Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Stratford Upon Avon Meet - 1-3 Sep 2017 - Details Here
    France Meet - 15-17 Sep 2017 - SOLD OUT

Dismiss Notice

Quechua Air Seconds Base XL Shelter is made for VW

Discussion in 'Drive Away Anwings & Tents' started by Canary Bird, Sep 20, 2016.

1. flipflopfloss

flipflopfloss VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
    Year:
    How did you find this worked, am planning on doing the same thing :)

2. Stuart

Stuart

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    @Canary Bird have you done your Scottish trip yet? How did this cope against the midges and wind?

3. thehorse

thehorse VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Picked on of these up today.

In the bag with the tent pegs there was a plastic bag with some instructions for fixing punctures, but no puncture kit. Is this hidden away somewhere else or do I need to take it back.

Zip puller also missing on the air beam zipper.

Maybe someone bought it to raid for spares then sent it back!

4. 4NT5

4NT5

Vehicle:
    T5 Beach
    My zipper was missing the tab bit too, no sign of a puncture repair kit either, never noticed the instructions.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

5. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Hello all! I just got back this morning around three in the morning with the ferry from Huelva to Tenerife ending our trip. My computer broke down during the trip and usually only used wi-fi when able from Tescos along the way. The trip was great and we drove some 10,000kms and probably could add at least another 4-6k with ferries, but I have not tried to calculate it.

I would guess that we set up the Quechua shelter around 15 times and had it up for 20-25 nights. We ate it in it a few times, used it to store items when we drove off to visit things and they three boys slept in it for 15-20 nights. It worked great in general, but as all have mentioned ... wind and rain and midges could be its greatest enemies. Strong wind gusts in Mull literally bent one of the cross beam poles in a 90 degree angle (but it could be bent back - more or less). The midges were no problem, so I would not have waisted the energy in adding midge netting to the screen door, but just zippered down the door. It could handle rain, but rain could pool on the roof if the two cross beams were not really tight ... maybe too tight causing one to bend in rain/wind storm? It obviously could use a rain cover over the top. Having three sons getting in and out meant that the door zipper started to blow out. However, today I took my Quechua tent (musky & still a bit wet) to the Decathlon store in Tenerife (8 hours after getting back by ferry) and asked if they would exchange it for a new tent considering their guarantee, because of the bent pole and damaged zipper (with sales receipt & guarantee info sheet in hand) and they exchanged it for a new one that they had in stock. :) I now have a new tent ... but need to decide if I will add additional velcro, midge netting in the screen door, etc.

P7200133.jpg

GOPR1214.jpg

6. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Hello all! I just got back this morning around three in the morning with the ferry from Huelva to Tenerife ending our trip. My computer broke down during the trip and usually only used wi-fi when able from Tescos along the way. The trip was great and we drove some 10,000kms and probably could add at least another 4-6k with ferries, but I have not tried to calculate it.

I would guess that we set up the Quechua shelter around 15 times and had it up for 20-25 nights. We ate it in it a few times, used it to store items when we drove off to visit things and they three boys slept in it for 15-20 nights. It worked great in general, but as all have mentioned ... wind and rain and midges could be its greatest enemies. Strong wind gusts in Mull literally bent one of the cross beam poles in a 90 degree angle (but it could be bent back - more or less). The midges were no problem, so I would not have waisted the energy in adding midge netting to the screen door, but just zippered down the door. It could handle rain, but rain could pool on the roof if the two cross beams were not really tight ... maybe too tight causing one to bend in rain/wind storm? It obviously could use a rain cover over the top. Having three sons getting in and out meant that the door zipper started to blow out. However, today I took my Quechua tent (musky & still a bit wet) to the Decathlon store in Tenerife (8 hours after getting back by ferry) and asked if they would exchange it for a new tent considering their guarantee, because of the bent pole and damaged zipper (with sales receipt & guarantee info sheet in hand) and they exchanged it for a new one that they had in stock. :) I now have a new tent ... but need to decide if I will add additional velcro, midge netting in the screen door, etc.

GOPR2402.jpg

GOPR2452.jpg

P7170177.jpg

GOPR1365.jpg

7. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:

8. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    sorry! :( it seems to have uploaded multiple times, despite saying it didn't work and to try again later

9. 2into1

2into1 Née T4WFA. Now 140 SE 2010. VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    I had a meal in one of the shelters and when the wind blew, one of those poles fell out and hit me on the head! So it's a balance between too tight or too loose. Nice to hear that Decathalon were so easy with the warranty claim.

10. Stuart

Stuart

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    I bought one of these a few weeks ago and used it on a recent trip (west coast Scotland), but today I returned it to Decathlon for refund. My reasons:
    - It doesn't seem to like the wind or rain much! This is understandable if you look at the shape of it.
    - When the weather was miserable we preferred to sit in the van rather than in a big flappy tent!
    - So it basically just got used as a big storage and cooking tent, rather than spending much time in it.

For now I'm going back to our previous approach of a small Quecha popup tent for storage (mostly just for car seats), and the VW awning for rain protection outside the van. But I may try out one of these http://tente.quechua.com/en/tent/r-9,a-31,base-seconds.html for our next trip.

11. thehorse

thehorse VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Just had a week away with ours and was pretty pleased with it.

Canary Bird, I see you were drying towels off the 2 poles. We did this initially but noticed the poles sagging a bit so stopped. Suspect if you have some heavy wet towels hanging off it combined with a strong gust of wind it could cause the pole to break. Maybe the reason for your issue.

12. RFH

RFH VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I have returned from a 2 week tour of the Western Highlands and conclude that the Quechua Air Seconds base XL has not been one of my better buys and will not be joining any further excursions. As mentioned previously, It is indeed easy to put up, looks good and functions well when the weather is calm. However I have found it to perform badly in anything more than a light breeze. Even with the addition of extra guy lines, tarp clips and guys placed strategically I still felt the need to dismantle it on what I would describe as only a 'relatively windy days' due to its flapping and suspect stability. I do not have the confidence to leave the quechua Air Seconds Base unattended and for me this renders it not fit for purpose.

13. Stuart

Stuart

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Remember decathlon will give a refund if you're not completely happy. No questions asked when I returned mine yesterday

14. Digger

Digger VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Has anyone seen this version as the colour would suit the Cali much better. Quechua.jpg

15. Stuart

Stuart

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    My decathlon has them both on display. It's a lot smaller inside, but would handle bad weather better. You will get the cali table and chairs inside it, but not much else.

16. MichaelB

MichaelB VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    We have two of the pop up ones and love them. They do handle weather very well. They interlock together nicely giving the option of a much bigger and flexible space. Using Peggy Pegs we can have them both up or down in about 15mins

Our next challenge is to make a tunnel to link them to the Cali. Will post a thread once we have made one.

17. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    >>> I understand what you are saying about wet towels and the pole ... but those are ultra-thin microfiber towels that weigh just ounces. I can't see them playing a role in a pole bending to a 90 angle.

18. Highflyer

Highflyer

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:

I've now simplified my guy rope setup using just one big peg on each side of the tent to gather all the guys together. This minimises the guy rope trip hazards around the tent. I'm now quite confident about the tent's ability to withstand crosswinds. 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125458a.jpg 20170807_125437a.jpg 20170807_125450a.jpg 20170807_125458a.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. CannonDale

CannonDale VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    That looks good. Instead of sticking guy points on I am going to try 'Clingons' http://www.clingons.co.uk Should be ok if I clip them onto the seem.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Canary Bird

Canary Bird

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I love the guide wire system!

• Like Like x 1