Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wiper damage to paintwork - who pays?

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
On our epic dash to Austria at the weekend we discovered that the drivers side wiper is incorrectly fitted. As a result it was overlapping the door pillar on every sweep and has damaged the paintwork.

I've had the van 2 months but this was the first time we had driven in the rain so I hadn't spotted this earlier. I had no option but to use the wipers knowing they were causing damage as we drove through the torrential rain and floods in Germany and France. I attempted to apply some tape to protect the paintwork but it wouldn't stick.

What are my chances of getting the damage to the paintwork repaired under warranty? I'm certainly going to ask.

image.jpeg

I don't see what I could have done to mitigate the damage short of sitting out the rain for 48 hours! I didn't have the correct tools to attempt to refit the wiper myself - and why should I in a monsoon.

Are the wipers fitted in the factory or at the dealer on delivery?

I believe they are factory fit, I would be at the dealers looking for a warranty claim. I thought that anything from the accessories brochure is dealer fitted.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
I believe they are factory fit, I would be at the dealers looking for a warranty claim. I thought that anything from the accessories brochure is dealer fitted.
Not sure why unthought the wipers might be fitted at the dealer. I have some vague memory of being told that wipers are prone to damage during delivery so are not fitted in the factory. Either way - it wasn't me that got it wrong.

PS. I bought a Brand new Volvo once that had the steering wheel incorrectly fitted - I was lucky it didn't fall off. So I guess I got off lightly - just a wiper this time :mad:

The wipers will often sweep further when driving in heavy rain. However they shouldn't go over the body but stay on the windscreen, particularly on a new van.

A warranty claim I think.

Alan

Yep warranty for me. Should have been picked up at quality control.

Mike

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
The wipers will often sweep further when driving in heavy rain. However they shouldn't go over the body but stay on the windscreen, particularly on a new van.

A warranty claim I think.

Alan
Thanks Alan. It's nothing to do with heavy rain. The wiper sweeps over the pillar even when it's dry. I'll be ringing the dealer in the morning.

Yep warranty for me. Should have been picked up at quality control.

Mike

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM VW

"As part of the cost cutting to pay for the lying cheating devices until further notice the quality control and new vehicle planning departments have been closed"

Yes - they are factory fitted. But I wasn't making it up. Dealer confirmed that the wipers used to be provided for the dealer to fit.

Back