Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating upstairs for small children

TimR

TimR

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
With winter approaching I was looking for extra ideas for getting more heat upstairs for our young child. We sometimes camp in the Scottish Highlands away from campsites/hook ups and it can get into sub zero temps.
I have an Isotop installed upstairs. I have the Isolite extreme cab blinds plus a isolite outdoor so the cab area is well insulated.
I also own a Cali topper and in theory this could go over the roof to give 3 layers for upstairs. Any advice if this will make much of a difference?
I have seen the Caliheat duct to direct heat from the b-pillar vent upstairs. Maybe an idea?
Anything else folk have used/designed?

I’ve used the same as you (topper, liner and isolite extreme) and the dogs were cooking downstairs... so would advise some way of making the heat flow upwards. Or if on hook up, use an electric blanket upstairs (that’s what I ended up doing in cold months)

I’ve used the same as you (topper, liner and isolite extreme) and the dogs were cooking downstairs... so would advise some way of making the heat flow upwards. Or if on hook up, use an electric blanket upstairs (that’s what I ended up doing in cold months)
How was the temp upstairs with the topper, liner and extremes? Did you have the heater on? I think the Caliheat (or DIY alternative) can funnel the air up. Good shout about the elec blanket. Not often we are on hook up but occasionally might be.

Decent sleeping bag should be sufficient. Can recommend the North face ones, we have had one of their double one for years and its super toasty!

Decent sleeping bag should be sufficient. Can recommend the North face ones, we have had one of their double one for years and its super toasty!
cheers, we have a mini sleeping bag for her which she often needs putting back into during the night ha.

How was the temp upstairs with the topper, liner and extremes? Did you have the heater on? I think the Caliheat (or DIY alternative) can funnel the air up. Good shout about the elec blanket. Not often we are on hook up but occasionally might be.
Once I had the three layers I didn’t need the heater much (winter) and also feel it kept it cooler in the summer.

Tumble dryer concertina hose and a homebrew way to attach it to the vent in the B pillar. Worked for us when we skiied at Glenshee (a lot). And a onesie, hat and hottie.

cheers, we have a mini sleeping bag for her which she often needs putting back into during the night ha.
How about an old fashioned onesie over her pjs and a woolly hat, if she comes out of sleeping bag she should still be toastie.

The B pillar has 2 outlets, one on the corner and another flat one, the common way
to hook up a pipe always seems to be using the corner one.

Anyway, i always dream about tapping into the flat one and using some Truma heating pipe
35mm and running it up inside the B pillar if there was any room and then drilling a hole
up top for an outlet.

images-116.jpeg
Its a pipe dream at the moment.

My boy sleeps in thermals, PJ's and sometimes also a onsie (no hood). He is in a kids sleeping bag. He had never had problem sleeping due to cold even when I check on him and it seems freezing up there. I think they are hardened creatures.

We have isotop no external cover.
We have the heating on but nothing to change air flow direction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk