Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattling wardrobe door t6.1 - warranty

T

toeknee

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
My t6.1 wardrobe door rattles. The door with the little vanity mirror in it. When closed and fixed to the latch you can wiggle it about. On bumpy roads it is highly irritating.

It is under warranty and the showroom have said that to fix it would require a full strip down of the van and rebuild of interior and even then it's not guaranteed to fix the rattle. They are going to look at other t6.1s to make sure they don't rattle in order to confirm its a warranty repair.

I don't really want to have the van stripped down (especially if its not at the factory by experts). But i don't want a rattly van either. It could even impact the future resell value if the test driver starts asking what the rattle is. My feeling is that i should ask for some kind of compensation instead.

Anyone else had this problem?

It is under warranty and the showroom have said that to fix it would require a full strip down of the van and rebuild of interior and even then it's not guaranteed to fix the rattle. They are going to look at other t6.1s to make sure they don't rattle in order to confirm its a warranty repair.
The showroom lose some credibility by threatening a full strip down before checking another 6.1? If its a faulty hinge or latch, it surely wouldn't require a full strip down of the van.

Their mechanics have looked at it and confirmed a rattle that can’t be fixed easily. I am assuming this is good faith. Their ‘warranty adjudicator’ or whatever he is called needs to make sure the problem isn’t standard on other t6.1s. That’s what they say anyway.

Mine is totally rattle free and rock solid when closed. Just had a look at the construction and it would be very simple to replace the hinges, or the door, or both.
So, unless the mouldings that the door latches into are broken (they are part of the fixed element of the wardrobe), then I wouldn’t have thought a strip out was necessary or sensible. Who knows what else will rattle after such a major refit?!

Just wondering why the door moves? Are the screws on the hinges tight?

Put a couple of the little rubber door buffers on the edge of the opening it keeps the latch under a little bit of tension & stops the rattles.- £2.99 for a sheet of them from Screwfix.door buffers.jpg

Never ever listen to those so called master techs

No rattle on mine just the stuff in the cupboards causing my rattles.

Where on the edge?

I have a wardrobe door rattle driving me barmy.
These should be on the edges from the factory and are on our 6.1 for sure. So hopefully it's just a case of popping them back on, or adding a few extras (which I have) to resolve the pesky rattles?

Mine does not have those!

Tho I think it's the cupboard above the gas bottle that's rattling but it's probably not helping. My van is parked up right to my garage door as my drive is short and obv I only hear the rattle when I'm driving, so diagnostics are taking a while! :)

Mine does not have those!

Tho I think it's the cupboard above the gas bottle that's rattling but it's probably not helping. My van is parked up right to my garage door as my drive is short and obv I only hear the rattle when I'm driving, so diagnostics are taking a while! :)
I can grab a photo of the other side later if that helps, but they are on that side too

I can grab a photo of the other side later if that helps, but they are on that side too
That would be very helpful. I'd been out with the gaffer tape but it was not getting any better & looked a bit rubbish.

That would be very helpful. I'd been out with the gaffer tape but it was not getting any better & looked a bit rubbish.
Should be a couple of factory fitted ones on that door. One top and bottom

20220415_145547.jpg

20220415_145539.jpg

Put a couple of the little rubber door buffers on the edge of the opening it keeps the latch under a little bit of tension & stops the rattles.- £2.99 for a sheet of them from Screwfix.View attachment 77488
I have been down this road. Be aware!
These little blighters are called "Bump Ons" and are made by 3M. As is usual there are many types on the market. Different diameters and heights, differing profiles etc. Not all of them are fit for purpose. A few years ago I donned my white coat and made this post: You may find it useful.

If you zoom in you can see them on the leading edge of the door

View attachment 91831
Just wanted to say that this has solved a problem for me that has quietly (or loudly) driven me mad since I got my van in Apr 2021 - and that the dealer never spotted when I asked them to look into it multiple times. Obviously a shortage of Bump-ons in the factory that week as my van has none :)

Back