Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Post-COVID UK Tour Bucket List

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Kate
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I’m sure we all can’t wait for the day we can get out and about in our vans safely again. I had so many plans for our first year and only managed one of them.

So, lovely people, what’s your favourite UK tour to recommend for our bucket lists?

The UK may be a small island but we do have some fantastic places to visit. We only use our van as a campervan and then only between late Sept and the end of May, avoiding high summer is a must. We have enjoyed wonderful trips to:
Pembrokeshire, Anglesey, Gower peninsula, mid Wales and around Barmouth. Not forgetting Hell's Mouth and Rossili.
Then Spur Head, the castles coast up to Berwick. A tour round the Cornish coast, north Devon, the Severn Estuary from Severn Beach upto beyond Worcester. The Peak District, the lakes and the Shropshire hills not forgetting E Anglia and around Snettisham. In Scotland the NC 500, the colder the better and what stars, and the outer Scottish Islands! A late winter trip round the Atlantic way on Ireland. We have never been to mainland Europe. Many will say "you don't know what your missing". Maybe they are right. We have no great desire to visit Europe. The exception would be Norway, right up to the Russian boarder, may be 2021 or 22 - a late Summer or mid Autumn trip. The Northern lights a must, but these can be seen from Scotland and N England. We have had our van for 3 years, done nearly 30,000 miles with all of it in the UK and Ireland. Still masses to see.

The UK may be a small island but we do have some fantastic places to visit.
As someone who has had to accept that long trips through Europe are no longer possible, I bought my Cali specifically for use touring Britain. Your comments reassure me that I am on the right track for future holidays.

The UK is a most magical island.

I used to write tour guides, well historic tour guides but still tours to lots of places :)

What we have packed in these islands is truly remarkable. I have yet to visit anywhere where the scenery, flora, fauna can change so dramatically in a few short miles and continue changing.

My soul is at Sennen cove, my heart is in the Lake District, the Lleyn peninsular still amazes me with it's magic and Wester Ross still awes me with it's grandeur.

I have walked the length of the Mainland UK three times, backpacked the 630 miles of the SW Coast path (Rated one of the top ten trails in the world), am planning to cycle across England and Wales, covid permitting, in 2021, and driven every ingle inch of vehicle-accessible coastline of the UK mainland and every time I travel I still find parts that leave me amazed with their beauty and tranquility.,

Snap.

Also Sennen Cove. Rental cottage in the Valley with the funny name. Out of season though. Lakes are great and I would retire their tomorrow if I could

I used to write tour guides, well historic tour guides but still tours to lots of places :)

What we have packed in these islands is truly remarkable. I have yet to visit anywhere where the scenery, flora, fauna can change so dramatically in a few short miles and continue changing.

My soul is at Sennen cove, my heart is in the Lake District, the Lleyn peninsular still amazes me with it's magic and Wester Ross still awes me with it's grandeur.

I have walked the length of the Mainland UK three times, backpacked the 630 miles of the SW Coast path (Rated one of the top ten trails in the world), am planning to cycle across England and Wales, covid permitting, in 2021, and driven every ingle inch of vehicle-accessible coastline of the UK mainland and every time I travel I still find parts that leave me amazed with their beauty and tranquility.,
Thanks Jen, saved in my Google maps U.K. Holiday places list. One day I’ll start joining the dots in the Cali...

Our favourite cycle was the Way of the Roses Morecambe to Bridlington. But we altered it to Morecambe to Scarborough, up to Whitby and back to Morecambe. Hadrian's Wall cycle way is also a good one, then back via Kilda Water.

We managed a few days on the Isle of Wight this summer; it was glorious! The Cali was a dream. I don’t think we wiped the smiles off our faces for a week afterwards!

Our favourite cycle was the Way of the Roses Morecambe to Bridlington. But we altered it to Morecambe to Scarborough, up to Whitby and back to Morecambe. Hadrian's Wall cycle way is also a good one, then back via Kilda Water.

Thanks a bundle :D

Since getting our bikes we have already managed to assemble a lot of riding holidays that's going to take us the best part of 10 years!! Now you lot are adding another ten years to the list!!

We managed a few days on the Isle of Wight this summer; it was glorious! The Cali was a dream. I don’t think we wiped the smiles off our faces for a week afterwards!
Forgot to mention the Isle of Wight, Dungerness and the Battle of Britian Memorial. All great places.

I like Northumberland. Had to change my week this year (only one weeks holiday this year) from there to the Lakes as you guys went to Tier 3. I normally stay at the cottage by Vindolanda. Great for dog walking / cycling and chilling out. And running when I'm running again.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the Isle of Wight, Dungerness and the Battle of Britian Memorial. All great places.

When my children were little I took them for a few days to St Margarets bay. Needless to say the RH &D heritage railway was a must do and I was telling them about a place called Dungeness and it has a pebbly beach and they have to try and count the pebbles ....

They then saw Dungeness .... gazing over a sea of pebbles stretching for as far as their little eyes could see .....

Then the penny dropped .... "your joking with us ...." :D

Haven't been yet but we are looking at the Islands of Orkney for next year.
We spent 3 weeks on Orkney in 2017 had a fab time, it was very quiet we practically had the place to ourselves :)

A tour of some my fav whisky distilleries in Scotland.

An often bypassed place in Northumberland is newbiggin on sea and the visitor centre there is a gem.

It charts the history of the oldest lifeboat station in the country, established in 1851. However within that history is another gem, the women of Newbiggin.

The hardships and backbreaking hard work that they put in would bring tears to the eyes of anyone reading it. They helped Beach the herring boats, worked to gut the catch, carried the baskets of herring for sale, helped launch the lifeboat wading chest deep, repaired the sails ..... and also produced babies, cared for the families, baked the bread and fed the menfolk.

with all that they still lived for the time to a ripe old age. They had one of the highest natural longevities of life in the country and became the subject of a study. It's all in the herring, the omega 3's and 6's, low cholesterol, strong bones and healthy brains.

A fascinating place.

I should also say the rock cakes are to die for, as good as that bastion of rock cakes, a national trust tea shop.

When my children were little I took them for a few days to St Margarets bay. Needless to say the RH &D heritage railway was a must do and I was telling them about a place called Dungeness and it has a pebbly beach and they have to try and count the pebbles ....

They then saw Dungeness .... gazing over a sea of pebbles stretching for as far as their little eyes could see .....

Then the penny dropped .... "your joking with us ...." :D
It was on our list for this summer but it will wait