Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pubs with a campsite or campsites with a pub?

Jason wallace

Jason wallace

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Update from @Moakesy

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qwax2vr_iBBIB2-C-uNZaf7NtjD6fj6H&usp=sharing

Much in the same vane as the "Sea View Campsites", which has provided some good suggestions.

For those potentially rare nights where Mrs W and i will be able to escape minus the kids does anyone have any recommendations or personal favourites for sites that are either next to and attached to a pub?

No specific locations so any suggestions welcome.

(I know there is an older thread of a similar topic but seeing seeing as the a majority of the posts are over 5 years old and sites do close, go down hill etc, i thought it might be nice to get a fresh list)

Last edited by a moderator:
Much in the same vane as the "Sea View Campsites", which has provided some good suggestions.

For those potentially rare nights where Mrs W and i will be able to escape minus the kids does anyone have any recommendations or personal favourites for sites that are either next to and attached to a pub?

(I know there is an older thread of a similar topic but seeing seeing as the a majority of the posts are over 5 years old and sites do close, go down hill etc, i thought it might be nice to get a fresh list)

Square & Compass Darley Dale Derbyshire. Riverside site, pub just over the road. Good food friendly people.

The Quiet Site near Ullswater, Cumbria

The true lovers knot, in Dorset....

Ye olde Horns in Goosnargh, Lancs

The Carriage house, Marsden, Huddersfield, Yorks (Great food and if you like the pennine way, on it

rivendalecaravanpark.co.uk in Derbyshire

nice gentle walking / cycling nearby too.

The Green Dragon nr Leyburn, North Yorkshire

the famous Tan Hill Inn up on the North Yorkshire hills toward Barnard Castle - was a bit tired when we stopped for a drink recently, but it’s a hell of a location for a fiver overnighter.

Just to confirm....

You are looking for campsites and not pubs that allow overnighting in their car park?

If the latter then Britstops has about 700 of them :)

the famous Tan Hill Inn up on the North Yorkshire hills toward Barnard Castle - was a bit tired when we stopped for a drink recently, but it’s a hell of a location for a fiver overnighter.

Does it have a campsite? I thought it was just purely overnight carpark stopover,

Does it have a campsite? I thought it was just purely overnight carpark stopover,

Yes Jen, you're right - got a bit carried away ... Very much a pub that you can park outside & use their outside toilet.

The Green Man
Inglewhite, Near Beacon Fell in Lancashire

The Hawbridge Inn, Gloucester, next to the river Severn. We stopped there a couple of weeks ago prior to catching the Portsmouth ferry - pleasant stopover.

The Bruce Arms - Pewsey

On the B3087 between Burbage and Pewsey. Flat field immediately behind the pub with electric hookups.

The Tudor Arms, Slimbridge Gloucestershire. Handy for the WWT

Hoggies in Lower Wick, Dursley, (at the end of the Michelwood services southbound private access road)

http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/

Great campsite and the St Peters Finger pub is 10 mins walk up the road where you get a free bottle of wine or two pints with a voucher from the campsite. The pub is lovely and does great food.
The campsite is 15 mins drive from Sandbanks in Poole.

I find that most pubs are happy for me to overnight in their car park if I email them and ask - of course I eat and/or drink in the pub.

The Fox and Hounds. Okehampton. Dartmoor.

Useful base for a walk on Dartmoor.

The Rodney Stoke Inn near Cheddar. Vast food menu, decent 'Adults Only' camping - that's anyone over 16yrs, a stones throw from some superb walking on the Mendips above Cheddar Gorge.

The Marlbank Inn at the foot of the Malverns. Yet to try it in person but anywhere offering a pitch for the night and the chance of a decent pint at the end of a good walk must be worth a visit. At least once.

Royal Oak Sparklow Derbys
Good food (book), good site & lots to do.

We stayed at the Fox and Goose for one night. It's a great pub with good food and friendly locals. It has a beautiful tree-lined field behind the pub but not really any facilities other than a single outside toilet to which we were unable to open the door. they told us in the morning that we were turning the handle the wrong way but I still think it was either locked or jammed.

We would go there again, but make sure we had the camping loo with us!

Highly recommend the Fish & Anchor, Offenham near Evesham, Worcs. Proper campsite, all electric pitches, toilets, showers, waste disposal.
Excellent pub meals, friendly staff.

http://www.thefishandanchor.co.uk

Last edited:
Back