Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

recommended reading please

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am looking through Amazon at campervan travel books and would like to know your recommended reading, and perhaps guides to campervanning in this country. thanks.

What I do, before heading off, is taking the Michelin map of France (I mostly go to France). Browse through the pages, look for a lot of villages with *(**), preferably a whole lot on the same page, look for black small triangles, meaning interesting places, château's, ruines, get in the van, and just see what comes across my path.

I am not really into reading about trips. I try to make my own trips.

Look at “our tour” it a motor home blog by a couple called Julie and jason it’s an excellent guide and it free - thoroughly recommend it :thumb

I’m on a few Facebook vw/camping/France/motor home groups and this forum and if anyone posts about a nice campsite or a place looks nice to visit, I save it to one of various categories that I have on Google maps.

Also some sites like these:

yes thanks. I have made a note to look at/order the martin dorey book. I am after something that contains useful info/advice on camper van life as have never done before and other half does not drive, neither of us very tech savvy and its all going to be complete learning curve for us when we get our van.

yes thanks. I have made a note to look at/order the martin dorey book. I am after something that contains useful info/advice on camper van life as have never done before and other half does not drive, neither of us very tech savvy and its all going to be complete learning curve for us when we get our van.
Don't worry. I bought mine not rally knowing if this was THE solution for me, but after the first 2 weeks I knew it was. And it took me a couple of holidays to really get to know the van, so I don't think you'll need to be that desperate.
And don't forget you have a first aid kit with you: the manual. When the first aid kit doesn't help you, then this team of surgeons will help you out!

Oh thanks Yes. what a fabulous resource it is too. reading so much on here already and learning so much from others experience. I found an app 'searchforsites' after seeing it recommended on here and that looks really useful. it shows lots of places to park up for free for the odd night, including the option of pub food and carparking which looks ideal for a treat. We are looking forward to hiring a Cali same spec as we are getting, at the end of next month and intend to stay on Dartmoor for the long weekend, just enjoying the peace and the space, with maybe a night or two in a campsite.

Personally, I find many of these “campervan” experience books a waste of money. I would not spend my money on them - “try before you by” get one from your local library or you may be wasting your money. OS maps (also available online) are must for me and a general guide book of the area you want to visit.

I found Go motorhoming and campervanning, published by Vicarious Books, to be full of useful practical information and tips.

Back