Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prices Gonna Crash

@gatvol has a point.
Even the weather has an effect on our domestic spending. The high street, fashion and leisure spending are all down as the rain keeps shoppers away.
Last minute bookings to foreign destinations having a massive surge…
Sold a Mini last week to a guy who owns a hair salon. His X4 lease is coming to an end and wanted a cheap runaround instead, bookings are well down with customers.

Oof. We on about this again. Who gives a f*ck if prices even were to crash. Enjoy your life, life is finite and you never know when your time is up. If you’re buying a Cali purely based on residuals then you are doing it wrong. Buy a house, invest in stocks and bonds… We were supposedly anticipating a crash after Covid… did not happen. ;)

Exactly right. My SIL at age 53 has stage 3 cancer.
Live each day, and love those around you.
Have what you can afford.
Get out, walk, see sights and nature.
The California is an extension of the family now, and will hopefully take grandkids on adventures far and wide in the UK and france, and maybe further once they get older.

It also happens to be a great day vehicle, I can’t think of anything else I’m going to need for the next 20 years.
Crash, increase, don’t care.
I do really feel for the young people who are at the start of the journey. It’s tough, but it always is at the start.

VW campers have always been based on their current panel van though. Is this the first time a VW has been based on a people carrier? By definition as an MPV it won’t have the payload or capacity of a panel van, so I have to wonder where the compromises will be. A plastic tailgate sounds like one of them to keep the weight down. I hope it doesn’t start to feel like a cheap plasticky product generally. Like it or not the T6.1 has a feel of real quality and sturdiness with the ability to carry the weight of all the “correct” camping equipment.
Is this an optical illusion or is the Buzz really that much bigger than a splitty?

IMG_4655.png

Here In Denmark rumour has it that VW can get more for the Cali in Germany than they can in DK so they are stopping the export to us. Hence Danish prices have rocketed. We have the most expensive vehicles in the world after tax. If I told you the price of a California in Denmark you would go into shock.
I think that is to be true. Ours was destined to be sold in Denmark, imported back to Germany (maybe just on paper it was, not sure) and sold to the German owner from which I bought the Cali. All stickers are in Danish but was sold by takeyourcar.de.

Oof. We on about this again. Who gives a f*ck if prices even were to crash. Enjoy your life, life is finite and you never know when your time is up. If you’re buying a Cali purely based on residuals then you are doing it wrong. Buy a house, invest in stocks and bonds… We were supposedly anticipating a crash after Covid… did not happen. ;)
This, oh dear.

Exactly right. My SIL at age 53 has stage 3 cancer.
Live each day, and love those around you.
Have what you can afford.
Get out, walk, see sights and nature.
The California is an extension of the family now, and will hopefully take grandkids on adventures far and wide in the UK and france, and maybe further once they get older.

It also happens to be a great day vehicle, I can’t think of anything else I’m going to need for the next 20 years.
Crash, increase, don’t care.
I do really feel for the young people who are at the start of the journey. It’s tough, but it always is at the start.
What's a SIL?

Ours was bought new as a long term proposition. We have other vehicles so it is only used for picnics, camping, touring and outings with the grandkids. The rest of the time it sits idle on our driveway. In the last fifty one months it has only covered 12500 miles and due to a recent full knee replacement it hasn't turned a wheel in the last three months.

Do I worry about it's current worth? No, I couldn't 'care less. I have no intentions of getting rid of it so why would that matter. It's a brilliant vehicle that's a keeper.

Last edited:
In the last fifty one months it has only covered 12500 miles and due to a full knee replacement
Was that under extended warranty!

get back at it, you have another !

If only. T'other one needs doing now! Tracking's been done as well.
Come on it’s only been used a bit !
You’d have thought the factory warranty would cover it !
You’ve only been up & down a few ladders !

I blame football !

Ours was bought new as a long term proposition. We have other vehicles so it is only used for picnics, camping, touring and outings with the grandkids. The rest of the time it sits idle on our driveway. In the last fifty one months it has only covered 12500 miles and due to a recent full knee replacement it hasn't turned a wheel in the last three months.

Do I worry about it's current worth? No, I couldn't 'care less. I have no intentions of getting rid of it so why would that matter. It's a brilliant vehicle that's a keeper.
Its a bit like house prices. If you have no intention of moving and it is only worth £5, it doesn't really matter.

Its a bit like house prices. If you have no intention of moving and it is only worth £5, it doesn't really matter.
Besides, why does one buy a Cali in the first place? If it was mainly as a financial flutter then that horse was never guaranteed to win. If you merely wanted a pony to ride out and enjoy, then bingo, you've won hands down.

Last edited:
I have never bought any vehicle in the past based on retaining value but a slower depreciation has always been a factor, and some vehicles depreciate slower than others.

I’d argue a California depreciates slower than most. I saw two year old ones for up to £65k back in October when I started looking. I ended up with a dealer demonstrator 6 months old, 700 miles for £71k with a “new” inc extras price of nearer £80k.

A hell of a lot of money but I intend to still own it in ten years time and a £70k car today will be worth diddly squat then but the ‘Cali will still be an asset.

That said, I’ve got it to enjoy. If I wanted an investment I’d buy property…..

It's similar to house prices. Up / down - it's only really relevant if you're looking to sell.

The slight difference here is that during COVID lots of 2nd hand vehicles went up due to manufacturing shortages, and the Cali was no different in this regard; however that was an anomaly and generally all vehicles depreciate over time. The more expensive the vehicle, the more you can expect to lose in value each year. New models often have a downward pressure on the previous version, but again, only relevant if looking to sell or trade up, really.

Back