Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quechua Air Seconds Base XL Shelter is made for VW

My decathlon has them both on display. It's a lot smaller inside, but would handle bad weather better. You will get the cali table and chairs inside it, but not much else.
We have two of the pop up ones and love them. They do handle weather very well. They interlock together nicely giving the option of a much bigger and flexible space. Using Peggy Pegs we can have them both up or down in about 15mins

Our next challenge is to make a tunnel to link them to the Cali. Will post a thread once we have made one.

Just had a week away with ours and was pretty pleased with it.

Canary Bird, I see you were drying towels off the 2 poles. We did this initially but noticed the poles sagging a bit so stopped. Suspect if you have some heavy wet towels hanging off it combined with a strong gust of wind it could cause the pole to break. Maybe the reason for your issue.
>>> I understand what you are saying about wet towels and the pole ... but those are ultra-thin microfiber towels that weigh just ounces. I can't see them playing a role in a pole bending to a 90 angle.

Here's a sketch of the guy rope setup I have added to my Quechua Air Base Seconds for windy conditions. Using the external poles (provided to support the door flaps) to support the upper added loop. The lower added loop stops the sides of the tent from flapping so much in the wind. This rigging may resemble HMS Victory but it has withstood some pretty strong winds and provides peace of mind.View attachment 21309

I've now simplified my guy rope setup using just one big peg on each side of the tent to gather all the guys together. This minimises the guy rope trip hazards around the tent. I'm now quite confident about the tent's ability to withstand crosswinds. 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125458a.jpg 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125458a.jpg

I've now simplified my guy rope setup using just one big peg on each side of the tent to gather all the guys together. This minimises the guy rope trip hazards around the tent. I'm now quite confident about the tent's ability to withstand crosswinds. View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24558 View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24558
That looks good. Instead of sticking guy points on I am going to try 'Clingons' http://www.clingons.co.uk Should be ok if I clip them onto the seem.

I've now simplified my guy rope setup using just one big peg on each side of the tent to gather all the guys together. This minimises the guy rope trip hazards around the tent. I'm now quite confident about the tent's ability to withstand crosswinds. View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24558 View attachment 24556 View attachment 24557 View attachment 24558

Oooooops! Don't do this!!!
Camped at Tribfest over the weekend, it got breezy and the pole bent.
Better to tie the centre loop directly to the peg.20170807_125450a.jpg 20170819_145008.jpg

Hopefully you could bend it back with out too much of a wave in it.

Hopefully you could bend it back with out too much of a wave in it.

Thanks for your concern Canary Bird. It must have been a very strong gust of wind to cause the pole to bend. I have succeeded in straightening the pole without buckling it. I'm pleased that my stitching of the loop withstood the wind!

My decathlon has them both on display. It's a lot smaller inside, but would handle bad weather better. You will get the cali table and chairs inside it, but not much else.

We've used for the last 12 months. I can't fault it. Absolutely brilliant. I can erect within 5 mins and pack away about the same time to. It's compact, light, easy to store and does the job of adding just a bit more space. Acts like a store for us and somewhere to eat our meals out of the wind etc.

IMG_5047.JPG

Do I need to pay extra money for the pitch if I want to use drive- away awning?

Depends. On caravan club sites it is forbidden since they consider it beeing a tent.

Depends. On caravan club sites it is forbidden since they consider it beeing a tent.
That is not the case. They are accepted on CMC sites. I’ve got a letter confirming that and have used our Quecha many times:

Thank you for your enquiry, we have no problem with driveway awnings. Many of our members use them it does help with storage and saving you pitch while out for the day. Make sure you do book a pitch with awning space, you may also erect a tent for extra accommodation provided your main outfit is occupied and you are within you allocated pitch area.

We look forward to seeing you soon,

Kathy

Email Support Team
Caravan and Motorhome Club

East Grinstead House, East Grinstead, RH19 1UA

Think you’ll find that it’s only CL sites that are restrictive and even then it’s negotiable with the site owner. Main CMC sites, no problem.
The Quechua is brilliant!

Is the original Base XL pretty much the same as Decatlon's newer "Base Connect Fresh" offering? https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/infla...onnect-fresh-6-people/_/R-p-310023?mc=8561168

It looks very similar, even got the diagram of it attaching to a VW Bay like in the original instructions (without pop-top, I might add). I'm quite interested to give it a go, but a lot of people in the reviews suggest there is a design fault with the roof and rain does not run off. If anyone has got this newer version I'd be interested to hear your views. Tempted to buy and return if it doesnt work out in any case.