Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dog Ramps

S

Solis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Good morning,

I require a ramp for my Springer Spaniel to allow her to enter and exit our recently ordered 204 auto ocean, yet to arrive. Can you please advise on the following points.

The height from the outside floor to the Cali floor (side door)

The height from the outside floor to the Cali step (side door)

The height from outside floor to the Cali floor (rear tailgate)

In addition, any suggestions re. lightweight, compact, telescopic dog ramps or similar diy creations. Thanks in advance.

Mine is a T5 SE 180 on 17 inch wheels but probably not that different to your 204 Ocean:

Side door ground to floor level - 56cm
Side door ground to step level - 43cm
Rear door ground to floor level - 54cm* (logically should be same as side-door-ground-to-floor ie 56cm but obv. depends on loading - and these are only rough measurements).

* But note that the rear bumper (height 44cm) projects quite a long way at rear (about 16cm beyond rear edge of floor)... so you wouldn't get an unobstructed run from the rear floor to the ground unless you have quite a long ramp - prob at least 100cm if it was a simple flat board. You could of course perch the board on the rear bumper but I assume you'd want to protect the paintwork somehow if so.

I think you'd be best to see if someone responds with an actual bit of kit that they use.

I made one from ply and softwood. It doesn't fold but will fit on the shelf at the back when not needed. If it ever stops raining I'll take a picture of it. I no longer need it now as we lost Molly in May, but I see you are in Essex which is a but too far away otherwise you could have had it.

The ramp is 420mm wide and 1050mm long, I've added stiffening braces underneath which are just glued on. The only difficult thing about the construction is cutting slots in the softwood sides to house the ply. You could just use thicker ply but that would add a lot of weight, as it is it just weighs a couple of pounds. The carpet is vital otherwise the dog can't get enough grip to get up even such a shallow slope and I've put foam at the top where it rests on the paintwork to prevent marking.

IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0426.JPG

The ramp is 420mm wide and 1050mm long, I've added stiffening braces underneath which are just glued on. The only difficult thing about the construction is cutting slots in the softwood sides to house the ply. You could just use thicker ply but that would add a lot of weight, as it is it just weighs a couple of pounds. The carpet is vital otherwise the dog can't get enough grip to get up even such a shallow slope and I've put foam at the top where it rests on the paintwork to prevent marking.

View attachment 26821 View attachment 26822

That’s a superb idea. Thanks.

View attachment 26821 View attachment 26822
Good job Keith - if i gave you here weight and height could you knock one up for the mother in law

Good job Keith - if i gave you here weight and height could you knock one up for the mother in law
Anything is possible but I would have thought asking your mother in law her weight would lead you to needing a ramp for yourself:Grin

Cali.jpg

I contacted the lovely people from the California Camping:thumb & they kindly showed use how to do it & what was used :)

Cali.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. It’s tricky to see but is the ramp attached to the underside of the rear shelf? Can you possibly take a picture of this? Thanks.

Also what is the make and model of the ramp?

I need to refit the ramp in the back of the Cali after we removed it so we had more space for our Europe Trip so we are going to film and put it on YouTube soon. People can then copy it (and improve it more than likely)

Cheers, might see you at the show tomorrow if you're still there :)

Dog Ramp on sale at Aldi now for all you animal lovers...

Back