Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sites in Ireland

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm looking for coastal sites on the northern half of the west coast of Ireland.
Any recommendations would be helpful

Good coastal or beach walks would be good.
A flattish countryside (I know this is a contradiction in terms for the west coast) for cycling would be good.
Not too bothered about site facilities but help with good quality restaurants would be welcome.

Planning to take in a rather crucial Connacht v Glasgow Warriors Guinness Pro12 rugby match in Galway while we're there (staying in a Galway hotel for the game weekend and luxurious showers).

A couple of years ago we spent some time around Kerry and Dingle and have been to a number of arts-based events in Cork at other times and quite like the south west coast but have been assured the north bit of the west coast is more dramatic - so going to the game is a bit of an opportunity.

As an afterthought, are there any Britstops up there? I don't need them being disclosed on here 'cos I'll join if there are any - but I'd like to know if there are any of note first.

Thanks

Hi Barry

Connemara (The area Galteacht/Irish speaking area) west of Galway is worth exploring and lots of flat cycling. Clifden is the main town and it's got a couple of campsites. This area is beautiful, very wild and exposed. Roundstone is a very pretty village, great beaches all along the coast.

When you're in Galway, try out the fish and chips at McDonaghs at the bottom of Quay Street (the main tourist drag). Also a pint in Tigh Neachtain on Quay St, the black stuff of course. It gets very crowded so pick your time.

The Greenway is a dedicated cycling route in north Mayo (42Km), http://www.greenway.ie, the leg between Achill Island between Mulrany is gorgeous. Achill is worth a stopover. We stayed at a kitesurfing hotel and the food was great, basic accommodation but breakfast was lovely, puremagic.ie

Westport has plenty of eateries and decent pubs. County Mayo is often overlooked on the tourist trail but its just as beautiful.

The Burren in Co.Clare is a must to, there is boat from Doolin to Inisheer (Aran Islands, Fr. Ted) which is about 30 mins trip , well worth it. Island is small and feasible to while away a few hours there on a day trip or spend the night in a B&B. We camped at a site there, it was fine, left the van in the carapark before spending the day on Inisheer.

There are plenty of pubs in Doolin which have traditional music sessions, serve food too thats pretty decent. Cliffs of Moher are nearby too.

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/parks/clare/63-nagles-seaside-camping-a-caravan-park.html

I'm slightly biased as I'm originally from Galway.

Have a great time and pack your waterproofs!

These are two excellent pointers: thanks a lot.
I'm really glad I posted.