Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remote Solar Leisure Battery Charging via Portable Power Station? Anyone doing this?

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I'm looking at alternative options to keep the leisure batteries topped up without running the motor or installing a rooftop solar system. Can something like this be connected to the Cali's electrical system eg via a 12V port and trickle charge the main onboard batteries? The River units have built-in MPPT systems.

It’s possible but not sure how beneficial it would be. You would probably need to connect the EcoFlow to the EHU so you loose efficiency compared to having a larger leisure battery.

It probably wouldn’t work as a 12V supply unless you can wire it in parallel to the leisure battery directly which i would be wary of. Assuming you would use Solar to charge the EcoFlow, you would be better off having a portable solar system direct to the leisure battery.

if you need more battery power, there is space under one of the front seats for an additional battery with some effort.

I have the eco delta which I use when I camp without the van and as a home backup. it has a 12v output, I have not tried to attach this to the cali; those who are more wise may be able to advise what the effect of putting a 12v cigarette lighter into the leisure sockets might do? I am not sure the cali is geared up to accept this in a controlled manner but I would assume the batteries might all just try and balance?

This little guy is awesome. I have the river pro and I use it daily.
I'd suggest using it to compliment the leisure batteries rather than to top them up. You can use it to top up the leisure batteries but not natively. Instead, by a 12v DC-DC charger plugged into its 12v socket then plug that into one of the Van's rear 12v sockets.
It can get very warm at the connector ends as this could get to around 10A or more.
This will work but I would suggest instead purchasing to compliment the leisure batteries rather than to charge them.

I researched a lot this year and finally settled on the Ecoflow River Pro as an additional power source as my leisure were draining rapidly always, because of my use.
My personal set up comprises of 3 x 100W solar panels from solarcampersolutions.co.uk which come as a very quick install kit along with a Victron MPPT controller.
This took me only an hour to fit - I'm a confident person but not in any way an expert - his supplied instructions were excellent.
These plumb into the two standard AGM leisure batteries and keep them topped up all year round as I do full time van living.
This likely wont apply to you so I would advise the single 100W panel which is sufficient for most people.
The Ecoflow happens to be the EXACT width for behind the passenger seat gap. And I mean exact. Its low enough not to prevent the passenger seat from rotating, its handle allows it to be so very versatile and when driving, it charges from a dashboard 12v socket with one of its many supplied cables at a steady 100W.
Also, it sits just below the Electric hookup socket which I leave permanently plugged into the unit for the odd occasion I connect (I'm set up for 100% offgrid).
I have a permanent 4G router velcro'd to the side of the kitchen which the Ecoflow, and the van in general, uses for wifi and this allows me to remind myself of the charge status.
This helps because I can pop it out of the van with its built in carry handle (very light compared to an AGM) and plug it in under the table of a Costa and it charges to 100% in just over an hour, from zero (which it rarely gets to, only when I've not driven for a while).
I have it because it supports most household appliances but for me it's for my toaster (700W), my milk frother (400W) for my lattes which also doubles as hot water maker, and because of its glittered array of USB support, also acts as a backup for my laptop, projector, headphones, VR headset, drone and phone charger if I'm low on solar top-up during winter months.
Foldable solar arrays arent very good, in my experience, in the UK - especially outside of summer months. I used some at very high altitude in Nepal and they were amazing but I've not ever been able to replicate that elsewhere for perhaps obvious reasons.
Peak summer the foldable array will charge your ecoflow in about 8-10 hours of direct sunlight (keep moving the panels to face the sun) which is excellent, but only in July/August. Either side of this it will struggle but that's where its ability to charge from the Van's dashboard 12v socket when driving or plugging into mains at cafes (or at home for most people!) for an hour really makes this unit amazing and practical.

Biggest advantage is the utterly amazing fit behind the passenger seat! Never gets old as it never, ever moves when driving, nor rattles. No scratches or marks, just weirdly sits perfectly.

It has a drip tray on its head already so any rogue drops from the sink above doesnt bother it at all.

It allows remote operation too - if I'm out on my electric scooter seeing friends or shopping, I can switch on the different output sockets and use it to power on my raspberry pi which I have programmed to attach automatically to wifi in the van on boot up and check various devices status and report back, as well as van location etc.

Mine has 780 watt hours which roughly means I can make 30 lattes before it's near zero. My HP spectre 360 15" 2019 laptop can run for about 7 hours with heavy gaming, I can charge my VR about 25 times, my e-scooter twice, phone about 60 times and my 3 drone batteries about 10 times.

Very very versatile and a very very small footprint. A complete no brainer for a very very quick change of power use for very little/no effort as well as an emergency for topping up leisure batteries with an additional DC-DC charger if absolutely needed.

Hope the babble helps

Have you tried connecting your EcoFlow station to an external charging socket in California? Solar EcoFlow will charge the station and the station will transfer electricity to California?

Have you tried connecting your EcoFlow station to an external charging socket in California? Solar EcoFlow will charge the station and the station will transfer electricity to California?
That is exactly what I am planning to do. No reason why an Ecoflow or any other power station of adequate 230V output (I bought the new Delta 2 with the LiFePO4 chemistry) can't charge the internal AGM batteries. The Cali's electronics can't distinguish land power hookup vs power station. For me it was important as I don't have power in the garage and no hookup to main either. I went and checked my Cali after standing unused in the garage for 2 weeks without hookup (relay off) and the display still indicates >60hr reserve and 12.5V. So far so good.

As an aside I purchased the Ecoflow tax free in Germany last week. Since Jan 1st 2023, this has been a government initiative to promote PV systems.

Back