Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

("Opaque")Glass options

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I remain confused as to the latest offerings for double glazing, privacy and laminated glass.

When I hired a 3 year old Cali it sounded like the side window on our sliding door was open when I drove along. On the test drive today it was ok.

I want a slight tint and for it to be quiet. I think that going with the standard option might do this for me, but I wonder about lamination.

Does lamination help eliminate noise and help with heat loss?
Does lamination have to come with privacy (much darker) tinting?

Our rep today was not convincing in his answers on this issue.

Grateful for any opinions or advice.

Re: ("Opaque")Glass options

I would think twice about not going for privacy glass, without it you will feel like you are in a goldfish bowl.

I know what you mean, it is just that privacy glass reduces the light inside. If I feel watched I'd probably use the blind.

As I understand it.

There are 3 options.

1, Standard with no Privacy Glass.

2. With Privacy Glass the Rear three windows are also double glazed. Cab is tinted.

3. Laminated has no Privacy Glass option. You will have to apply tinting later or feel like you are in a goldfish bowl.

If in doubt I would go with the Privacy Glass option. We thought it was perfect for our needs.

You are probably right Campandfly.

The salesman said that double-glazing is standard. This has a slight tint but is not very dark.

He also said that all vehicle glass is laminated. So, when I asked what the lamination pack was it went a bit quiet.

Hi Acer

I have found that people that Rent California's out for a living have most of the answers.

As they have experienced the majority of issues when it comes to maintaining the vehicle including useful options and what is impractical.

My decision to go with Privacy Glass was after hiring one and speaking to an unbiased rental man.

Hi Acer,
I'd go Privacy Glass for certain. The demo vehicle we initially tried had Standard Glass. I'd agree with others, it did seem like a Goldfish Bowl.
When we picked up our Cali, with Privacy Glass, the thing we noted was we felt it looked aesthetically more pleasing, but interestingly, when inside it seemed just as well lit as the Standard Glass version.

I guess it's a personal choice on the aesthetics though ;)

Did you look inside a privacy glass vehicle? Can you not see in at all? Equally, was it dark on the inside? I'm starting to think about how a goldfish might feel - other than dizzy from going round in circles (which is how these decisions are starting to make me feel)

Okay, so I could go for "laminated glass pack, including laminated privacy glass..." (£506) instead of the "privacy glass with heat insulation" (£306). But with the former I seem to lose double-glazing (that I think comes as standard all round).

The question is then," is it better to have lamination or double glazing?".

:?

Re: ("Opaque")Glass options

I have the "Travel Pack" that includes "laminated glass in cab and privacy glass in passenger compartment".

The rear three windows are still double glazed.