Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prince Philip

I don’t know how true it is but reportedly the queen never wears a seatbelt when driving. If that is the case then she should be treated in the same way by the police as everyone else.
Court case would be interesting The Crown vs The Crown, then locked up "at Her Majesty's pleasure", maybe one could pardon oneself?

Should he really be on the public road?
Should he be prosecuted? ( bet he isn't)
I have been a truck driver like some others on this forum (c & e; i.e. artic) for many years. To keep my licence I had to take an extensive medical every 5 years after the age of 45. That continued until I was 65. Now I have to have a medical every year. With the current chronic shortage of drivers I have work until I no longer meet the medical criteria. At 67 I have a state pension but can earn far more than that just working weekends!

I don’t know how true it is but reportedly the queen never wears a seatbelt when driving. If that is the case then she should be treated in the same way by the police as everyone else.
Not illegal if you do not drive on the public highway. Also she could have a Medical Exemption.

I have been a truck driver like some others on this forum (c & e; i.e. artic) for many years. To keep my licence I had to take an extensive medical every 5 years after the age of 45. That continued until I was 65. Now I have to have a medical every year. With the current chronic shortage of drivers I have work until I no longer meet the medical criteria. At 67 I have a state pension but can earn far more than that just working weekends!
At 70 you have to declare any medical issues to the DVLA in order to renew a driving licence and this is repeated every 3 years thereafter.
Incidentally if you want to keep the 7.5tonnes driving capability a medical IS required even if previously held on the pre 1997 rules.

The Duke 'passed a police eyesight test' - which probably consisted of getting him to read a number plate at whatever the distance is for the driving test. But that doesn't test reaction time which is probably the problem.
I'm only 71 but I KNOW my reactions are slower than they used to be, I'm more careful to compensate. The duke is more than 20 years older than me.
I feel sorry for anyone who has to give up driving, being royal and having a driver available doesn't cure the feeling of losing your independence, but I'm prepared to stop driving when I need to even though we live in a fairly rural area.

Another thing - if you're blinded by the sun DON'T PULL OUT! Make sure you can see, use a hand to shade your eyes if the sun visor isn't low enough, wear polarising sunglasses (anti glare) - or just don't drive for those few minutes when the sun is at that level.

As for statistics, of course there are fewer old drivers than young ones AND they are not on the road as often, and don't drive as far. Statistics are mostly meaningless without context.

But she isn't treated like everyone else... as Sovereign she doesn't have to have a driving licence (apparently, because they are issued in the Sovereign's name so it would be, like, a recursive exercise). Although of course for all I know she may actually have one anyway.

Not illegal if you do not drive on the public highway. Also she could have a Medical Exemption.

She does drive on the public highway though and the photo was of her doing so.
Plus HRH Prince Philip was back behind the wheel today, on the public highway driving without wearing a seatbelt.
This really makes my blood boil. Not because they are elderly but because they appear to be above the law and that is totally unacceptable.

Plus HRH Prince Philip was back behind the wheel today, on the public highway driving without wearing a seatbelt.
This really makes my blood boil. Not because they are elderly but because they appear to be above the law and that is totally unacceptable.
If I remember from my law studies the Monarch cannot be prosecuted - legal exemptions.

If I remember from my law studies the Monarch cannot be prosecuted - legal exemptions.

Well the last time an English monarch appeared in court (1649) it didn't end well for them.

That's your OBE torpedoed!!!

What would you like to see happen to them ?
A 3 week stretch in Holloway ? Lol.

There are more important things in life to worry about.

None of us know all the factors relating to this incident. There will be several, there always are. It may be the fault of just one driver or as is often the case, both drivers may have contributed to this collision in some way or other. There may also be other factors outside of either drivers control such as reduced visability at the time or less than optimal road junction design etc. Either way there's no point in speculating or Duke bashing just because of who he is or his age.
The main thing is that all of those involved survived, thankfully with only minor injuries.

Last edited:
None of us know all the factors relating to this incident. There will be several, there always are. It may be the fault of just one driver or as is often the case, both drivers may have contributed to this collision in some way or other. There may also be other factors outside of either drivers control such as reduced visability at the time or less than optimal road junction design etc. Either way there's no point in speculating or Duke bashing just because of who he is or his age.
The main thing is that all of those involved survived, thankfully with only minor injuries.
Piers Morgan has launched a scathing attack on him in today’s Daily Wail. Not so much for the crash itself, but for the fact that the very next day he was driving about in a brand new (or nearly new) replacement vehicle - something us commoners would not be able to do.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...N-time-Queen-gave-Philip-marching-orders.html

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Piers Morgan has launched a scathing attack on him in today’s Daily Wail. Not so much for the crash itself, but for the fact that the very next day he was driving about in a brand new (or nearly new) replacement vehicle - something us commoners would not be able to do.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...N-time-Queen-gave-Philip-marching-orders.html

I would be more concerned about him not even bothering (or forgetting?) to put a seatbelt on.

I'm sorry, I haven't bothered to read the article. I'm sure the Duke has access to a whole fleet of cars so what does it matter whether it's one of those or a brand new one, which I don't think it was. Like many commoners, I have access to at least two vehicles and if one of them were damaged in an accident I'd probably use the other, that is of course if I hadn't taken up the provision in my insurance policy for a replacement hire car if mine is out of action pending either repair or a decision about such.

If Mr Morgan was fizzing about the Duke's ability to buy another car straight away without any financial discomfort then some people are lucky enough to be able to just that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement is merely borrowed until something can be sorted out, probably from elsewhere within the Royal estates. Anyway who really cares?

If his comments were about whether the Duke should be driving, I'm am sure that he receives much more medical scrutiny than most other drivers regardless of their age and he will have been regularly accessed. If not, it's up to the relevant authorities to determine if he's fit to drive following this crash, not Piers Morgan.

Last edited:
The replacement land rover was probably donated by the local dealer for a bit of free advertising

The replacement will almost certainly have come from a standby pool at LR's special vehicles div at Gaydon (I think). While probably not armoured like some of the royal cars, it will have some special kit including comms.

The local LR dealer won't have got a look in.

Went to read the link but then realized it was the Mail and new the story would be a complete pile of Bullshit!

Maybe its a replacement vehicle delivered by Mr Wolf.

wlf-20150408091028171.jpg

I was impressed how quickly an 'old' Freelander could be provided. The D of E obviously appreciates the older and less bling variety of Land Rover.

Back