Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Window Glass - Advice on new glass issue?

J

Jamie_W1821993

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
I have a 2012 California and everything behind the drivers seat is all privacy glass.

I'm currently driving round France (it's still lovely this time of year) and a week ago I unfortunately managed to smash the rear windscreen. I called Autoglass and a week later I had a new rear windscreen fitted by Carglass (france's autoglass partner).

The new rear windscreen fitted is not privacy glass and through broken french, the man told me that the glass he installed was taken from the VW catalogue linked to the VIN number. I ideally wanted privacy glass and assumed this was factory standard? I was unfortunately not really in a position to argue as needed to continue our trip added to the fact my French is not all that good!

Does anyone know if the glass is in fact clear and the privacy glass is a film that was added afterwards or if they have in fact fitted the incorrect glass?

On that age van privacy was a factory option.
Film would be dealer or aftermarket fit.
Have they fitted a double glazed unit?

@andyinluton

They have fitted a double glazed unit yes. I'm not sure how to find out if the existing dimmed glass is film or not? Im guessing film as on one window from the outside I can see some slight peeling?

@andyinluton

They have fitted a double glazed unit yes. I'm not sure how to find out if the existing dimmed glass is film or not? Im guessing film as on one window from the outside I can see some slight peeling?
Sounds likely to be a film.
i’m having a similar issue so have looked into it a bit.

from the inside, if I look at the rearmost side windows, I can see the edges of the double glazed unit. the very edge of the glass is a slightly satin surface and then maybe 2-3mm in, it becomes fairly glossy. if I look closely, the transition from satin to gloss is a little wavey as you track the perimiter of the window and I reckon this is the aftermarket fitters cut line.

the giveaway on mine is that I have one small scuff on the rear windscreen where the film has been scratched and untinted green glass is visible through. But I recon all of mine are green with an aftermarket film.

one other point I’ve noted -and I think this is a feature of film tinted windows- is that the double glazed rearmost side panel looks much lighter than the single pane sliding door glass. Both are film tinted I believe but the double glazing alters the external appearance.

hope this helps.

Tinting via film is rarely applied to the window behind the wardrobe, so that's another way to tell if it's factory privacy, or film. Also, factory privacy isn't actually very dark (most getting film, go darker).

I’ve just looked at mine. 2015 and tinted. Auto glass replaced mine 6/12ago, double glazed and tinted and I’m sure it’s not a film

I had mine replaced this year in France and the only way to get the privacy double glazed was through WV dealer with an order from Germany. It took a couple days to get the glass and a day to install and let dry.

Back