Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel Insurance

M

McDee22

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi - I've done a search of the forum and can see that Red Pennet is a recommended campervan travel insurer. But can I just check how people approach this for activity holidays... am I right in thinking:
- Red Pennet (or similar) insurance for the campervan part of the trip, i.e. with that as your primary mode of transport and with cover for campervan related issues like being without the van etc
- Then another insurer (say BMC or a standard holiday insurer) for general holiday and activity specific insurance, e.g. cancelled trips, skiing, cycling, hiking, general mishaps?

Thanks in advance

Hi - I've done a search of the forum and can see that Red Pennet is a recommended campervan travel insurer. But can I just check how people approach this for activity holidays... am I right in thinking:
- Red Pennet (or similar) insurance for the campervan part of the trip, i.e. with that as your primary mode of transport and with cover for campervan related issues like being without the van etc
- Then another insurer (say BMC or a standard holiday insurer) for general holiday and activity specific insurance, e.g. cancelled trips, skiing, cycling, hiking, general mishaps?

Thanks in advance
Depending on the Red Pennant policy you get both Vehicle and medical cover including cover for normal holiday activities/sports eg: skiing.

Steer clear of RAC European Breakdown cover for the vehicle part of cover.
I've had a nightmare dealing with them over the last 11 days.

That's good to know, Red Pennant uses Green Flag and if abroad I believe you deal with a dedicated Red Pennant phone line and service.

RAC you get a dedicated RAC European Team. Which are quite frankly rubbish...!!!

I broke down on a Monday night on the French Auto-route. After 20 mins of questions the operative realises were on the Autoroute and pick-up can only be made via the motorways dedicated services. Asked to phone back once we were rescued by them.

Immediately as we arrive at the Autoroute recovery centre we phoned the RAC to organise for the Cali to be assessed and towed to the nearest garage and to arrange over-night accommodation.
3.5Hrs later and 3 phone calls, we were finally picked up by Taxi and taken to a hotel 30 miles away.

The next day we sat in a hotel lobby chasing the RAC to take action on our van. After 7hrs of phone calls, the same hotel was re-booked for us to stay another night, and that was only possible because i handed my phone to the receptionist and demanded the RAC book us the night there with her directly.

More calls into the night to arrange a hire car next day, so we could get home as we weren't getting anywhere with the van assessment.

Next day, a taxi collect us at 9am to collect a hire car 20 miles away. we arrive at the Car hire place 10am and it hasn't been booked until 3pm.
We walk to decathlon 1.5 miles away to pick up bags to collect stuff from the California, when we finally get a car.

12:30pm we arrive back at Enterprise and informed our car won't be returning and the RAC were contacted and thus cancelled our transport..!!!
Eventually after some angry calls and a helpful girl at Enterprise, she cancels a later booking so we can have a car to drive back to Calais. This wasn't straightforward but eventually got sorted.

RAC had promised to book our ferry crossing, they failed to do that. We had to arrange our own in the end.
RAC had promised to book a hire car in Kent so we could continue our journey back home, they failed again.

Once home and after a barrage of social media posting about my experience.
The van was collected and assessed on Friday. Bear in mind we initially broke down late Monday afternoon.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but i think after the initial breakdown Monday, i would expect the van to have been seen at the latest Tuesday lunchtime...?
We were stuck in limbo waiting for responses from the RAC European team who insist they're working on it. Over the last 11 days we have 13.5 hrs logged on our phones to them.

What I've learnt from the experience, don't ever wait for them to take action. They won't and what they give you, is the bare minimum.
Chase, phone and pester and above all check your policies T&C before setting foot outside of the UK.
It may say £3k repatriation costs. But that's total costs. They offered us £200 for flights home for 3 people. Impossible to get a flight in mid-summer for that. Hire car capped at £250, you can't have a hire car and have accommodation, its one or the other, etc etc etc...

Last edited:
RAC you get a dedicated RAC European Team. Which are frankly rubbish...!!!

I broke down on a Monday night on the French Auto-route. After 20 mins of questions the operative realises were on the Autoroute and pick-up can only be made via the motorways dedicated services. Asked to phone back once we were rescued by them.

Immediately as we arrive at the Autoroute recovery centre we phoned the RAC to organise for the Cali to be assessed and towed to the nearest garage and to arrange over-night accommodation.
3.5Hrs later and 3 phone calls, we were finally picked up by Taxi and taken to a hotel 30 miles away.

The next day we sat in a hotel lobby chasing the RAC to take action on our van. After 7hrs of phone calls, the same hotel was re-booked for us to stay another night, and that was only possible because i handed my phone to the receptionist and demanded the RAC book us the night there with her directly.

More calls into the night to arrange a hire car next day, so we could get home as we weren't getting anywhere with the van assessment.

Next day, a taxi collect us at 9am to collect a hire car 20 miles away. we arrive at the Car hire place 10am and it hasn't been booked until 3pm.
We walk to decathlon 1.5 miles away to pick up bags to collect stuff from the California, when we finally get a car.

12:30pm we arrive back at the Enterprise and informed our car won't be returning and the RAC were contacted and thus cancelled our transport..!!!
Eventually after some angry calls and a helpful girl at Enterprise, she cancels a later booking so we can have a car to drive back to Calais. This wasn't straightforward but eventually got sorted.

RAC had promised to book our ferry crossing, they failed to do that. We had to arrange our own in the end.
RAC had promised to book a hire car in Kent so we could continue our journey back home, they failed again.

The van was collected and assessed on Friday. Bear in mind we initially broke down late Monday afternoon.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but i think after the initial breakdown Monday, i would expect the van to have been seen at the latest Tuesday lunchtime...?
We were stuck in limbo waiting for responses from the RAC European team who insist they're working on it. Over the last 11 days we have 13.5 hrs logged on our phones to them.

What I've learnt from the experience, don't ever wait for them to take action. They won't and what they give you, is the bare minimum.
Chase, phone and pester and above all check your policies T&C before setting foot outside of the UK.
It may say £3k repatriation costs. But that's total costs. They offered us £200 for flights home for 3 people. Impossible to get a flight in mid-summer for that. Hire car capped at £250, you can't have a hire car and have accommodation, its one or the other, etc etc etc...
That sounds like a complete nighmare! Thanks for sharing and will avoid them.

We have always just had VW breakdown cover for the van & just taken out normal health insurance on an annual policy for the family.

RAC you get a dedicated RAC European Team. Which are frankly rubbish...!!!

12:30pm we arrive back at the Enterprise and informed our car won't be returning and the RAC were contacted and thus cancelled our transport..!!!

I feel for you @soulstyledevon that must have been so stressful for you all. Are the RAC organising the repair and/or repatriation of your Cali or is that the next painful chapter?

We also had an absolute shocker with RAC Europe, back in May. Spectacularly awful. They're now on my Never Again list.

But the OP was talking about Red Pennant. As I understand it, they offer a mix of covers, so very important to know what's on offer. The components appear to be: (1) European breakdown cover including recovery of your van and yourselves if not repairable; and (2) European personal over, which looks like a typical "travel insurance" package (eg medical expenses and repatriation, loss of personal property.

If you went with Red Pennant I can't see why you'd then want any separate travel cover, unless of course you planned to take part in any special activity not covered in the Red Pennant cover although they seem to do cover most common holiday sports.

There again, as Andy says if you have VW breakdown cover you'd then probably just want one of the cheapo online travel insurance packages to cover the personal risks.

We have always just had VW breakdown cover for the van & just taken out normal health insurance on an annual policy for the family.
Same here. I’m now wondering if that’s enough…

I feel for you @soulstyledevon that must have been so stressful for you all. Are the RAC organising the repair and/or repatriation of your Cali or is that the next painful chapter?

RAC finally sorted a garage.
I asked for an update this morning. "We will make some calls and get back to you by 14:30."
Surprise surprise they haven't called back. Im currently waiting to speak to an operative

97F2CC5C-C1DE-497C-A1F2-A2E6E8E9EB5C.png

I very much doubt they would ever repatriate a vehicle. Maybe some extreme circumstances, but in their eyes most vehicles can be repaired.
From speaking to various companies, costs vary from £2.5 - £4k
One company i spoke to, said they weren't taking on any at present, as they have 200 outstanding repatriations to do...

Last edited:
Good luck and thank you.
Hope you get it resolved.

I’m sure someone will answer eventually. This is the number I would call, if stranded at the side of the road…
386500F6-F4D3-42CE-BDE2-C8FCF2AA36D6.png

I very much doubt they would ever repatriate a vehicle. Maybe some extreme circumstances, but in their eyes most vehicles can be repaired.
From speaking to various companies, costs vary from £2.5 - £4k
One company i spoke to, said they weren't taking an on at present, as they have 200 outstanding repatriations to do...
They repatriated mine (a 1963 Alfa with a jammed gear selector, would actually have been a fairly easy fix in-country if RAC had been prepared to recover it to a local repair option that I suggested). But a week after they'd agreed to repatriate it they tried to renege, they only caved after I got my insurer involved (the RAC cover was through them). It took about six weeks to get the car back, and a lot of aggro.

I was quoted £3k to 3.5k for recovery to UK by third party firms, RAC use the same ones themselves of course. They're not gong to send out a truck specially to get your vehicle, it's done on round-robin transporter runs around the continent so it's pot luck where your vehicle is and when the next truck is coming somewhere close-ish. If you need repat from the Balkans, God help you.

In-country (northern Spain) RAC were worse than useless about onward travel arrangements. We ended up fixing everything ourselves including hire car*. Eventually managed to get part of the costs back from RAC after I got home but again it was a 'mare.

* Of course this year, post covid, there is a massive shortage of hire cars everywhere because the hire companies sold off most of their fleets in 2020 and now they can't buy enough to re-stock. So this summer your chances of finding a hire car on the continent at short notice are pretty thin and will certainly bust any budget RAC etc will have for onward travel.

I think most breakdown companies will be the same. The AA and RAC are supposedly the top breakdown companies but of coarse with both of these the company subs out to the cheapest subcontractor. We had a similar problem some years ago when we had a blowout on a French motorway on a motorcycle. It was only a short time before a Copper stopped in his car and got onto whoever does the recovery on that section of the motorway. Within a few minutes he said he couldn’t wait any longer so off he went.
After about an hour a tow truck arrived and loaded the bike then proceeded to the nearest exit and then went back 20 odd miles to his headquarters. (We were about 5 miles from the hotel we had booked)

Arrived at the headquarters and they demanded €400. Our breakdown company was AXA and after contacting them they managed to get the bike released, It was Friday night and they didn’t want to release it until Monday morning.
They organised a Taxi for us and all our gear 20 miles back down the motorway.
AXA had the bike picked up the next day and got a new tyre fitted.
Of coarse I had to pay for the tyre but that was all.
We also got our €400 Euros back when we got home.
Since then we try and avoid like the plague French motorways.
If you are on an ordinary road you just call your breakdown company and they can send a recovery truck with no cost to you.
Sometimes it can be luck of the draw and ALL breakdown companies have that nasty small print. This has changed dramatically recently and some companies are much worse than others.

Do you know the actual problem with your vehicle.

They repatriated mine (a 1963 Alfa with a jammed gear selector, would actually have been a fairly easy fix in-country if RAC had been prepared to recover it to a local repair option that I suggested). But a week after they'd agreed to repatriate it they tried to renege, they only caved after I got my insurer involved (the RAC cover was through them). It took about six weeks to get the car back, and a lot of aggro.

I was quoted £3k to 3.5k for recovery to UK by third party firms, RAC use the same ones themselves of course. They're not gong to send out a truck specially to get your vehicle, it's done on round-robin transporter runs around the continent so it's pot luck where your vehicle is and when the next truck is coming somewhere close-ish. If you need repat from the Balkans, God help you.

In-country (northern Spain) RAC were worse than useless about onward travel arrangements. We ended up fixing everything ourselves including hire car*. Eventually managed to get part of the costs back from RAC after I got home but again it was a 'mare.

* Of course this year, post covid, there is a massive shortage of hire cars everywhere because the hire companies sold off most of their fleets in 2020 and now they can't buy enough to re-stock. So this summer your chances of finding a hire car on the continent at short notice are pretty thin and will certainly bust any budget RAC etc will have for onward travel.

So you understand the frustration.
Just when you need assistance most, it’s not there. The amount of garbage we were told, call after call, to later find out nothings been done or arranged.
At one point they told me the vehicle had been moved to a garage, forwarded the name. I rang the French garage, who said they didn’t have the vehicle and they only deal with Citroen.
It was a heated exchange after that, especially as I wanted to return to the vehicle to collect some belongings.

I would’ve been happy with repatriation, but it was an estimated 2-3month time-scale on my everyday vehicle. Therefore the turbo replacement that’s been recommended is my best option to get the vehicle back home as soon as possible.