Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RCD 310 DAB + Retro fit

B

bjw970s

VIP Member
Just I would post a thread on retro fitting a DAB Radio to the Cali.

Why did I fit it?

I had a standard 310 with full media fit and bluetooth and while deciding whether to get a full Sat Nav fit I wanted DAB for the improved radio range.

I had read up that the VW has the antenna's in the mirrors and the DAB aerial can be retro fitted. But, that was a more major work than I wanted on a vehicle this age.

So, purchased an autoleads windscreen fit aerial and some trim removal tools (plastic tools from local factors to avoid damage to trim).

Sourced a DAB 310 DAB on the forum for very reasonable money and it made it worth a punt.

Fitting the aerial was very reasonable thanks to youtube as was removal of the existing radio. routed the aerial down the pillar, behind the glove box and into the radio. The antenna comes with a power feed (if the coax doesn't provide the power) and that was routed past the radio and down to the fuse box. I have some rather nice fuse doublers which allow you to fit an aux power source via the fusebox without crimping or splitting the vehicle wiring.

Fitting took about 2-3 hrs and having powered it up I didn't need to power the antenna and the radio worked very well. 2 weeks later in a all weathers in rural Yorkshire driving round and I am really pleased with the radio quality and the ease of use of the DAB.

So, a punt on a second hand unit on the forum and some patience when fitting for a nice simple upgrade.

Good write up and chance you could let us know the part number of the aerial and a photo of it fitted (the aerial that is - not the stereo :) )

Thanks

T

teeboy said:
Good write up and chance you could let us know the part number of the aerial and a photo of it fitted (the aerial that is - not the stereo :) )

Thanks

T

the aerial part no is:

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/c ... mb-dab-aa1

Its branded auto leads who are as many will know a supplier of generic car audio parts but there are other brands of the same item on the net all around £20.

I should really have taken a pic before the trim went back on because the aerial requires an earth off of the body to work - there is an adhesive copper earth as part of the aerial (dark l-shaped part) which fits nicely under a 2cm d-shaped formed part of the window surround which keeps the installation neater and ensures a good bond to the aerial. Its top left hand corner of the windscreen so from my perspective quite a subtle fit for after market.

Will post a pic when I get a chance.