Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question

S

stephen george

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I gather the height of a cali is 1990mm
my garage door height clearance is about 2030mm
will a cali fit through this gap or does the awning rail sit proud and cause a problem
Thanks in anticipation
Regards SG

The factory fitted awning does not exeed the 2m height. So in theory that should work.

That sounds promising although on cali pictures on classified's it does seem to jut slightly above the closed roof . Thanks for your advice THJ

I can understand you'd want to be sure.Type of wheels / lowering etc might change the height, but standard you should be ok. See this thread or this one. This one or this one. The last one is a long thread about peoples garages and fitting tehir cali's.

I gather the height of a cali is 1990mm
my garage door height clearance is about 2030mm
will a cali fit through this gap or does the awning rail sit proud and cause a problem
Thanks in anticipation
Regards SG
Important question: is your driveway leading into the garage level?
If it's not the effective height of the van can be more than the height measured on a flat surface. - without drawing a sketch its hard to explain.

If you are note sure tape a bit of 10mm foam to the lowest point of the garage opening & drive in very slowly with someone watching If you hit the foam you know its getting very close.

Also be aware that a fully loaded van with water & a full tank & worn tyres can be a lot lower than an empty one on new tyres.

Awning visually looks the same height as the roof centre at its highest point,

Bearing in mind above check of drive relative to garage floor levels you could trial tape a length of wood, copper pipe or what you have to hand to the awning with it protruding forward as a guide.

I did once read a Dutch method is to put your hand on the front of the awning and creep forwards to check clearance, never tried it as it seemed awkward to me.
Idea being if the awning has a gap/clearance then roof OK.

Check with it empty.

I had exactly the same problem. The up and over door just caught the awning. I removed it and it just fits under now. I just refit it when we go away longer than a few days

I had exactly the same problem. The up and over door just caught the awning. I removed it and it just fits under now. I just refit it when we go away longer than a few days
Thanks for all responses. In reply to paddy is it a simple job to remove the awning and can there be any detriment

No detriment but although it's not a hard job to remove the awning, it does take 2 people and more time then you would initially think. It's easy enough but not something you'd want to be doing too often.

Here's a video of how one guy does it.

It’s an easy enough job, you just got to extend the awning to remove the rear most alan bolt . Then when you have removed the two bolts front and rear you can lift the awning up and away ( fully stow the awning again once the rear Alan bolt is out)
The it’s just a case of removing the clamps ( three bolts on each into the roof) and the slide the rubber strip out

Back