Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What Do You Use Your Tow Bar For?

Goldie

Goldie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A tow bar seems to be on everyone's list of extras, but do you really need it or use it? I have used mine to tow both my motorcycle trailer and 'tip' trailer, but I could have used my Yeti which is probably better being 4x4 and I can see the trailer as the rear window is a lot lower.

A small trailer would be ideal for carrying all that extra camping gear you only use on site, but we all cram it into the Cali. Is it because:

Not keen on towing long distances.
You have to drive at 60 mph.
Difficult to park when touring.
Expensive on the ferry.
Risk of theft.
Only use it to mount a bike rack.
Don't use it and it was on the van or seemed a good idea.
Don't have a trailer or anything to tow.

I was thinking that I could mount my old top box on the right hand side of the bike trailer and put a small motor bike or scooter on the left side. Ideal for exploring locally or getting to the beach. I haven't tried the bike rack with a m/cycle on the trailer yet, I fear it may foul it. Also not taking the Goldie camping - too much worry. :sad

Andy

P2041126.JPG

Fitting one in a few weeks, mainly for bike rack and a small trailer (but yes the trailer will be used on one week static holidays rather than touring for the reasons you describe)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

teeboy said:
Fitting one in a few weeks, mainly for bike rack and a small trailer (but yes the trailer will be used on one week static holidays rather than touring for the reasons you describe)

I was thinking about having one to mainly snap on a bike rack. Does your bike rack sit the bikes high enough that the lights and number plate are visible please?

cozmo1589 said:
teeboy said:

I was thinking about having one to mainly snap on a bike rack. Does your bike rack sit the bikes high enough that the lights and number plate are visible please?

The tailgate bike rack certainly clears the number plate and most of the towbar fitted bike racks have their own number plate and lights. Always found these people good. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

Andy

I use mine instead of parking sensors when reversing

Goldie said:
cozmo1589 said:
teeboy said:

The tailgate bike rack certainly clears the number plate and most of the towbar fitted bike racks have their own number plate and lights. Always found these people good. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

Andy

Many thanks mate, great choice there ;-)

Mine is a Thule bike rack and it has lights and number plates built into the rack.

The advantage of these is that the bikes sit low down so you can still see out of the back window a bit and it doesn't increase the height of the van.

The downside is that the van is longer so that might increase ferry or tunnel charges.

I just like the option of having the bike rack on the car or the Cali

T

We use ours to tow red things about :cool:

1001811_4579581226001_1636344878_n.jpg

554565_4579842112523_1616484801_n.jpg

:cool:

I have a Pendle bike rack on mine but have found the bike closest to the door has to have the bars spun 90 degrees as they hit the window.

used for thule bike rack....much better to have the weight on the towball rather than hanging bikes on the back door (which isnt designed to carry weight.)
Used the towbar (thule detachable ) last two days towing our caravan in the yorkshire dales (1 1/2 tons single axle ) towed superbly...no snaking...brakes and suspension well up to the job.
Got the idea as I have seen many vw vans towing caravans abroad.
took the mpg down to around 24mpg towing at 60mph where safe and legal

Altera bike rack. Not had a problem on ferries as it is not a trailer. Put length as 5.5m and has worked so far.

We ended up in the back streets of Arles with a big event on and we couldn't get out. Squoze her down a "no lorries >5 m" and slipped round a right angled bend. Thank goodness I did it in 1!
Couldn't have done it with a bike rack.
Very glad of the tow bar for non-bend ability!

I've got a neat little converter to change my Westafalia removable swan neck into a more useful "flange" towbar.

I use the "flange" for single bikes on the frame and the swan neck for towing my trailer with more bikes.

I also have one of the Thule back racks + waterproof carry bags for taking loads of extra kit when we go skiing. Will probably rest ski bases on the back rack and cable tie them to the bike rack.

20150830_141434_resized.jpg
20150822_184232_resized.jpg

Use ours for a MFT BackBox.

Too old now to clamber up on the roof to load stuff into a box.

Alan

I've got a neat little converter to change my Westafalia removable swan neck into a more useful "flange" towbar.

I use the "flange" for single bikes on the frame and the swan neck for towing my trailer with more bikes.

I also have one of the Thule back racks + waterproof carry bags for taking loads of extra kit when we go skiing. Will probably rest ski bases on the back rack and cable tie them to the bike rack.

View attachment 10645
View attachment 10647

Gavinski.
What is the "flange" adapter you refer to please. Does this fit into the detachable socket so that it has a "normal" two bolt fixing?
I'm considering getting a small bike or scooter for buzzing around after we have set up the Cali and looking at your picture it looks ideal for what we are thinking about.
Thanks for any info

Gavinski.
What is the "flange" adapter you refer to please. Does this fit into the detachable socket so that it has a "normal" two bolt fixing?
I'm considering getting a small bike or scooter for buzzing around after we have set up the Cali and looking at your picture it looks ideal for what we are thinking about.
Thanks for any info
Here you go this is where I got it from
http://www.bak-rak.com/accessories.htm

I use it for resting my foot on when I tie my laces. :thumb