Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pulling the bed down - I'm too short!

AdamsFamily

AdamsFamily

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I'm 5'2 and can barely reach to pull down the top bed when its up.
I made the mistake of grabbing the lower part (interior roof) which start to bow so let go and went and grabbed a step.

If the seats are turned around facing back that makes it easy, but just wondering if anyone has attached a strap to the frame to pull it down?

While it doesn't need much of a shove, I'd be a bit careful with where a strap would be attached and the path the strap would take (i.e. would it exert any force on the shutter mechanism, even when fully retracted, for instance). I know it's a bit of an obvious answer, but is there any reason why you can't just stand on the seat given that works for you? If you're camping you're likely to have at least one of the seats rotated and even if they're not rotated, you can still stand in the gap between the seats when the roof is up and with an armrest raised, stand on the seat base?

I was just thinking more of a strap grab handle about a foot long fixed somewhere to the end frame that I can use to pull the bed frame down. New van so its really stiff (or that may just be normal).
No, you're right, I could, and have stood on the seat once when it was turned around.
Its only been up 3 times (had it almost two weeks and its only just stopped raining) and the second time was when I grabbed the lower section and decided to grab a step.
Not tried standing on, between the two seats but worth a look.
We may end up getting the ladder yet so that will solve all problems - but until then, just out for ideas...

What about two loops of string hanging over where the gas struts attach to the bed at the top? If you then pull on them evenly, you're essentially just pulling on the struts.

you could try a "boot horn" if you get a strong one that has a good shaped hook on the end...