Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for Scottish trip

Chilmark

Chilmark

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are planning a 2 week trip to Scotland so wondering if anyone could help with recommendations for routes and stops, thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red squirrel campsite glencoe. We did skye and orkneys also. Never booked anything apart from a ferry to Orkney. Wild camped a few times too. Top tip keep your fuel topped up when you can fill up. Other than that all up the west coast and north coast are amazing. The nc500 route is popular but you can easy find camps and places to park going off this route a bit. Oh. Skye is veeery busy in summer. Enjoy.

Hi Chilmark
Posted our itinerary for our June/July trip earlier on forum.
Researched route from threads on forum plus own preferences if that helps? :)

Thinking about Scotland again but worried about the midge. Thinking about Culzean Castle campsite.

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

We found this website great to ensure we did not miss any place of interest while in an area. Our 2 long tours of Scotland we booked a day ahead with club sites only nearly full was CC site on Skye when we bagged the last pitch.

Glenmore campsite - Cairngorms, highest beach in the UK surrounds the loch there alongside a pine forest.
Arisaig and Morar areas - totally stunning beaches
Isle of Skye

We can’t wait to go back and explore more!

Thinking about Scotland again but worried about the midge. Thinking about Culzean Castle campsite.
We were there a couple of years ago in June, no midges although the camp shop did stock repellent and hoods!
Joined the Scottish National Trust at the castle at a good saving compared to the English version.
Lovely site, many pitches with great views with walks down to beach/castle on footpaths/quiet roads.

Skye is far too busy unless you are in low season. Personally, I’d skip Skye and spend time around the Summer Isles. Port A Bhaigh is a cracking site with an excellent restaurant. The pass over to Applecross is worth doing as well (although can get busy).

If you have two weeks then I would definitely consider including a trip out to the Outer Hebrides (Western Isles), as you'd be less likely to reach them as part of a shorter holiday, given that you're based in southern England.

Harris has the most stunning - and empty - beaches of the British Isles, and a unique landscape.

Personally I'd use the two weeks to explore as much as you can of the north west coast and the Western Isles. If you try to 'see Scotland' in two weeks you'll end up disappointed as you'll be rushing round.

I completely agree with the above posters about Skye - it's nice enough, but I'd only consider visiting it out of season.

If you have the time (and ability and inclination!) then fit anti-midge netting over the Cali mesh. The California anti-insect mesh upstairs and down is too course to prevent the intrepid Scottish midge in search of a meal. Oh and "Skin So Soft" is a waste of time.
On a more positive note, take the ferry from Wemyss Bay over to Rothesay and spend a day or two on Bute. There's great wild camping at the head of St Ninians Bay (gorgeous views and beautiful beach, follow the sign for Calum's Cabin) and visit Mount Stuart and also St Blanes (my favourite place on God's earth)... and there's a whole East coast to Scotland that is crammed with great castles, gorgeous little fishing villages and fabulous glens. (I'm in Angus so I will just mention Prosen and Clova).
Most important of all, have fun. You will be made most welcome.

We are planning a 2 week trip to Scotland so wondering if anyone could help with recommendations for routes and stops, thanks in advance

Hi
We had the same questions last year and did plenty of research on this forum which we found really very helpful.

We had a wonderful two and a half weeks in May with perfect weather. This was our route.

Stopped over at Loch Lomond for two nights
Headed up to Glencoe for one night
Then to Applecross - a must see which is all about the breathtaking drive getting there (not for the nervous driver) - just one night
Back down to Skye - did an anti-clockwise loop around Skye two nights in each site and also some wild camping
Back Across on the ferry to Mallaig and down to arisaig for a three nights - wonderful white beaches - and a small golf course - yay :)
Back through to Fort William

It’s well worth the time to drive up (we’re in Hertfordshire) - would thoroughly recommend it - we had the most wonderful time

Plenty to see along the way on that route.

AB5372C1-FCEB-4EDF-998C-19DB85A6F552.jpeg

Have a look at the book Slow Road To Scotland by Martin Dorey I have found it very useful for planning a trip to Outer Hebredies this year,the book covers the whole of Scotland

Yes, Martin Dorey's book is fun. A couple of favourite spots from our recent trip:

* The somewhat uninspiringly-named Ardfern Motorhome Park is a lovely little site on the Craignish peninsular. Basic facilities: a kitchen and a loo in two halves of a shed, but actually quite nice given that limitation. Cute little village shop and cafe not far away. And follow the road past the campsite as far as you can go to the end of the peninsular - it's well worth it, and easier in a small van than in anything bigger.

* On the way there, we took the amzingly pretty road from the Dunoon ferry to Portavadie, and at Portavadie there's a rather unexpected large (and tastefully done) marina/hotel/spa with a couple of good restaurants! Also on that road you go close to Glendaruel, where there's another nice campsite. Then the Portavadie ferry takes you to Tarbert - a pretty fishing village from where you can head down to the Mull of Kintyre, trying not to hum Paul McCartney tunes non-stop on the way.

Our van is a LWB, so slightly larger than a Cali, but we were pleased that we were never charged anything other than the standard car rates on the ferries.

And yes, Arisaig and Mallaig are great - take the (passenger) ferries from there to Eigg, Rum or the tiny but delightful Muck.

You can tell we enjoyed ourselves, despite midges!

Re the midges around Arisaig/ Skye. What is the situation for half term week end of May, is it midge season then or too early? TIA

Following. Thinking about doing a week in may in scootland.
Went camping years ago and we did Arran with a tent.
I know a week isn't very long tho.

Re the midges around Arisaig/ Skye. What is the situation for half term week end of May, is it midge season then or too early? TIA

I’m not a frequent-enough visitor to know, really; I think that would depend on the weather and the wind. I *do* remember the woman at the Glendaruel campsite telling us (when we popped in to have a look in late June), that the midges had been very bad for the May bank holiday. But I think she was mentioning it because it was surprising. Also, they are a bit more inland and sheltered amongst lots of trees so I imagine it would have been worse there...

We made sure we had [some midge screens bought from a Scottish company](https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/campervan-feature/midge-screen/) before we headed northwards. :)

Hi
We had the same questions last year and did plenty of research on this forum which we found really very helpful.

We had a wonderful two and a half weeks in May with perfect weather. This was our route.

Stopped over at Loch Lomond for two nights
Headed up to Glencoe for one night
Then to Applecross - a must see which is all about the breathtaking drive getting there (not for the nervous driver) - just one night
Back down to Skye - did an anti-clockwise loop around Skye two nights in each site and also some wild camping
Back Across on the ferry to Mallaig and down to arisaig for a three nights - wonderful white beaches - and a small golf course - yay :)
Back through to Fort William

It’s well worth the time to drive up (we’re in Hertfordshire) - would thoroughly recommend it - we had the most wonderful time

Plenty to see along the way on that route.

View attachment 41303
I’m not a frequent-enough visitor to know, really; I think that would depend on the weather and the wind. I *do* remember the woman at the Glendaruel campsite telling us (when we popped in to have a look in late June), that the midges had been very bad for the May bank holiday. But I think she was mentioning it because it was surprising. Also, they are a bit more inland and sheltered amongst lots of trees so I imagine it would have been worse there...

We made sure we had [some midge screens bought from a Scottish company](https://www.jerbacampervans.co.uk/campervan-feature/midge-screen/) before we headed northwards. :)
Wester Ross is quite special, there’s a winding mountain pass from the south. Starting the drive at Lochcarron, head along towards Kishorn - perhaps even stop for a snack at the Kishorn Seafood bar - then continue on towards Shieldaig. But about 3 miles on from Kishorn, you will see a sign directing you towards Applecross over the "Bealach". This pass is not for the faint hearted mainly single track with passing places, perfect for a California, but nothing larger. Eventually the vista of Applecross bay opens up before you, spectacular!
If you’ve time to dabble in the North Coast 500 have a look at Strathy Bay - there’s wild camping on the headland overlooking the bay next to a cemetery with free toilets and hot water in a locals built log cabin, you’ll probably be the only campervan there - enjoy!

If you have the time (and ability and inclination!) then fit anti-midge netting over the Cali mesh. The California anti-insect mesh upstairs and down is too course to prevent the intrepid Scottish midge in search of a meal. Oh and "Skin So Soft" is a waste of time.
On a more positive note, take the ferry from Wemyss Bay over to Rothesay and spend a day or two on Bute. There's great wild camping at the head of St Ninians Bay (gorgeous views and beautiful beach, follow the sign for Calum's Cabin) and visit Mount Stuart and also St Blanes (my favourite place on God's earth)... and there's a whole East coast to Scotland that is crammed with great castles, gorgeous little fishing villages and fabulous glens. (I'm in Angus so I will just mention Prosen and Clova).
Most important of all, have fun. You will be made most welcome.
Where did you camp in Angus? WE are about to do our first trip and were thinking of heading there tomorrow.

Hi Chilmark
Posted our itinerary for our June/July trip earlier on forum.
Researched route from threads on forum plus own preferences if that helps? :)
Done trip here’s link to all the places we visited :thumb

Where did you camp in Angus? WE are about to do our first trip and were thinking of heading there tomorrow.
Hi Loslynch,
I live in Kirriemuir and there's a campsite just south of us on the Glamis road called Roundyhill which is reputed to be good with a good restaurant. Never stayed there myself ( its only a mile or so from home!). Handy for exploring Kirrie ( Peter Pan etc), Glamis Castle, the Angus Glens.