Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear window blind

GordonH

GordonH

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi

Anybody know how to repair a rip in the rear window blind.

Ive ripped ours at the seam where it joins the aluminium bar that you pull & clip (by closing the rear door while the cupboard was open ....doh!!!!)

I wonder if its possible to slide the material out and re-sew and re-slide... if that makes sense.

Alternatively any ideas on the part number for the screen and/or how to remove/refit?

Thanks both for the quick replies.

Currently got the band aid of silver duct tape but I’m probably not going to be happy living with it long term. I was hoping to remove the screen and re-stitch the seam as thats where its torn and I thought there may be sufficient surplus material on the roll to ‘re-terminate’ so to speak. Has anybody tried to slide the material out from the aluminium handle?

A new blind is the last ditch option - Calikev- assume thats cost for parts - any idea on labour or is it an easy enough DIY

Yes parts only no idea about fitting though sorry

Thanks both for the quick replies.

Currently got the band aid of silver duct tape but I’m probably not going to be happy living with it long term. I was hoping to remove the screen and re-stitch the seam as thats where its torn and I thought there may be sufficient surplus material on the roll to ‘re-terminate’ so to speak. Has anybody tried to slide the material out from the aluminium handle?

A new blind is the last ditch option - Calikev- assume thats cost for parts - any idea on labour or is it an easy enough DIY
Ther is not enough material left to cut off and re-stitch.

It is quite some labour to get the blind out.
You need to remove the rear seats, the black bag with it's internals. The upper trim and the lower trim. Then the blind is fixed in the lower trim. So, yes, a lot of work, but do-able, if you don't have 2 left hands, and a bit of guts.

Ther is not enough material left to cut off and re-stitch.

It is quite some labour to get the blind out.
You need to remove the rear seats, the black bag with it's internals. The upper trim and the lower trim. Then the blind is fixed in the lower trim. So, yes, a lot of work, but do-able, if you don't have 2 left hands, and a bit of guts.
I trust you mean remove the Camping Chairs held within the Tailgate.

I trust you mean remove the Camping Chairs held within the Tailgate.
hahahahaha. I was confused for a moment too. "Why on earth do you need to remove the rear chairs to gain access to the blind in the tailgate"

Also be careful removing and refitting the grey plastic trims i.e. around the rear screen and the part that holds the blind, the plastic can be easily stressed and changes colour to a white patch where the hidden fixings are.
When Mine was changed on my old van due to water marks through a failed high level brake light this occurred, so a whole new trim, blind and chair store was ordered and fitted.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Back