the roof coming apart to get to the back of the screw.

Same situation with my van, no sign of them at all

I am actually the 2nd owner, but have the child safety net... a child.. yet no way of fixing the net. I will have to go down to the dealership and see what they say.

Back