Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Aircon - Catastrophic Fail !

M

Martyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hoping that someone can help or has experience with the rear aircon unit, I have a 2013 Cali SE:

I was doing some work on it today and wanted to take the rear mudflaps off, but in so doing managed to shear one of the 10mm bolts that attacheds the mudflap under the rear bumper. Pretty minor problem (I thought) and so had to drill it out for a self-extractor, but when I finally managed to drill through it managed to puncture what I think must be the refrigerant pipe that runs to the rear aircon unit, apparently it's right over the top of that bolt! Needless to say, all the refrigerant leaked out!

I don't think I've damaged the actual aircon unit, more likely it's the pipe that connects to the central refrigerant loop, however I don't know how to get access to it in order to attempt a repair. Does anyone have access to an exploded or parts catalogue view that would help me work out how to get access to that pipe and if the whole aircon unit has to come out! Clearly, I'm hoping not.

Still kicking myself .... should have realised there might be some vulnerable plumbing in the area.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice.

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
Hoping that someone can help or has experience with the rear aircon unit, I have a 2013 Cali SE:

I was doing some work on it today and wanted to take the rear mudflaps off, but in so doing managed to shear one of the 10mm bolts that attacheds the mudflap under the rear bumper. Pretty minor problem (I thought) and so had to drill it out for a self-extractor, but when I finally managed to drill through it managed to puncture what I think must be the refrigerant pipe that runs to the rear aircon unit, apparently it's right over the top of that bolt! Needless to say, all the refrigerant leaked out!

I don't think I've damaged the actual aircon unit, more likely it's the pipe that connects to the central refrigerant loop, however I don't know how to get access to it in order to attempt a repair. Does anyone have access to an exploded or parts catalogue view that would help me work out how to get access to that pipe and if the whole aircon unit has to come out! Clearly, I'm hoping not.

Still kicking myself .... should have realised there might be some vulnerable plumbing in the area.

Answered.

Does that mean you sent a PM?
Yes.
But this is the gist of it.
Click on “ Campmobile” and then the year of your vehicle. The circuit pipes and rear AirCon unit etc; are in the “Body” section.

Volkswagen Parts catalog - ETKA Online, Volkswagen EUROPA, original Catalog Volkswagen EUROPA

Parts catalog Volkswagen - ETKA Search Parts by original number Volkswagen, market EUROPA
volkswagen.7zap.com
volkswagen.7zap.com

Some reading.

Is it actually air con in the rear or just a separate blown air unit? Does it depend on spec?

Is it actually air con in the rear or just a separate blown air unit? Does it depend on spec?
Depends on spec. 3 zone Climatronic, aircon and heating. Manual just heating and ambient.

Depends on spec. 3 zone Climatronic, aircon and heating. Manual just heating and ambient.
It's actually a separate unit in the rear with its own evaporator, but as WG says it depends on spec. My van is an ex-demo and had the 3-zone Climatronic as an option, I doubt I'd have gone for it if I had bought it from new - we rarely switch it on.

In any event, thanks for the response. I got to the damaged pipe by removing the wheel and arch liner. I guess I was pretty unlucky, a few mm and I'd have hit the steel jacket of the pipe rather than the rubber hose. A new one is on order, expensive .....

Cali_aircon.jpeg

It's actually a separate unit in the rear with its own evaporator, but as WG says it depends on spec. My van is an ex-demo and had the 3-zone Climatronic as an option, I doubt I'd have gone for it if I had bought it from new - we rarely switch it on.

In any event, thanks for the response. I got to the damaged pipe by removing the wheel and arch liner. I guess I was pretty unlucky, a few mm and I'd have hit the steel jacket of the pipe rather than the rubber hose. A new one is on order, expensive .....

View attachment 75945
I think the rear is always On if the Aircon is on in the front, but temperature or fan could be Off or set differently. The dashboard button is just to control temperature or fan speed.

View attachment 75945
See if there’s a Pirtek depot near you. They could make one for a fraction of the VW price.

Back