Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Problem with auxiliary heater in brand new Cali

The clicking the heater makes is the fuel pump, it is actually barely audible from outside the van, even stood right next to it, not enough to be disturbing and certainly not from a 6m or more range.

A rubber gasket between at and wherever it is bolted to the van would probably make for a quiet experience inside the vehicle too (although it can be a good reminder it is on once the van is up to temperature and the blower has backed right off!)

Does everyone get this loud clicking from the heater? We've used the heater for the last two nights and its been loud enough to wake us up several times in the early hours. It's only our second trip but I don't remember the same level of noise from the heater on our first trip a couple of weeks ago. Also, the smell of fumes in the awning in the morning makes me think I wouldn't want to sleep out there. Is this down to position, wind direction etc or just another Cali quirk where heater vents on the wrong side? Was thinking of a dealer checkup but I think the forum is a better and more reliable source of information!
G

I've never left the heater on overnight (even down to -6 outside) as I would be way too hot!

Only have it set on "1" mainly for the kids sleeping up top. May try oil radiator next time and only use the Cali heater where there's no hook up. If the the heater clicking is the norm for Cali's it's probably not worth a trip to the dealer unless something else needs checking.
G

Clicking is normal, it's the fuel pump. Could maybe stop it by mounting the pump on rubber mounts to isolate it from the van.

Make sure you have more than one third of a tank of diesel otherwise the heater doesn't operate. This is to prevent running out of diesel overnight. :smile

Could it really use a third of a tankful overnight? Has anyone any figures on just how much diesel the heater can use?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it uses about. Point-2 of a litre per hour

I remember hearing that consumption was something like 1/4 litre every 12 hours.

Thanks Guys. Nothing much to worry about costwise just so long as you have reasonable amount in the tank.

Calikev said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it uses about. Point-2 of a litre per hour

I think I read somewhere it was inbetween 0.1 to 0.3 l/hour... Will check in my owner's manual later.

If it works when the engine is running then it's a long standing issue which requires the replacement of a valve under the fridge. I'm surprised they haven't resolved this issue after all this time. I have an 07 model and it was a known issue then.

:headbang

I too have experienced heating problems with my, albeit older, Cali. Having tried the obvious (changed the fuse, filled the diesel, asked the dealer) with no success, I am now convinced the issue is, as suggested, related to the supply of power.

The heating problem has been intermittent and I now realise that it is guaranteed to work:

a) Immediately after a long journey
b) When the Cali is plugged into the mains

If I were the owner of a brand new Cali, I would be speaking with my dealer. Good luck.

Hello Rob

I have the same problem on my older (2008) Cali - earth shunt was replaced under warranty in 2009, so that ought (??) not to be a problem . . . .

. . . but I think that my problem is related to the batteries, which now tend to lose their power more quickly, and the voltage drops to a level below which the heater will work. It is possible that the leisure batteries need replacing, which involved the replacement of the two batteries.

Has anyone done this??

lewis

lewisnoble said:
Hello Rob

I have the same problem on my older (2008) Cali - earth shunt was replaced under warranty in 2009, so that ought (??) not to be a problem . . . .

. . . but I think that my problem is related to the batteries, which now tend to lose their power more quickly, and the voltage drops to a level below which the heater will work. It is possible that the leisure batteries need replacing, which involved the replacement of the two batteries.

Has anyone done this??

lewis

The Earth shunt issue might always return, depending how it was done.
Do you have flickering internal light (if not LED), or flickering blue backlight on the central panel? The battery voltage could be displayed on the central panel, if more than 12 volts under load (for example fridge) they are ok,

Thanks - I will look again at voltage under load - and yes, light and panel do flicker.

Really difficult to get a firm diagnosis . . . . but I will check panel next time.

Lewis

lewisnoble said:
Thanks - I will look again at voltage under load - and yes, light and panel do flicker.

Really difficult to get a firm diagnosis . . . . but I will check panel next time.

Lewis

If it flickers, you do not need anymore diagnostic, it is 99% earth shunt.

See the
"Earth shunt (again)"
topic, I put there a lot information about DIY, how to check if this was properly done (the thick cable presence) and where to buy the repair kit.
regards
Andrzej

OK - I guess the download re earth shunt is available in the VIP section?? I am happy to pay up and join, but need to be sure that is what is needed and where the details are.

Lewis

Hi Lewis there is a large printable document in the download section on how to repair the earth shunt :thumb

lewisnoble said:
OK - I guess the download re earth shunt is available in the VIP section?? I am happy to pay up and join, but need to be sure that is what is needed and where the details are.

Lewis

Yes the document is a must, however the repair kit which I used and quoted have a different part numbers, which matters very little.

Thanks guys, I will join up and cough up. Money well spent I reckon.

Lewis