Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear window gasket...is repair place giving me a line?

neofeudal

neofeudal

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I had some work done on the rear hatch of my 1996 Eurovan CV. They had to remove the rear window when they painted the hatch. The black gasket that goes around the glass now has a small gap in one spot, between that gasket and the glass. This is not like on the side windows, where the trim/gasket goes right to the glass, and the gap was not there when the van went in for work.

The body shop says that the rear window on this model is "encapsulated glass"...that the black trim around the window is part of the window itself and so it is not a matter of getting a new gasket and putting it in. What I don't get is if that were the case, how can there be a gap between the glass and the trim now that they have completed their work?

Is a small gap in that seal a problem? I hate to introduce an opportunity for water to get in and do its work.

Just had my tailgate replaced, using the existing rear window, which was removed from the damaged tailgate. The window is bonded in, so requires a new gasket, and seal, no gaps on mine and any gaps will allow water ingress. Funilly enough on the original tailgate a bled had appeared on bottom right corner, on inspection that proved to be an imperfection in the seal

Back