Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
As the titiely gals and guys
What recommendations have your got for me or what do you run yourself as a twin panel solar installation that will last me for 10 years with no issues. Reliable, I don’t want unreliable as working away a lot and don’t want any more of my time taken by fixing / swapping unreliable kit.
Cost isn’t an option, happy to pay up to £1k
As that works out to £100 a year for 10 years.
I understand a lot of Chinese modules.
Can I use a well engineered UK or German module instead of the China modules?
Thanks in advance
Happy day after the event but still in between another !
The weird days where you forget what day it is?
Or is it because I’m coming two score years ? :D :cheers :D

What recommendations have your got for me or what do you run yourself as a twin panel solar installation that will last me for 10 years with no issues. Reliable, I don’t want unreliable as working away a lot and don’t want any more of my time taken by fixing / swapping unreliable kit.
Thanks in advance
Contact Roger Donahugh, Forum member and owner of solarcampersolutions. My single panel kit is now 6 yrs old and no problems. Many Forum members use his kit.

Sorry, can't help with a recommendation, my present set up is only eight months old, supplied by Roger Donoghue, a trade partner on this site. I'm very happy with it, but I don't know the origin of the components.
I previously owned a moho for thirteen years I requested that solar was fitted as part of the deal, but didn't specify anything except the minimum wattage. In the event, the dealer fitted a kit supplied by Sunworks. This worked brilliantly throughout my ownership. I've got no idea where the constituent parts were made.
Given that most electronics for these things are sourced in China, you might struggle.
Edit: typing while WG posting!

Thanks Guys for fast reply.
Yes, I’ve been in touch with Roger and he is a great guy, very knowledgable and helpful.
He did mention all the modules he uses are from China.
Im doing my research first on what’s available in the market, then I’ll make an informed choice.
So I wondered if there are modules that I can use that are from Germany or UK made?
I also need to learn how it all works!
I’m guessing power goes into a module and this module knows wether to send the power to the battery or not. Dependant on how charged the battery is. I understand the under seat battery and rear battery are wired together to form just one virtual battery.

Following...
Never required Solar, but now I have a couple of e-bikes. It’s possibly on the cards if it helps keep the batteries topped up.

Following...
Never required Solar, but now I have a couple of e-bikes. It’s possibly on the cards if it helps keep the batteries topped up.
Would be good to have a thread with the different kits available, reliability, how to charge the e-bikes. E-Bikes could be a viable asset for wifey & I.
Would you store E-Bikes locked to a tow bar?
How could you charge them outside?
Do they have an adaptor that needs to be plugged into a hole on the bike? Or do you remove the battery and charge inside the Buzz ?
I have so many Questions ! :D

Would be good to have a thread with the different kits available, reliability, how to charge the e-bikes. E-Bikes could be a viable asset for wifey & I.
Would you store E-Bikes locked to a tow bar?
How could you charge them outside?
Do they have an adaptor that needs to be plugged into a hole on the bike? Or do you remove the battery and charge inside the Buzz ?
I have so many Questions ! :D

Locked to the Towbar, batteries removed on charge inside the van. I’ve also fitted a couple of cafe locks to the wheels to help lock the wheel. Covers over the top too. If someone wants them, not much I can do other than make things as difficult as possible for them.

Theres an e-bike charging thread somewhere worth having a look at

Thanks in advance
As Others have said, Roger at Solar Camper Solutions provides good products and service. I went for a dual panel system which chargers the leisure batteries and the starter battery. Also went for the remote display in the pillar above the kitchen units. All good so far.

Define best? If you are looking for ‘quality’, efficiency, reliability etc...Country of manufacture is no guarantee and is often just to get round tariffs. China is a world leader in solar, amongst other things...and doesn’t just make junk.

I dont think you would find a panel anywhere that comes with a 10 year warranty. We've been using panels on van roofs for about sixteen years and had two failures with alledgedly the best panels around. Regarding control modules regardless of where they are assembled my understanding is that the majority of electonic components come from China anyway.

BTW
You may want to over-spec your wattage. No matter who you go with you will probably only see 30%-40% actual wattage in real world conditions.

i.e For a 100W panel you may only get 30-40W in real world conditions (and often much less!)

Define best? If you are looking for ‘quality’, efficiency, reliability etc...Country of manufacture is no guarantee and is often just to get round tariffs. China is a world leader in solar, amongst other things...and doesn’t just make junk.
Will, sounds like I’m talking to myself ! Pretty sure I didn’t say best.
I have to disagree about country of manufacture is no guarantee. When using parts from some country’s then the metal used made cheaper with unknown added quantities of other softer metal.
I do agree that many modules, although built in The Netherlands for example, would have Chinese made electronic components, then said components would be put together on a pcb, say in NL and sold as made in The Netherlands. I am always under the impression of when it says it has a 5 year warranty and the usual issue of a part failing is at the 1 to 2 month period, faulty from manufacturing or bad soldering, and then maybe at the 4 to 5 year period, when at end of life.
I know this as have had these issues over the last 35 years. (The reason why I paid £36 over £671 pounds for a light bar. )
I can justify it breaking in the next year/s and getting another for free with its 2 year warranty. (Everything about it is cheaper)
So maybe I should apply the same to the solar panel installation?
Solar polycrystalline panels are going to be best bang for buck.
Then get a cheapish MPPT.

BTW
You may want to over-spec your wattage. No matter who you go with you will probably only see 30%-40% actual wattage in real world conditions.

i.e For a 100W panel you may only get 30-40W in real world conditions (and often much less!)
Thanks Will, sounds like a plan.
And I guess use the compass so when you park up and lift the pop top, the panels are facing south at a 32 degree angle to get the best of the solar energy?

I dont think you would find a panel anywhere that comes with a 10 year warranty. We've been using panels on van roofs for about sixteen years and had two failures with alledgedly the best panels around. Regarding control modules regardless of where they are assembled my understanding is that the majority of electonic components come from China anyway.
Unfortunately I have to agree, I was hoping to get German / UK quality for Chinese prices. But I have the philosophy of buy cheap, buy twice.
Buy Mid range, hide the receipts from wifey ;)

Just found this thread! :)

WillWander - you get a lot more than 30-40% of actual rated wattage from panels. I sell my 100w panels and quote them as maxing out at 5.4 amps. That's 70watts. I've tested them in mid summer and consistently got 70 watts 5.4amps charging current. Panels are all rated in ideal conditions - i.e. sunny and cold.

If you average out the wattage over time, sure it's going to be much lower as you account for night, and dawn, and dusk, and winter, but at an instant glance 70% + is easily achievable through most of an English summer

Californiacation. If you want panels that will absolutely , almost definitely, last for over 10 years, without exception, I'd recommend traditional framed panels. They are more rubust in construction. I've been selling them for over 7 years to Bongo owners and had one failure in tall that time. I have made a kit with framed panels for a Cali customer before. They are of course significanly heavier (4.5kg vs less than 1kg , and 20mm or so higher). You are looking at close to 10Kg for 2 panels. These panels come with a 10 year guarantee. The catch is obviously they weight a lot, and are much more "present" in their size.

btw - most German solar panels are actually Chinese cells, assembled in Germany.

Woah, almost $5K for the 320W double panels. Def Swiss pricing......

Back