Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Possible roof channel paintwork damage

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello. For some reason, over the past four years of owning my Cali, I’ve had to replace the small length of anti-corrosion tape on just the driver’s side of the roof channel where the pop up roof section rests. On replacing it yesterday, I noticed a white line of what I think is white primer under that runs for part of the way along the front corner of the channel. Last time I replaced it, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there (i.e. the blue top coat was still there). The front rubber edging seems soft still so I can’t think why this happened. I’m now concerned that whatever is causing it may eventually take the primer layer off, with consequent rust risk. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the cause and the possible remedy?

IMG_7470.jpeg

IMG_7468.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg

It wont rust as its aluminium.
That is very poor paint quality though.

Thanks for your observations. However, I'm still curious how it has happened and whether it will increase. Any ideas welcome

Thanks for your observations. However, I'm still curious how it has happened and whether it will increase. Any ideas welcome
I would guess it is the repeated touching of the rubber. It is quite a snug fit for good reason. When you’re driving with the roof down, there will be some flexing of the body and the rubber will rub against it. I suspect most vans get it worn a bit.

You could get a touch up pen on it if you were worried. I don’t think you need to worry too much. Some fixes cause more problems so if it were me I would leave it. It won’t rust.

Thanks for your reassurance, Lambeth Cali.I have a touch up pen when I could use on it.

The roof panel moves with the body shell flexing, the rubber seal invariably will rub the paint.

Thanks, Perfectos. I understand now. It sounds like this is something that others have experienced. Anyone out there for whom that's the case?

Thanks, Perfectos. I understand now. It sounds like this is something that others have experienced. Anyone out there for whom that's the case?
My 10 Yr old California has it. I think every California will get it in time.

Thanks, Welsh Gas. That's reassuring to know

If the abrasion is against the aluminium of the front cowling it won't rust it will corroded much more rapidly. Welcome to the world of California roof issues

Thanks, aclowes. I had thought they'd addressed the roof corrosion problems by my late T6 (2019). I've read elsewhere on this forum that the alloy mix was supposed to have been changed https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion.42358/) . I think the moulded helicopter tape on the left and right roofline ridges was another addition. I'm not sure what to do now. I have an All-In plan but not sure if that will cover it. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, aclowes. I had thought they'd addressed the roof corrosion problems by my late T6 (2019). I've read elsewhere on this forum that the alloy mix was supposed to have been changed https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion.42358/) . I think the moulded helicopter tape on the left and right roofline ridges was another addition. I'm not sure what to do now. I have an All-In plan but not sure if that will cover it. Any suggestions welcome.
The front panel alloy mix was changed for MY 2015, so from mid 2014.
It will not be affected by Corrosion , fast or slow.
The original problem was Galvanic Corrosion due to the proximity of dissimilar metals in this case steel body structure and high aluminium content alloy. It was cosmetic not structural.

Thanks, WelshGas. I'm reassured that this isn't corrosion. I'll give some thought to touching up that part of the paintwork but glad it doesn't need more serious work.

Thanks, WelshGas. I'm reassured that this isn't corrosion. I'll give some thought to touching up that part of the paintwork but glad it doesn't need more serious work.
Your options are:
1) Leave it

2) Touch up pen / brush temp fix until it rubs away again (or get it blown in along the edge only )

3) Add a layer of Clear helicopter tape or Black / Coloured Vinyl wrap etc

4) Combine 2&3

Approaching VW is a waste of time IMO

Last edited:
Back