Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recipes to cook in Cali

beardie

beardie

Any good recipes to share ? Looking for some (rather than book recommendations). Interested in some vegetarian ones
Thanks

Here's one I invented in the van last year, although it's mostly based on River Cottage risotto recipe...

Leek, Chestnut and Feta Cheese Pasta.

Ingredients (feeds 2 hungry people)

1 leek
100g cooked chestnuts
Couple of slices of Feta cheese
A few handfuls of Pasta shapes.
Butter
Random dried herbs
Olive Oil or Rape Seed Oil or some other oil (not engine oil, especially not used engine oil).
Salt and Pepper

Instructions.
1. Start boiling water for pasta.
2. Chop chestnuts into little pieces. Sprinkle with salt and fry in a knob of butter and some oil for 5-10 mins until starting to go crispy. Put to one side.
3. Slice leek and fry on low heat in a knob of butter and oil for 10 mins or so until silky.
4. Around the same time, chuck pasta in water and cook for as long as it says on the packet.
5. Take leeks off heat, stir in chestnuts.
6. Drain pasta, pour pasta into leek/chestnuts and mix it all up.
7. Stir in cheese. sprinkle some random herbs and pepper to taste.
8. Eat.

This one isn't vegetarian I'm afraid...

It's another Autumn/Winter recipe, this one is pretty much stolen from Gordon Ramsey. I still haven't forgiven him for beating me in the Hellrunner race a few years ago...

Ingredients (feeds 2 hungry people)
few handfuls of Pasta shells
Salt and Pepper
2 table spoons Olive oil
75g Pancetta or bacon or lardons
1 leek, sliced
125g Chestnut mushrooms
1-2 tablespoons of creme fraiche. Or Yoghart or cream.
Parmesan

1. Boil some water and chuck in the pasta.
2. Heat the oil in frying pan, then fry the panchetta for a few mins.
3. Add the leeks and mushrooms to frying pan and season with salt and pepper.
4. Drain pasta, chuck in pancetta, leek and 'shrooms. Stir in creme fraiche.
5. Serve with parmesan sprinkled on top.
6. Eat.

Great recipe's good job you weren't here last year we had a Cali recipe competition
You would have stood a great chance of winning :thumb If I remember Iain&shani won
I will try and find the recipe's :thumb Keep em coming :thumb

Can't beat a Dhall

Finely slice onions, pop in pan on low heat, cook slow to caramelise, then set aside
At same time, in other pan, gently fry onions and celery for 5mins,
add in 2 cloves garlic sliced and brown off
Add in a tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
Add in a tsp each of cumin seeds, black onion seeds and cinnamon and mix into frying veg for 2 mins
Add a cup of red lentils in and stir
Then add 3 cups water and half a stock cube
Bing up to boil, then simmer gently for 20mins. (If going dry, add half cup water more)
Once lentils are cooked into a thick soup
Throw in chopped handful coriander and the caramlised onions
Serve with flat breads or wraps to dip in to the soup.

Yum

Put the kettle on and whil you wait for it to boil add the juce from half a lemon to a cup. Pour 3 tea spoons of honey into the cup. Pour 2 fingers of whiskey and top up with boiling water. Chill out and have a good night's sleep

aleve said:
Put the kettle on and whil you wait for it to boil add the juce from half a lemon to a cup. Pour 3 tea spoons of honey into the cup. Pour 2 fingers of whiskey and top up with boiling water. Chill out and have a good night's sleep
:goodone

Thanks. Nothing particularly original about our recipes, but we quite often take existing recipes and have to replace all the things that Rosana can't eat (Chili, Ginger, Pepper) with things she can, leading to some interesting meals :crazy That Dhall looks tasty, but I'll be eating by myself!

I haven't tried this one in the van yet, but cooked it last night and I think it'll work. It's not vegetarian again though...

Campervan Pasta Polpette.

On the grounds that no one can be bothered to make meatballs in the van...

2 juicy fat beefburgers, cut into bite sized chunks.
Some sort of green vegetable. Broccoli florets worked well, kale would probably be okay.
2 tablespoons of pine nuts.
Chopped garlic
Pasta shapes.
Handful of greated cheese, something local to where you are camping :)

1. Get the pasta going in plenty of salted water.
2. Start to fry the burger bits.
3. After about 5 mins, throw in the the broccoli (or whatever you are using) and chopped garlic into the frying pan.
4. At the last minute, add the pine nuts.
5. Drain the pasta, saving a few tablespoons of the water.
6. Mix the pasta, the cheese and enough of the reserved pasta water to bring it all together.
7. Season and serve with some more cheese!

Enjoy!
dan

ps. I got a dutch oven for Christmas. Expect more stew recipes (we've got a nice venison stew one already)

Back