Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC Park Assist/Rear Traffic Alert availability date.

Simon1

Simon1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
From what I have found out Park assist and Rear traffic alert have been removed due to the incompatibility with the upgraded sat nav system fitted on the 2021 model GC680. After being very persistent! they reluctantly told me "this may be available at week 48 (week commencing 23rd November)".
So anyone thinking of ordering soon have a dilemma if they want this option.
Rear traffic alert warns you when reversing out of a space of any obstacles like an approaching car and if you don't react it stops the van automatically to avoid a collision. Quite useful as parking sensors alone wouldn't be enough to detect moving vehicles at distance and calculate a pending collision. This tech must be the same as the front emergency city braking hence why it's an extra option at cost.
I personally can't wait to put my order in but this has made me think if I should wait until November. But this risks not being eligible for the 4 year free servicing ect deal which states the van must be picked up by 31st March. Plus he said it 'May' Be available. Also will there be any other beneficial upgrades between now and November. And lastly should I wait till 1st March to register the vehicle as it would be very close to that date anyway.
Am I being to cautious or should I just get on and order it now? I'm so undecided I'm going to go with the majority opinion, even if that's just one reply

I have it as an option, thankfully in the 4 weeks of ownership it’s never activated. Life is to short to wonder what would be if I waited.

Go for it now and enjoy sooner. You never know what’s around the corner!

Another lockdown and further delays.

Anyway good luck

I have it as an option, thankfully in the 4 weeks of ownership it’s never activated. Life is to short to wonder what would be if I waited.

Go for it now and enjoy sooner. You never know what’s around the corner!

Another lockdown and further delays.

Anyway good luck
Thanks Breeze,
That's a good point about any potential lockdowns/unforeseen circumstances, hadn't considered that!
Pretty sure I'm going to go for it now, just can't wait anymore! Like you say life is to short.

Just out of interest did VW keep you regularly up to date on delivery times and any delays or were you just given a rough date with no updates?

Thanks Breeze,
That's a good point about any potential lockdowns/unforeseen circumstances, hadn't considered that!
Pretty sure I'm going to go for it now, just can't wait anymore! Like you say life is to short.

Just out of interest did VW keep you regularly up to date on delivery times and any delays or were you just given a rough date with no updates?
Breeze Poole were very good with updates and information.

GC600 born 10 2019 -
Park assist & Rear Traffic Alert works just great.
Parallel parking is very handy when going to town!! Great show and ‘mouths open’ in the cars behind who is waiting for ME to park!!
Still have to try the trailer assist system.

GC600 born 10 2019 -
Park assist & Rear Traffic Alert works just great.
Parallel parking is very handy when going to town!! Great show and ‘mouths open’ in the cars behind who is waiting for ME to park!!
Still have to try the trailer assist system.
Just waiting for the time to use the Park assist & Rear Traffic Alert, well maybe not the Traffic Alert hopefully.

Understand the benefits of the rear park assist but for me the rear view camera trumps this. The view on the screen is brilliant and I’m so pleased I got this.

Your right the Rear view camera is excellent, ie due to hight, its view is wide ranging and covers a lot of ground. The guidelines really work well.

Back