Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear side panel removal

Tycho

Tycho

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Our 2006 T5 is in need of some new liner. The roof and side panel in the back have loose fabric. I am planning on doing the repair myself.
20240703_183023.jpg
Is there a way to remove the smaller panel/inlay that cover just the speaker and the bad piece of liner, without removing the complete side panel? That way i can clean the sticky remains of glue and foam en glue the velt back on. Our van is old and the plastic is getting brittle so i am a bit scared to break the pilar covers on removal to get to the screws that hold the big side panel.
I have tried to remove the smaller panel but it does not come off. It is a separate piece i can see that, but can it be removed?

Anyone with some experience in this?
Thanks,
Tycho

Our 2006 T5 is in need of some new liner. The roof and side panel in the back have loose fabric. I am planning on doing the repair myself.
View attachment 125596
Is there a way to remove the smaller panel/inlay that cover just the speaker and the bad piece of liner, without removing the complete side panel? That way i can clean the sticky remains of glue and foam en glue the velt back on. Our van is old and the plastic is getting brittle so i am a bit scared to break the pilar covers on removal to get to the screws that hold the big side panel.
I have tried to remove the smaller panel but it does not come off. It is a separate piece i can see that, but can it be removed?

Anyone with some experience in this?
Thanks,
Tycho
Probably not.
That panel will be plastic welded to each other. The only way would be to break the weld. Then you can put them apart and do the repair. The only way to get to it will be removing the whole panel so you can access the backside.
Not the easiest job, but if done successfully, it will be a nice result.

My lining there has started to get loose also. I am not waiting to have to get to it.

Thanks Triple Bee for your reply.
So either i take the whole panel out and work on it at the workbench or i make the repair in situ.
Hmmm, sleep on that for a night.

Thanks,
Tycho

what speaker is behind there ? my t6 ocean has that grilland obviously not on the other side where the kitchen is

what speaker is behind there ? my t6 ocean has that grilland obviously not on the other side where the kitchen is
If you don't have an extra sound system, there will be no speaker. Just the speaker holes.
It's probably a leftover from the (European) Multivan pedigree.

+ flying banana, it is a 2006 dutch van, the speaker hole is there, but never actualy listened at it.
Today, glueday! Used high temp spray glue and afther some scraping and chemical adhesif remover the job is done in seconds. To protect the interior i taped some plastic foil around it. Did notice that it is not the old glue that has gone bad, it is the foam layer thats completely turned to powder.
Thanks all
Tycho

20240704_153704.jpg

20240704_160555.jpg

Back