Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prince Philip

Went to read the link but then realized it was the Mail and new the story would be a complete pile of Bullshit!
It is actually a rather good rant. The opening sentence is a real cracker:

Prince Philip is the rudest human being I have ever met.

It continues...

The pictures showed a defiant Philip snarling at the wheel.

His message was clear: ‘You won’t stop me driving, I’m rich enough to get a new car whenever I like, and I don’t care about obeying the law of the land.’

And frankly, he made me sick to my stomach.

What astonishing arrogance!

It is an amusing read. The odd thing is, most of what Piers Morgan writes about Prince Philip reminds me of... Piers Morgan.

Last edited:
Having met Piers Morgan twice, once in an academic role and the other in social campaigner role, I have total sympathy with the Duke of Hazard for having to share the same room as him.

Long Live The Duke!

Whilst he isn't specifically "above the law" himself, his wife Lizzy is "above the law" and I'm sure she would issue him a Royal Pardon once she gets fed-up with him moping about the castle :D

None of us know all the factors relating to this incident. There will be several, there always are. It may be the fault of just one driver or as is often the case, both drivers may have contributed to this collision in some way or other. There may also be other factors outside of either drivers control such as reduced visability at the time or less than optimal road junction design etc. Either way there's no point in speculating or Duke bashing just because of who he is or his age.
The main thing is that all of those involved survived, thankfully with only minor injuries.
It turns out he was obviously at fault. Looks like he’s listened to some sensible advice. Just glad he’s done the decent thing and handed in his licence before anyone gets seriously hurt.

It turns out he was obviously at fault. Looks like he’s listened to some sensible advice. Just glad he’s done the decent thing and handed in his licence before anyone gets seriously hurt.
Maybe it was suggested to him that his wife’s prosecution service would be less likely to pursue charges if he gave up his license.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

He has always got liz to ferry him around.

Maybe it was suggested to him that his wife’s prosecution service would be less likely to pursue charges if he gave up his license.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
To be fair to the police that’s exactly how they dealt with my father-in-law. At the age of 92 he was responsible for several accidents in succession but would not listen to reason. He had a clean licence so, when the police said to him that if he didn’t hand it in he would be prosecuted for dangerous driving, he decided to comply with their request, but with his pride intact.
I dread the moment when I can no longer drive but, hopefully, I’ve got a few years yet.

Just because a report on this incident has been passed to the CPS it doesn't necessarily mean that a prosecution will follow or that he was wholly at fault. Without knowing the full facts there is nothing obvious about it. His deciding to surrender his license may well be directly as a result of this accident or he may just have decided that it was time to quit. It was quite a dramatic shunt for anyone to have been involved in and at 97 it must have shaken his confidence considerably.

I am in no way defending him but merely stating the obvious. Only a few people know the full facts so it's best not to speculate.

Just because a report on this incident has been passed to the CPS it doesn't necessarily mean that a prosecution will follow or that he was wholly at fault. Without knowing the full facts there is nothing obvious about it. His deciding to surrender his license may well be directly as a result of this accident or he may just have decided that it was time to quit. It was quite a dramatic shunt for anyone to have been involved in and at 97 it must have shaken his confidence considerably.

I am in no way defending him but merely stating the obvious. Only a few people know the full facts so it's best not to speculate.
“Obviously” is probably the wrong word but you’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. Based on everything that I’ve read and heard I believe that he was to blame. We’ve all made mistakes when driving but, at the age of 97, he was probably right to call it a day.

He still has the option of driving on Estate Roads only I presume, if not he can use a Pony & Trap.

“Obviously” is probably the wrong word but you’re entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine. Based on everything that I’ve read and heard I believe that he was to blame. We’ve all made mistakes when driving but, at the age of 97, he was probably right to call it a day.
And of course nothing to say that the other car was travelling within the speed limit and if it was I would love to know the dynamics of the collision that caused a 4x4 to be toppled over.
Why is society so quick to apportion blame without knowing the full facts.

Well you may be right. However my point is simply that unless someone is an actual witness or is privy to the contents of the police report then what right do any of us have to form an opinion.

The old guy had an accident due (probably) to an error of judgement; which of us hasn’t done that? Now he’s decided his driving days are over. Good for him. Give him a break.

Well you may be right. However my point is simply that unless someone is an actual witness or is privy to the contents of the police report then what right do any of us have to form an opinion.
Rightly or wrongly we’re all forming opinions all of the time based on what we observe/experience. Nothing wrong with that as long as we don’t try to force them on others, think that we’re always right or pretend to be perfect.

The old guy had an accident due (probably) to an error of judgement; which of us hasn’t done that? Now he’s decided his driving days are over. Good for him. Give him a break.
Totally agree.

Back