Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Redesigning control panel

phsdv

phsdv

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
With so many control panels (E153) failing in the T5, has any electronic engineer come up with the idea to replace it with something new? And maybe adding some additional functionality (adding wireless for controlling via app over bluetooth for example)?

It should support the following inputs:
  • Current shunt N162
  • Onboard supply charger unit A11 (I guess status of it)
  • Ambient temperature
  • Clean water level sensor G120
  • Waste water sensor G126
  • Roof hydraulics control unit J768
  • Refrigerator box J698 (temperature gauge)
And it should support the following outputs:
  • Refrigerator box J698 (temperature control)
  • Auxiliary heating
Further it should:
  • Keep the time and date.
  • Have a small display
  • Have a small build in speaker for warnings
  • Low power consumption
Potential added features could be:
  • Bluetooth Low Energy connectivity
  • Support for better / different water level sensors
  • Local memory for logging some data
  • Extra inputs for additional future sensors
  • Extra outputs for additional future actuators
  • Support different refrigerator boxes?
First task would be to get a good description of all pins on the 3 connectors and know the voltage and current levels of the in- and out-puts. And what protocols are used to comunicate with the different connected systems.

With so many control panels (E153) failing in the T5, has any electronic engineer come up with the idea to replace it with something new? And maybe adding some additional functionality (adding wireless for controlling via app over bluetooth for example)?

• Current shunt N162
  • Ambient temperature
  • Auxiliary heating
Further it should:
  • Have a small display
  • Low power consumption
First task would be to get a good description of all pins on the 3 connectors and know the voltage and current levels of the in- and out-puts. And what protocols are used to comunicate with the different connected systems.
Page 52 might be useful.

Attachments

• t5_tech-manual.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 89
I'd doubt that the potential sales market would ever repay the production/design costs involved.
T5 being an obsolete product with a relatively low product requirement.

As a DIY project a RaspberryPi or two (plus peripherals), good coding skills and loads of time might support some items on the list?

• Current shunt N162
  • Ambient temperature
  • Auxiliary heating
Further it should:
  • Have a small display
  • Low power consumption
I got this far (T6 circuits)

E153 (Control Panel)
ConnectorPinConnected toDescription
A1 (T6ap)
1​
SC54Fuse 54 on fuse holder C54A
2​
J604Auxiliary air heater control unit
3​
4​
J519Onboard supply control unitT73b
4​
5​
636​
Earth point, onboard supply control unit
6​
SC32Fuse 32 on fuse holder C32A
A2(T32b)
1​
2​
3​
J285Control unit in dash panel insertT32
9​
Connection (speed signal)
4​
5​
6​
7​
G817Refrigerator temperature sensor
2​
8​
G817Refrigerator temperature sensor
1​
9​
J698Refrigerator boxT3adD
10​
J1029Refrigerator control unitK
4​
11​
J768Roof hydraulics control unitT32d
22​
12​
23​
13​
14​
10​
15​
9​
16​
G249Ambient temperature sender 2
2​
17​
G249Ambient temperature sender 2
1​
18​
G126Waste water level sender
2​
19​
G126Waste water level sender
1​
20​
G120Water level sender
2​
21​
G120Water level sender
1​
22​
A11Onboard charging unit, in cupboard, in battery box
23​
24​
25​
N162Battery charge control measuring resistorC1Earth
26​
N162Battery charge control measuring resistorD1
27​
E20Switch and instrument illumination regulatorT6ac
5​
28​
B563Positive connection 3, in Camper wiring harness
29​
J519Onboard supply control unitT73a
3​
30​
SC34Fuse 34 on fuse holder C34A
31​
Earth
32​
SH21Fuse 21 in fuse holder H2B
A3 (T2p)
1​
2​

The diagnostics screen appears to give the input values in a raw format.

The 4 wires to the roof control module must be some sort of encoding, that both controls the roof, but also feeds back the status and fault code, but what what i can determine there 2 are inputs and 2 outputs, so it might be a serial bus.

A

This is the sort of thing I would be up for a) if mine failed and b) in the winter when I didn't need it much.
Raspberry pi I think would consume too much power, an Arduino or esp8266 feels closer to what you want.

Key is to understand the inputs and outputs though - without that then you are onto a looser.

This is the sort of thing I would be up for a) if mine failed and b) in the winter when I didn't need it much.
Raspberry pi I think would consume too much power, an Arduino or esp8266 feels closer to what you want.

Key is to understand the inputs and outputs though - without that then you are onto a looser.
All beyond me anyway :)

I'd doubt that the potential sales market would ever repay the production/design costs involved.
T5 being an obsolete product with a relatively low product requirement.
My T5 is not obsolete, I am still planning to use it for some time.
It is not meant as a commercial product. First I wanted to see if anyone ever made something like this. If not it will be a study to see if it is feasible todo.

Agree. I was thinking of using the MCU in a Bluetooth LE radio. Many have an ARM cortex M4 or M33 which should have ample processing power for this. First need to know how many ADC, DACs and GPIOs are needed. I cannot see what CPU is now used in the control unit. The speaker is blocking my view. Eventually I will remove the speaker on one of the spare units I have to check. It would be even better if someone has an circuit diagram of the control unit and can share it.

How common is the t5 control unit? Did it survive all the way to the t6 and only replaced in the 6.1 with the digital unit, or has it also changed on the way?

I would be surprised if all of the sensors and controls are not analogue , the sensors being resistance based and the controls just a variable voltage out.

The tank sensors are certainly just dumb resistance devices. You can probably get a manual for the webasto somewhere and the fridge, maybe...

edit - forum search shows the fridge controller is a "DANFOSS BD35F/BD50 CONTROLLER" as several have been replaced. Manuals looks like they are here:

Last edited:
How common is the t5 control unit? Did it survive all the way to the t6 and only replaced in the 6.1 with the digital unit, or has it also changed on the way?

I would be surprised if all of the sensors and controls are not analogue , the sensors being resistance based and the controls just a variable voltage out.

The tank sensors are certainly just dumb resistance devices. You can probably get a manual for the webasto somewhere and the fridge, maybe...

edit - forum search shows the fridge controller is a "DANFOSS BD35F/BD50 CONTROLLER" as several have been replaced. Manuals looks like they are here:

The Control Panel has been around since about 2004/5 until the introduction of the T6.1
It suffered from 2 common problems.
1. Rotary/Push switch wearing of splines so the rotary function failed
2. Screen developing horizontal lines.
When I say common the number of failures are very small according to the numbers on the Forum.
Both were relatively easy repairs, replacement rotary control knob or redoing of ribbon connection to LCD screen.
I don't recollect many/if any reports of failure of the unit electronics.

This would be an interesting project but I doubt if it would have a wider use and certainly no commercial potential.

My T5 is not obsolete, I am still planning to use it for some time.
It is not meant as a commercial product. First I wanted to see if anyone ever made something like this. If not it will be a study to see if it is feasible todo.
Obsolete as in production terms with a now potentially reducing customer base. This is from a purely marketing prospective for a replacement panel.

Back