Pop up roof - keeping the heat in

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
This might be useful in really cold weather if you don't need the upstairs bed for sleeping -

Last night we jammed about the first 12" of a blanket under the upstairs mattress by wrapping it around the slats, so that it hung down vertically into the cab. Then I attached a strap to the front slat in the centre leaving it hanging down underneath the blanket; and pushed the bed up to the elevated roof.

Next, I put a bungie across roof of the the cab attached to the grab handles above the doors, and tucked the blanket into this, then attached the strap to the bungie in the centre and pulled it tight so that it made an upside down "Y" which supported the blanket; and tucked the ends of the blanket into the cab sun visors. This made an air barrier between the living area and the cold roof and vents at the top.

The living area was immediately noticeable more comfortable, and the difference could be felt by sticking a hand into the void space behind the blanket.

This left the only single walled areas of the bellow the two triangular side bits which we just stuffed two smaller blankets into.

Branderup £500, blanket £0. Took about 2 minutes to do! We just used what we already had in the van, but with a bit of thought something more sophisticated could be devised ... a project for the coming season? :)

This might be useful in really cold weather if you don't need the upstairs bed for sleeping -

Last night we jammed about the first 12" of a blanket under the upstairs mattress by wrapping it around the slats, so that it hung down vertically into the cab. Then I attached a strap to the front slat in the centre leaving it hanging down underneath the blanket; and pushed the bed up to the elevated roof.

Next, I put a bungie across roof of the the cab attached to the grab handles above the doors, and tucked the blanket into this, then attached the strap to the bungie in the centre and pulled it tight so that it made an upside down "Y" which supported the blanket; and tucked the ends of the blanket into the cab sun visors. This made an air barrier between the living area and the cold roof and vents at the top.

The living area was immediately noticeable more comfortable, and the difference could be felt by sticking a hand into the void space behind the blanket.

This left the only single walled areas of the bellow the two triangular side bits which we just stuffed two smaller blankets into.

Branderup £500, blanket £0. Took about 2 minutes to do! We just used what we already had in the van, but with a bit of thought something more sophisticated could be devised ... a project for the coming season? :)
Just turn the heater on , it don't uses that much diesel.
By creating a cocoon downstaires you lose the vents in the top and risk of condensation and less ventilation , gas and CO2...
Or did you opend the windows downstaires....
In a small space like a Cali you need to have air circulation .

Nice idea Motacyclist! I bet given the improvised way you did it that there was still plenty of ventilation. We've found in the past that putting the heater on with the roof up in cold weather is pretty pointless as the heat blows straight out the vents at the top of the side panels.

You should get this copyrighted and in production.

At the moment Ive been using a Pucer thermal screen,wrapped with a comfortz topper.Its a faffle but noticeably warmer and quiter. To much hassle for one night but I'm situ three to four days at a times its worth doing.
Nick from comfortz is looking at an internal thermal screen,will keep my eyes open on this.
Ive also added thermal screens to the windows,its only the cheap silver insulated roof stuff,it seems to do the job ok.
I use the heater on number one,then turn it off for bed and set the timer to wake up me up nice and cosy in the morning.

I pull the roof down before I go to bed. Even with the hatch open providing ventilation there is still enough warm air trapped to make a big difference.

Unfortunately my other half doesn't like sleep with the roof down (it doesn't bother me); she is a bit claustrophobic.

It's also nice having the roof up in the evening, and the heating doesn't need to work as hard so uses less battery and less diesel.

I don't think there is an issue with ventilation as there is sufficient even without the roof up, and blankets are not airtight.

I am looking forward to seeing the new topper from Comfortz.

I like your idea colin. I hate waking up and having to move around the van doing a tolouse-lautrec impersonation just because the roof is down. I often carry a dog blanket, will try it next time.

We just lower the upstairs bed end slide the hatch shut.

We don't lower the roof just the bed,you can leave the sliding hatch open a little way if you're worried about ventilation.

Wake up, press remote on heater, wait 5 minutes, retract hatch push up bed, simples:bananadance

++++ 1
Ventilation definitely cuts down on condensation. The diesel heater, once upto temp takes very little electric power + diesel to maintain the temperature.
Also, you can lower the upstair bed, half way, use a pole/piece of wood or something to fit across the opening sides for the bed to rest on AND open the plastic slide hatch at the front to close the opening at the front. As it won't completely close off the gap you still have ventilation and depending where you place the pole/piece of wood you can have the bed high enough, but below the canvas roof vents. If that makes sense.:thumb:D

We got a roof topper Comfortz Leisure easy to put on and makes a lot of difference, way warmer. We ve just been to Aviemore -5 during the night the kids were fine in the roof.

We got a roof topper Comfortz Leisure easy to put on and makes a lot of difference, way warmer. We ve just been to Aviemore -5 during the night the kids were fine in the roof.
We have a (external) topper as well, but only used it twice. It did the job, but it was raining when I took it down which meant I got soaked and had a large area of wet fabric to store in the van and then dry out when we got home. It also means the van is immobilised if you need to nip out to the shops or anything.

There are only two of us, and we don't usually hang around for long either, so doesn't seem worth putting it up from that point of view.

In your case you would have been extremely uncomfortable without the topper at -5c & kids upstairs!

I'm waiting with bated breath for the Comfortz internal topper to be available:)

I´ve just ordered external and internal cover from Thais (http://www.thais-uk.com/premium-roof-cover/), they are very popular in Spain and are not quite expensive. As soon as I take deliver of them (and my brand new Cali) I´ll share some pictures and first impressions.

I'm sorry but the pictures of the roof cover look terrible

Buy cheap buy twice. I agree with Cali kev the cover looks loose and floppy i also had a small issue with my Cali topper the eylet was loose
Nick at Comfortz repaired it for me free of charge couldn't meet a nicer bloke. Wouldn't fancy my chances sending that back to Spain.

I'm sorry but the pictures of the roof cover look terrible
But the velcro things in the rails do look handy...
Something to improve on the Comfort one...?
The little things you have to slide in and screw can be a pain in the @ss....

But the velcro things in the rails do look handy...
Something to improve on the Comfort one...?
The little things you have to slide in and screw can be a pain in the @ss....

You are kidding right. The knobs on mine stay in the rail once they are in I don't touch them so I see no problem. I see a bigger issue with Velcro getting wet not working properly. Just my opinion I can't see why anybody would buy a product in Spain when we have the Cali topper in the uk that has to my knowledge had no bad reviews. With a years guarantee just to save a few quid. Each to their own.

I'm very happy with the topper from Comforts just wondering if velcro like on the one shown from thais could be a plus... Verlco when wet should not be a problem (everything in surf and snow comes with velcro)
Btw i got me xtra set of those screws and elastics that comes whit the topper, just in case i lose or break one...

But you get 8 screws and bungees with the Comfortz topper and if you have the fixed awning you can only use 6. Also as "jevon" says once you put the screw attachments on and positioned then they don't need to be moved again. As for a wet topper, I just fold it into the bag, in with the seat in the tailgate and hang it on the line to dry when I get home, no problem.

This velcro allows you choose wheter to use the with or without awning fastener.

You are kidding right. The knobs on mine stay in the rail once they are in I don't touch them so I see no problem. I see a bigger issue with Velcro getting wet not working properly. Just my opinion I can't see why anybody would buy a product in Spain when we have the Cali topper in the uk that has to my knowledge had no bad reviews. With a years guarantee just to save a few quid. Each to their own.
Because I'm Spaniard, got a lot of good reviews, got the by-law two years of warranty and got a very good help from the company owner?

Is not about few quids (If quids were the main point problably I wouldn't have a California), it's just one more choice.

Yesterday nigth, firt time I've used my top plus the windscreen cover in Scarborough (less than 5 grades and raining).

We slept upstairs, with no interior roof cover and had no problems, around 17 grades inside.

Both roof cover and windscreen cover are joined by a velcro.

It was easy to fit in few minutes by my own.

IMG_20150502_200130876.jpg

IMG_20150502_200119230.jpg

Back