Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Ride Height

C

Cali_Freaks

Just returned from our trip to the continent, whilst away and fully laden I noticed that the rear ride height seemed very low. I initially put this down to the amount of gear we were carrying and the fact that the Cali is a heavy beast anyway.
Since returning home and completely unpacking her for her trip to the accident repairers ( :cry: ) she still seems to be riding very low on the rear axle, is this 'normal'?

Thanks in advance.

Same van as me. Mine is visibly low at the rear but is "normal". (I put it down to the amount of beer in the back..) I'll measure the gap between the tyre and wheelarch later and let you know!

Cali_Freaks said:
Just returned from our trip to the continent, whilst away and fully laden I noticed that the rear ride height seemed very low. I initially put this down to the amount of gear we were carrying and the fact that the Cali is a heavy beast anyway.
Since returning home and completely unpacking her for her trip to the accident repairers ( :cry: ) she still seems to be riding very low on the rear axle, is this 'normal'?

Thanks in advance.

You park on a slope Cali- freak with the front pointing down hill ???

choplee said:
Cali_Freaks said:

Thanks in advance.

I do chops, why ?

I have noticed the same with mine and was meaning to raise it on the forum. One thing that I found strange is the requirement to pump up the front tyres more than the rear (44psi front and 39psi rear)....maybe this has something to do with it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are those the correct pressures? I thought they were supposed to be much higher than that.
Perhaps i'm getting confused with my work van which i have at 60psi all round.

I am pretty sure they are correct but will check again later today. The info is on the side of the van when you open the driver's door.

You park on a slope Cali- freak with the front pointing down hill ???[/quote]
I do chops, why ?[/quote]

when you park on a slope which ever way it is when the handbrake is put and brakes released the body will move naturally downhill with all its weight .. This in turn will push the body down towards the floor or drag it down due to weight pulling downhill slightly on the uphill wheel and on the rear as its lower than the uphill and with all the weight will push the body away from the floor .As the suspension gives and isn't solid thats why it gives and the body wants to level itself out on a hill to a limit where the handbrake and suspension stop it... I have harder and lower springs and mine does it ,but not quite as much as standard will...

maybe not my greatest explanation ,but hope you get the idea :smile

choplee said:
I do chops, why ?[/quote]

when you park on a slope which ever way it is when the handbrake is put and brakes released the body will move naturally downhill with all its weight .. This in turn will push the body down towards the floor or drag it down due to weight pulling downhill slightly on the uphill wheel and on the rear as its lower than the uphill and with all the weight will push the body away from the floor .As the suspension gives and isn't solid thats why it gives and the body wants to level itself out on a hill to a limit where the handbrake and suspension stop it... I have harder and lower springs and mine does it ,but not quite as much as standard will...

maybe not my greatest explanation ,but hope you get the idea :smile[/quote]
Er...I think so, thanks chops! :?

@Mark - those are my everyday use pressures. I go up to 46 front and 48 rear when fully laden

Unless you are getting this when you look at the Cali unladen and on flat ground of course then it shot's my comment out the water fella .. Lol

Back