Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ready for blast off

cheaper than a new cali

Hmmm ..... seemed slow to me.

looks like the sort of thing we used to lash together as kids a modified Scalectrix car with a Jetex solid fuel rocket motor ( yes as a kid you could buy them! ).

Hmmm ..... seemed slow to me.
Agreed. It seemed mighty slow to me too tbh. It's interesting to see the clip was cut short also so no idea of time or terminal speed!

Blowing my own trumpet; I've hit 12.6 down the pod in my splittie
Mine has no slicks, Full MOT, driven to the event and has a full SO-42 interior. Granted its running a Turbo charged 2676 that's charge cooled and EFI :thumb

Run Why ya Brung My Bus.jpg

Oklahoma Willy, regular at Santa pod, if youve been and seen it you wouldn’t say it’s slow. A jet engine does not accelerate fast but produces a lot of thrust, so when it gets going it absolutely flies.
Slow to accelerate but very high top end speed when momentum is Gained, same as when a plane accelerates when taking of.

A petrol / diesel drag car would easily beat it off the line but would not have the same top speed.

It’s a really nice peice of engineering and still has the air cooled engine so it can be driven using the petrol petrol engine.

I didn’t know Richard Madeley’s wife was a ‘petrolhead’.

Oklahoma Willy, regular at Santa pod, if youve been and seen it you wouldn’t say it’s slow. A jet engine does not accelerate fast but produces a lot of thrust, so when it gets going it absolutely flies.
Slow to accelerate but very high top end speed when momentum is Gained, same as when a plane accelerates when taking of.

A petrol / diesel drag car would easily beat it off the line but would not have the same top speed.

It’s a really nice peice of engineering and still has the air cooled engine so it can be driven using the petrol petrol engine.

Just watched this. I still don't find it fast for the HP quoted.

From sitting in too many emergency exits I have noticed that a jet needs air going in the front? Having the cab as an effective wind blocker seems a little like form over function, or am I missing something...?

Agreed. It seemed mighty slow to me too tbh. It's interesting to see the clip was cut short also so no idea of time or terminal speed!

Mine has no slicks, Full MOT, driven to the event and has a full SO-42 interior. Granted its running a Turbo charged 2676 that's charge cooled and EFI :thumb

View attachment 56890

Pic please (of your Splittie).

Ganz ubercool. Looks like the Stasi-issue version.
(I assume the registration is indicative of performance... as in Shovel?).
hahahahaha "Stasi-issue version". I properly chuckled at that. It's 1965 so the reg was the one "it came with"

View attachment 56890

You must have been given the wrong timing slip as that one is Chris Lambourne's and was the UK record at VW Action 2014. He has the same picture on here

A 2276 turbo in heavy split could not do that time - more like 14.x seconds

He said he's was a 2676 turbo.

He might have done, but that's not an air-cooled build size.

However the photo he posted to prove it has been taken from the web page I posted above. It has the same fold!

You must have been given the wrong timing slip as that one is Chris Lambourne's and was the UK record at VW Action 2014. He has the same picture on here

A 2276 turbo in heavy split could not do that time - more like 14.x seconds
Yes, I've just seen that, it looks like they both did the time at exactly the same time :)
It could be that Dr juan is Chris Lambourne.

hahahahaha "Stasi-issue version". I properly chuckled at that. It's 1965 so the reg was the one "it came with"
AX reg suffix is Cardiff but the bus looks like a US import from the rear lights. Lovely tho. Hope to see it around.

He might have done, but that's not an air-cooled build size.

However the photo he posted to prove it has been taken from the web page I posted above. It has the same fold!
Curious and curiouser

The timing sheet is from the same lane as the British record, same date, same time, same location, in fact identical in every respect other than only one van could have done that run and achieved the British record at that time in history, but only one Van could have / did achieve that great feat!
Does DrJuan ker chaim that it was he that holds that’s that record ? And it was achieved in his van?
No wonder a person would suggest a jet car was slow, having achieved such a run In a prodigious drag van and holding such a record would entitle him to such a claim ? Otherwise one could believe the claims were at best disingenuous and at worst deliberately misleading for no other reason thean BS?

He still didn't clear that up did he.

It does lead you to thinking that he just plucked
the lap time from the internet.

Last edited: