Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quickest drive away awning to erect

The good thing about the Cinch for us is the way it folds flat - so easy to put away. If you don’t want to put it up for any reason it’s easy to pop under the van or in the boot or on the upper bed (roof up obviously!) whereas most awnings take up much more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a knack to folding it up, Polly has it I haven't.
She does make it look easy, Note to myself: Get practicing, but there again I already admitted i'm a lazy beggar LOL

Hey all,

I appreciate this topic has been flogged to death but due to the limited search functionality on this site, I thought I’d bring it up again ahead of the summer :D

I’m due to get my beach camper in a couple of months and I’m very keen to have expanded space for my small family straightaway.

I’m also been known on occasion to be pretty lazy and would rather not spend most of the day setting things up. Especially when the weather conditions turn…Are there any air awnings that you’d recommend for quality as well as speed for set up? It would be needed for 3 people and a dog. I know there are quite a few options out there but can’t see many reviews.

Cheers In advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk20220829_122248.jpgThe quickest driveaway awning to errect is the one you buy and then never use!
My serious point is take your time and look at the pros and cons of all the different options a trade offs that have to be made. Most driveaway awnings, even the biggest, can be erected have practice within an hour. If air beams then use 12v pump to inflate and use long torx flange head timber screws and drill to peg out. Smaller simpler awning could realistically be pitched in 15 mins. The question I would ask is saving 45 mins to pitch the most important consideration when choosing an awning? Having tried three types of awning Hexaway, Vango airpod (both polyester) then finally Outdoor Revelotion Movelite T4 polycotton the latter is the only one we actually like. But of these three its longest to errect the heaviest to cart around and the most expensive. If weather is good and there is just us (a couple) then we use the sun awning with thule sun panels to give extra shade and privacy and is by far the easiest and smallest pack down size to stow. If expecting cooler or wet weather and or we invite our children/grand children to joins then it's the full fat driveaway awning.

20220519_161559.jpg

The quickest driveaway awning tView attachment 122125o errect is the one you buy and then never use!
My serious point is take your and look at the pros and cons of all the different options a trade offs that have to be made. Most driveaway awnings, even the biggest, can be erected have practice within an hour. If air beams then use 12v pump to inflate and use long torx flange head timber screws and drill to peg out. Smaller simpler awning could realistically be pitched in 15 mins. The question I would ask is saving 45 mins to pitch the most important consideration when choosing an awning? Having tried three types of awning Hexaway, Vango airpod (both polyester) then finally Outdoor Revelotion Movelite T4 polycotton the latter is the only one we actually like. But of these three its longest to errect the heaviest to cart around and the most expensive. If weather is good and there is just us (a couple) then we use the sun awning with thule sun panels to give extra shade and privacy and is by far the easiest and smallest pack down size to stow. If expecting cooler or wet weather and or we invite our children/grand children to joins then it's the full fat driveaway awning.

View attachment 122124
If it took us an hour to put up and down something has gone wrong.

We get ours up and down in 15 minutes.

We also have side awnings, but have yet to use them.

Away in Devon/Cornwall at the money and have done a mix. Some sites with the awning. Some without. We have a baby though so it is vital to give an extra zone in changable waether.

We expect the side panels to come into their own come summer.

My serious point is take your time and look at the pros and cons of all the different options a trade offs that have to be made. Most driveaway awnings, even the biggest, can be erected have practice within an hour. If air beams then use 12v pump to inflate and use long torx flange head timber screws and drill to peg out. Smaller simpler awning could realistically be pitched in 15 mins. The question I would ask is saving 45 mins to pitch the most important consideration when choosing an awning? Having tried three types of awning Hexaway, Vango airpod (both polyester) then finally Outdoor Revelotion Movelite T4 polycotton the latter is the only one we actually like. But of these three its longest to errect the heaviest to cart around and the most expensive. If weather is good and there is just us (a couple) then we use the sun awning with thule sun panels to give extra shade and privacy and is by far the easiest and smallest pack down size to stow. If expecting cooler or wet weather and or we invite our children/grand children to joins then it's the full fat driveaway awning.

View attachment 122124

20220829_122248.jpg

Hey all,

I appreciate this topic has been flogged to death but due to the limited search functionality on this site, I thought I’d bring it up again ahead of the summer :D

I’m due to get my beach camper in a couple of months and I’m very keen to have expanded space for my small family straightaway.

I’m also been known on occasion to be pretty lazy and would rather not spend most of the day setting things up. Especially when the weather conditions turn…Are there any air awnings that you’d recommend for quality as well as speed for set up? It would be needed for 3 people and a dog. I know there are quite a few options out there but can’t see many reviews.

Cheers In advance

Hi Foley, I spent a lot of time researching this and tbh it is a very personal thing & what works for you may not for others. I bought an awning last year that I will be selling as don’t use it. I now have an Outdoor Revolution T4E PC. Best tent I’ve ever owned in 40 years of camping. There is a smaller T3E PC which would probably suit your needs better. Link below. Whatever you do I recommend some kind of porch area, saves a wind breaker & this is where we sit wind or rain 99% of the time. I would also recommend not buying a cheap tent. You get what you pay for and so try to get the best from your budget. Enjoy your beach, best investment I’ve ever made.

If it took us an hour to put up and down something has gone wrong.

We get ours up and down in 15 minutes.

We also have side awnings, but have yet to use them.

Away in Devon/Cornwall at the money and have done a mix. Some sites with the awning. Some without. We have a baby though so it is vital to give an extra zone in changable waether.

We expect the side panels to come into their own come summer.
15 minutes! Wow that's going some to pull a large driveaway awning bag out of the van, layout a base sheet, fully peg out the awning's perimeter, inflate all the air beams, fix and tension guide lines, roll out the carpets, fix lights into position, open up the table & chairs and then, and only then, crack open a cold beer to toast the start of a holiday.

Respect

15 minutes! Wow that's going some to pull a large driveaway awning bag out of the van, layout a base sheet, fully peg out the awning's perimeter, inflate all the air beams, fix and tension guide lines, roll out the carpets, fix lights into position, open up the table & chairs and then, and only then, crack open a cold beer to toast the start of a holiday.

Respect
Practice Mr Yonder. Practice ;)

I also stop after the carpet. The rest is an SEP. Someone else's problem.

Having just been down this road with drive awnings and looking at loads. The best and quickest imo is the Isabella X-Tension .... Pretty much freestanding once inflated without needing to use guy roped. Inflates unbelievably fast and more importantly packs down very quick .... And of course in terms of quality head and shoulders above Vango/Kampa etc

Having just been down this road with drive awnings and looking at loads. The best and quickest imo is the Isabella X-Tension .... Pretty much freestanding once inflated without needing to use guy roped. Inflates unbelievably fast and more importantly packs down very quick .... And of course in terms of quality head and shoulders above Vango/Kampa etc

Yeah, was seriously tempted by one of these until I noticed the price tag. If money was no issue after just buying the camper then I’d certainly go for it. It looks really easy to assemble.

Sorry, should have mentioned when recommending a Cinch Hub earlier in thread, we have, previously had an Air-Beam Awning (Outdoor Revolution) it was very good, however for lazy sods like us a PITA to put up & take down, We soon realised the space it took up in the van (& the garage at home) was way too much & also heavy to lift back & forwards. So, additional benefit of the Cinch Hub is space saving & light weight. The carry bag has shoulder straps so you can carry it like a back pack, makes a great base for spending a day on the beach. Like you, we all seek to accessorize our vans for maximum benefit, and usually the first thing people buy is an awning, including us. Just look at the amount of used ones which come up for sale on this site. I bet the majority are jettisoned due to faff & space issues. (PS- I have no affiliation to Cinch whatsoever)

I’d agree entirely with this. We bought a Vango Cove Air Low driveaway awning. It was pretty good, as a driveaway I’d happily recommend it. However, we used it once on a 2 week trip to France, it was the teenage son’s sleeping zone. But we found it was a faff to attach and unattach to the van every time we went for a drive. The 2nd time we used it we didn’t bother attaching it to the van at all, just pitched it as a tent. Then we realised we didn’t need a driveaway at all and sold it. We replaced it with a Cinch Hub tent. Smaller, lighter and does exactly what we need.

We used this. Like a cinch but bigger. I can pitch/put away by my self in under 10 mins.

Looks great when it’s up.
What I like about the Cinch is it’s a slimish disc when in its bag, which sits nicely behind the bench seat.
Thule zip-on panels are great for having a windbreak sunshade awning ‘room’ up in literally 5 mins
IMG_3002.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great when it’s up.
What I like about the Cinch is it’s a slimish disc when in its bag, which sits nicely behind the bench seat.
Thule zip-on panels are great for having a windbreak sunshade awning ‘room’ up in literally 5 mins
View attachment 122156

My last tent was similar in that it went into a flat disc and it does make them super packable. We used to fit our 4 man tent in the boot of an mx5. Spring it out of the bag and have it up in 5 mins, brilliant little touring set up. Now here I am in a 3 tonne rolling kitchen!

I think the zip on sides are great. I don't have any at the min but they are on the list. Ideal for short stops.

Not a drive away awning, but a drive away gazebo…

Arpenaz Base Fresh​

From Decathlon, it goes up in 10 mins, is freestanding with strong metal poles. Maybe not to everyone’s taste but it’s cheap, sturdy and packs away into a pretty small bag.

I agree. We always get people asking about the awning on sites. Expensive, but pure quality and one of the few that doesn’t look like a poor cousin next to a 70K van!

IMG_5163.jpeg

That looks super! Just thinking of what drive away to buy, does the Isabella take long to put up, does it pack down relatively easily?
Up and down is fast and easy. I always do so without any assistance! Packs away easy as well as it comes with a bag that - for once - is sufficiently big. It’s fairly heavy though due to the material, and as per all awnings takes space. We’ve never had to use the guy ropes as it’s rock solid and only use a fraction of the supplied pegs. No regrets at all though after worrying whether it was worth the extra cost.

Up and down is fast and easy. I always do so without any assistance! Packs away easy as well as it comes with a bag that - for once - is sufficiently big. It’s fairly heavy though due to the material, and as per all awnings takes space. We’ve never had to use the guy ropes as it’s rock solid and only use a fraction of the supplied pegs. No regrets at all though after worrying whether it was worth the extra cost.
Many thanks, definitely worth considering ( trying to not think too much about the cost!)

Back