Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rack for 125cc scooter

J

john carr

Hi would anyone know if it possible to fit a rack to say the towbar to carry a small motor scooter. I'm not keen on towing a trailer. Want something like you see on the back of motorhomes and that can be put on and off the cali when needed. :thanks

It is possible i had one for my lifan 90 motorcycle. Make sure the motorcycle / scooter weight is only about 100kgs
Sold the m/cycle as not powerful enough for two people.
hope this helps.
john

Yes. You have to be careful of the tow bar nose weight. Most of the motor home mounted carriers bolt directly to the chassis. I did see an innovative beasty recently that you may want to take a look at -I think it was an "easy lifter hydra trail". There isn't much into on the website http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm but if you search in google images for "hydra trail" you'll get the idea.

The idea is that the 'trailer' is fixed behind the an and doesn't swivel so you can reverse etc easily. The majority of the weight 85% being taken on swivelling castors. Smart. The only fly in the ointment being that it looks like the mounting mechanism relies on a standard 4 hole tow ball mount - which I certainly don't have on my removable tow bar and I'm not sure any Cali tow bars have?

The idea is that the 'trailer' is fixed behind the an and doesn't swivel so you can reverse etc easily. The majority of the weight 85% being taken on swivelling castors. Smart. The only fly in the ointment being that it looks like the mounting mechanism relies on a standard 4 hole tow ball mount - which I certainly don't have on my removable tow bar and I'm not sure any Cali tow bars have?[/quote]

I have a standard 4 hole tow bar on my Cali. fitted by Anker Towbars near Tamworth in 2006/7

There you go then - jobs a good one! If anyone gets one of these, I would love to hear how it works out. It looks like a great idea.

It would count as a trailer so you would be limited to 60 mph along with all the caravans :sad

Andy

Goldie said:
It would count as a trailer so you would be limited to 60 mph along with all the caravans :sad

Andy

Why does it count as a trailer it has no wheels. And what about a Thule bike rack on towing ball?

John :help

johntowers46 » Yesterday, 06:37

Goldie wrote:

Andy

Why does it count as a trailer it has no wheels. And what about a Thule bike rack on towing ball?

John :help

You seem be contradicting your own quote below. When were castors not wheels :?:

They might be swiveling castors, but they certainly look like wheels to me and I would have serious difficulty persuading the boys in blue it was not a trailer as the weight of the bike is supported by the castors rather than the towbar.

by johntowers46 » 19 Oct 2013, 14:41

The idea is that the 'trailer' is fixed behind the an and doesn't swivel so you can reverse etc easily. The majority of the weight 85% being taken on swivelling castors. Smart.

hydra trail 1.JPG hydra trail 2.JPG

Not quite... That was my quote.. :cool:

Rather than looking for a rack suitable for a motorcycle, look for a motorcycle suitable for a bike rack :D

Just saw this http://www.fxbikes.com/bikes/ at 57Kg it would fit on a towbar bike rack rated at 60kg. Price and availability not great, but looks like they are working on road version.

Andy

I have a towbar and electrics fitted from new. Does the trailer come with the correct electric hookup?
rob

Back