Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portugal's West Coast

John

John

VIP Member
Original post Blakey

Anyone got any experience of travelling through Portugal? Specifically, what are the campsites like (especially on the west coast)? Do they generally have good facilities?

Any hints, tips or advice?

Cheers!
Blakey

Original post BerndRos

I spent about 6 weeks there earlier in the year, lovely place. West coast mostly not been developed at all. Lots of places to wild camp, often on the sand at beach.

If wild, showers can be had at Marinas or Leisure Centres...... oh and it's accepted practice to use free Internet in schools.

Suggest you get an ' insight Guide ' off Amazon, road map, ACSI book or look at their site on Internet and see how you get on......great place, and don't listen to any nonsense about their road toll system as its fine, in any event I guess you will choose to meander here and there on minor roads.

Original post Blakey

Cheers for the reply. West coast is our aim - trying to get a few waves if we can. I'm trying to find out if there will be the ability to hire surfboards in November - if so that would save us having to take my board inside the van and save on hassle and space.

West coast is very beautiful and wild. Be prepared for big waves and some strong currents. It may be worth hooking up with one of the many surf schools to hire a board as they have a lot of local knowledge.

Best RGS John

Oct 15, 2011, 7:27pm, John wrote: West coast is very beautiful and wild. Be prepared for big waves and some strong currents. It may be worth hooking up with one of the many surf schools to hire a board as they have a lot of local knowledge.

Best RGS John

Good idea - are they still functioning in November?

Sorry can’t say as the latest we have ever been out to Praia Da Luz in the Algarve was October plenty of Surfing still going on though.

Original post timbatten

Portugal is our favorite place, and we go there a lot - not always in the Cali, but we have toured through on several occasions. There are loads of places you should visit! If you are driving down the west coast, you must spend some time on Oporto - a beautiful city. Heading south, try Nazare, Caldas da Rainha, and the ancient walled town of Obidos is an essential visit. The coast between Sintra and Estoril is beautiful. Not much on offer between Lisbon and Sines, although Setubal is quite nice. Just below Vila Nova de Milfontes is a great place called Praia da Zambujeira. South from here gets more wild. There are beaches along much of the west coast and there are plenty of surf schools, but one of the best is south of Aljezur, near Carrapeteira, and is called Amado. By now, you are only 15 minutes drive from Cape St Vincent and Sagres - also worth a visit. From there east, your on the Algarve - beautiful, some amazing beaches, but gets busy as you go further east. As Bernd said, there are lots of opportunities for wild camping in Portugal, and there are lots of campsites of variable quality. Plan your trip on Google earth, and you can often see where the best camping spots are. If you have the opportunity, head back up the interior of Portugal and through Spain for more delightful Cali country! Have a great time - we'll be there in November, but not in the camper.

g_E0xGSTEgDZZatGkwE4.jpg

Original post BerndRos

Forgot to say......907 Gas refill only 10 euros in Portugal rather than £20 in UK. Highest price I have paid is 30 euros in Germany........

Original post Blakey

Great advice Tim, thanks.

We toured Italy last year in our custom camper which we've just sold to finance the Cali. Great fun.

John said:
Oct 15, 2011, 7:27pm, John wrote: West coast is very beautiful and wild. Be prepared for big waves and some strong currents. It may be worth hooking up with one of the many surf schools to hire a board as they have a lot of local knowledge.

Best RGS John

Good idea - are they still functioning in November?

Hi there,

I know very well Portugal, I go there each year (sometimes twice a year) for surfing. The best place is Peniche.
But there is lot of people there. You can try Algarve too but only near Sagres, best place to be and best place to surf in the south !!

Enjoy !

I'm planning to drive the west coast north to south for 4 weeks in May after ferrying from Portsmouth to Bilbao.
John's West Coast post looks very helpful, indeed.
I wasn't planning to book in anywhere (I think we'll do sites rather than wild most of the time) because I'd reckon sites won't be anywhere near full in May? Is this a safe assumption anyone, John even.

Any help would be welcome on named sites that have been particularly liked.
I think our activities will be mixed: beaches, forest walks, ancient portugal, interesting country food, port (y'know the thing).
TIA